280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Heater Blower Motor Relay or blower motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Heater Blower Motor Relay or blower motor?

Hi everybody... Happy Memorial Day.

I'm thinking that I have a defective blower motor relay. The blower moter wont come on. I checked the 15 amp fuse on the passenger side kick panel of the car, and I've also checked the 20 amp fuse on the blower motor. All the fuses are good.

I decided to see if there was any juice flowing to the wiring harnest going to the relay. I turned the key to the on posistion and turned the heat on. I accessed the relay and tested the yellow and the red wire with the relay on. There was juice in the yellow wire but not the red. I'm guessing that the relay is not relaying the juice from the yellow to the red.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 05-27-2012, 07:06 PM
The Good Twin

Sounds like a good assumption. Swap in another relay to verify.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Will do. I have to order one, I'll keep ya'll posted
Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
The Good Twin

Order one?

I believe it's the same one as all the other relays in the car. Swap in a headlight one... or another relay...

No need to blow money and time without verifying the problem first.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:51 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

It could also be your climate control switch. That is what happened to mine. After I swapped blower motors and relays. So I hooked a toggle switch to use the defroster in the winter time. But not for long. I am putting my good one out of my '81, and hopefully even have a/c this summer!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Big Poppa

On my car it was the relay attached to the blower box on the bottom. Every few years I have to do it. Last time it melted the harness so had to put one in too.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 PM

So I did swap in a different relay and nothing. Now I'm thinking it's the blower motor. Any ideas?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Get a test light, a multimeter, get something and test the circuits. Obviously a fuse is the first thing to check but I'm sure you've done that. Check the switch for no resistance to make sure its working. Apply voltage to the blower to see if it turns on.

Electrical diagnostics is a skill so don't try to be an expert overnight. Like a math equation you have to break a system down into factors that are easy to test.
Check the components (usually in order of likelihood or suspect) and if the components check good start chasing sparks. Find out where voltage is or isn't going. You'll need electrical diagrams to go this deep.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:58 PM

So all the relays were good... the fuses were good... so I decided to swap out the **** switch and bam... I have ac and heat again.

ps I love the way my ac still gets really cold. Thanks for all the imput guys.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:35 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I wasn't so lucky. I switched out the whole climate control switch. And still I had to use the toggle switch. Now I get to go through the wiring, and figure out what is wrong. No matter.....None of my actuators work anyway. I would have to replace all those just to get started. So I decided not to bother until I restore the Z. Which is 2nd in line to my T-top which will be the first. All aside. Glad you got it going. Congrats!
Old 01-06-2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Well I wasn't so lucky. I switched out the whole climate control switch. And still I had to use the toggle switch. Now I get to go through the wiring, and figure out what is wrong. No matter.....None of my actuators work anyway. I would have to replace all those just to get started. So I decided not to bother until I restore the Z. Which is 2nd in line to my T-top which will be the first. All aside. Glad you got it going. Congrats!
The other day my Z32 blower motor fan stopped working. I figured that it was time to replace it. A day later when i turned the car on, the blower came on with it then when i was driving, it shut off about 5 minutes into the drive. I again thought it was just going out. It proceeded to do this a few more times again until eventually it just gave out. I went ahead and bought a new blower motor and connected it to find out it still wasnt working. I checked all the fuses and the one relay to see if they where out. They where fine. I even replaced them to make sure. I bought a voltage tester pen ( not sure what its called but its the pen shaped object that tells me if power is comming through) and i applied it to the driver side blower motor fuse. No power came through. I tried the other fuses around it to make sure everything else is okay and power came through. So i know just the blower motor fuse block is broken, im not sure what to do from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:28 AM

My fan is starting to fail and I have been lookin at modern DC motor controller like this
Amazon Amazon
. It might be mountable inside the fan housing like the original. Not sure how much current the fan draws, so this might be over kill.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:45 PM

I purchased the DC motor controler from Amazon shown in the previous post and wired it up to my spare blower assembly and it works great! SIMPLE wiring. Positive and negative to battery. Positive and negative to blower and BAM it works!!! Will have to modify the blower housing so that the module can be installed in the duct to keep it cool. The Amazon module is rated for less than 450w continous. The blower motor pulls 180w so there should be no issues. The stem on the speed control **** may be too short to mount in the place the factory speed coontrol **** is and the wires from the speed control **** to the module will have to be extended so it can be mounted someplace convenient. I wil try to get mine set up and post pictures. This will fix so many members issues with their blower motor speed control issues. GREAT FIND aldabra.