280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Hood Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:02 AM

Yeah the 200ZR used the RB20. But that was a Z31. I'm talking about the S130 2.0liter cars. Check out this link for the models equipped with such an engine: http://www.zzzing.net/index_02.htm
Old 04-24-2006, 06:55 PM

Angry Aarrrhhhh

THE NISSAN PARTS SITE PULLED THE MIRRORS!!! dam this has been happening to me alot lately! Just when I have the money to buy somthing for my Z its gone!!! Like the Konig Black mesh wheels that were on MSA!...Gone! then the Panasports! Now the fendor mirrors! Im worried soon the Cusco Strut bars and Fiberglass airdams wont be there when I go back to the MSA site!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm a Registered User!

So wait, aren't those mirrors the same as the ones on your doors? or are they slanted differently since they're on the doors? (any other differences?)

Cause if they're the same, why not just take em off, drill some new holes down on the fenders and add more wiring for the power to them and fill in the old holes...
you have to do the majority of that anyways (I'd guess) to put new mirrors on your fenders and remove the ones from the doors, unless you were going for quad mirrors.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by SpeciallySpiked
So wait, aren't those mirrors the same as the ones on your doors? or are they slanted differently since they're on the doors? (any other differences?)

Cause if they're the same, why not just take em off, drill some new holes down on the fenders and add more wiring for the power to them and fill in the old holes...
you have to do the majority of that anyways (I'd guess) to put new mirrors on your fenders and remove the ones from the doors, unless you were going for quad mirrors.

Yeah Ive looked long and hard at the JDM S130's fender mirrors and turns out they are the same shape and size as our door ones (yaaay!). I was thinking about doing this actually but my power mirrors still work and I dont think ill be able to re-wire them once on the fender. Oh and the thought of ever having to use Bondo again is already giving me nightmares....Plus I dont want to be the first to do this, Im a noob!

Lmao @ quad mirrors = no blind spots EVER!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:33 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by iluvJDM
Yeah Ive looked long and hard at the JDM S130's fender mirrors and turns out they are the same shape and size as our door ones (yaaay!). I was thinking about doing this actually but my power mirrors still work and I dont think ill be able to re-wire them once on the fender. Oh and the thought of ever having to use Bondo again is already giving me nightmares....Plus I dont want to be the first to do this, Im a noob!
The fender mirrors look quite similar, but the bottom mount angle is different than the door mirrors. If you mount the door mirror on the fender, the angle will be off by a lot. When you have your mirror off, put it on the top of your fender at the strut tower...
Old 04-25-2006, 09:09 AM

If you wanted to mount the door mirrors on the fender without modifying them you'd have to mount them on the side of the fender. The vertical surface of the fender to be more specific. The Japanese mirrors mounted to the top of the fender (horizontal surface).

But as far as wiring goes: It's just a matter of extending the current wires.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:27 PM

I'm using a pair of modified harley davidson mirrors for a fender mount. I'll be going right through the "corner" of the fender where it bends to go downward.

Since its a shaft-mount mirror, I'll be making an adapter block to mount inside the fender for the shaft to go through. this way I'll beable to have a firm mount regardless of the angle I mount the stem.

A few issues come to mind with fender mirrors though. Especially the reduction ratio of the mirrors.

I've always wondered why the passenger side mirror has a more reduced ratio than the drivers. With the bike mirrors though, both are reduced and sport the "objects closer than they appear" badging. Maby I'll get the ratio changed when I get new glass cut for them(had to bust it to drill some holes in the housing).

Anyone with fender mirrors have comments on how the view is with them farther from your face? I'd assume OEM ones use the same ratio as door mirrors...

Also wondering about placement on the fenders. I've seen some that are just about in line with the strut mounts, and I've seen some farther forward. Any reasons one place would be better than another?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:27 AM

I purchased off of Ebay a set of "Datsun Fender Mirriors" non descript, they have all the mounting hardware included Springs gasket & plastic cover for the mounting bolt) $99 shipped they do not match the contours of the S130 mirrors these probably are off of a bluebird or some damned thing but the stalks are the right length I plan to mount these on my ZX they are mor of a rounded bezel that the square of the S130 either way these should compliment the lines of my car... as soon as I get a card reader I will post pics of them
Old 05-09-2006, 01:44 PM

Here you can go right now, search datsun fender mirrors and a 225$ one comes up. There from the S30, chrome and round, so if anyone has a S30 check them out!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:46 PM

So, nobody out there with hood mirrors that can say what they like/dislike about the positioning of them as compared to door mirrors in terms of functionality?
Old 05-16-2006, 05:15 PM

Check my post, I am selling mine... $120

I paid $99.00+$35.00 shipping

any takers?

Old 05-16-2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by rxKaffee
So, nobody out there with hood mirrors that can say what they like/dislike about the positioning of them as compared to door mirrors in terms of functionality?
Yeah I found that odd too that nobody in the US has fender mirrors on their Z, no one else thinks theyre cool?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:20 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by iluvJDM
Yeah I found that odd too that nobody in the US has fender mirrors on their Z, no one else thinks theyre cool?
#1... yes, there are other Z's in the US that have fender mirrors... one was talked about in this thread.

#2... not everyone wants their Z to look like a fake Fairlady.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:00 AM
The Evil Twin

I just saw a 240Z with fender mirrors and ZG flares last weekend... it was parked right next to my car at a Datsun meet.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by NismoPick
#1... yes, there are other Z's in the US that have fender mirrors... one was talked about in this thread.

Agreed, I much prefer the look of the US market car. I think the fender mirrors are goofy lookin' To each their own however. I really don't much care for the stock mirrors at all. I was actually thinking about replacing mine with some corvette C5 mirrors or something a little better looking than the originals... The only thing stopping me is knowing that once I put a Chevy part on my car, it's going to rebel and start acting like a Chevy

Rod.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
it's going to rebel and start acting like a Chevy

Ouch!

When in Rome. ..... wait... that doesn't really apply here.

Last edited by NismoPick; 05-17-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
mmmmm fake Fairlady... yeah but imagine the stares you get from people! you know theyre not gonna know its a fake man! Theyre just gonna be like wow a classic car!

And yeah bleach its true about fender mirrors on S30s! I see alot of them with it! and I think they look great sometimes especially with the ZG flares! But why isnt there one S130 with them?

Those guys with the cool S30s from the meet? are any of them on Zdriver or any other Z forum?

Last edited by iluvJDM; 05-17-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Euro Z King

Location: Utrecht The Netherlands where owning a car is a CRIME!!
Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Yeah the 200ZR used the RB20. But that was a Z31. I'm talking about the S130 2.0liter cars. Check out this link for the models equipped with such an engine: http://www.zzzing.net/index_02.htm
The s130 WAS called fairlady Z in japan, and they also came with the l20A with e31 head, ( i have two of those in my barn)

The turbo models in japan where the l20ET

In europe we have the same bumbers, and they dont have shocks.. making them sit more flush mounted, and they are a whole lot lighter!

On my ZXT project they will be on the hood
Old 05-22-2006, 08:19 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by frank280zx
The s130 WAS called fairlady Z in japan, and they also came with the l20A with e31 head, ( i have two of those in my barn)
E30 maybe? My 1970 JDM Fairlady has an L20 and E30

I shall be the first then to put the S30 Fairlady Fender mirrors on a 280ZX I like the look... or at least I think I would like to try the look. I'll do this before my paint job though so I can change back if I really wanted to.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:32 PM

I was itchin to put the FairladyZ emblems on my Z as well, but I think I'll end up going with the no emblem at all approach.