280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Is fuel pump good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 04:19 PM

Is fuel pump good?

I am changing out my fuel pump. I found one at O'Reillys Auto, a Carter pump for $ 101. I have seen where people debate whether these are worth a crap or not? What are yall's experiences with Advance and O'Reilly's aftermarket fuel pumps?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:27 PM
The Good Twin

Is your pump bad?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:04 PM

I really don't know. I know that the problems i have been having with the car shutting off, not idiling and then running like it was new. Then back to running rough and backfiring and idiling at 500rpm or shutting off. I have changed the dist cap, rotor button, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter with new. Changed out the fuel pressure regulator with one off my parts car. I have checked all the connectors, grounds that i can find and it still runs rough, then a few minutes later it runs perfect. It feels like it is being held back like a governor on it, like it is building up back pressure and then backfiring, it runs good and then the cycle starts over again. My line of thinking is the pump may be crapping out and even though it is running good periodically, maybe the pump is not sending a constant pressure of fuel. I dont know, but i am at my wits end.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:10 PM

I wouldnt want to replace a $100 part on the hunch that its not working. Id see if I could grab one from a junkyard, then replace it, if it works then if you want buy a new one, buy it, or keep the junkyard part.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by CraigS
I wouldnt want to replace a $100 part on the hunch that its not working. Id see if I could grab one from a junkyard, then replace it, if it works then if you want buy a new one, buy it, or keep the junkyard part.
I know exactly what you mean and I don't want to throw money at this car replacing everything, but it is getting frustrating.
I have a parts pump sitting in a box, but it hasn't had gas in it for over a year. Do seals or interior parts dry out or would it be okay?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:32 PM

Yeah some of this stuff does get frustrating, but take a step back and come back at it with a fresh mind. Allthough im not sure if the pump would get rotted out its still worth a try.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM

I put on a ignition coil from my parts car, about the only ignition part i havent replaced with a used or new part. the ignition switch was going to be next, but i hated to break into that mess. Anyway with the parts coil, my backfiring and erratic idle has stopped. it had also began to bog down when i started it, but now it fires right up and for the first time ran good without any sputters. keeping my fingers crossed that this done the job. I'm usually not that lucky. thanks for the help!
I'm done with it for the night, at least tonight i can sleep thinking it is fixed, instead of laying awake trying to analyze the problem. Now tomorrow it may put me down again, like it has before, but ill cross that bridge tomorrow.

Last edited by 3XAZOWNER; 07-05-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:20 PM

I do the same thing. oh and congrats on fixing your car. (knocking on wood)
Old 07-05-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 3XAZOWNER
I know exactly what you mean and I don't want to throw money at this car replacing everything, but it is getting frustrating.
I have a parts pump sitting in a box, but it hasn't had gas in it for over a year. Do seals or interior parts dry out or would it be okay?

Hey, if you replace "everything" on the car....eventually you will have a new car

If you have your pump out of the car you can hook it up to a battery after you submerge the pickup...let it run for a while and see if it messes up. Make sure the pressure side goes back into the container so you don't run it dry...and dont have any fires around!!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:57 PM
The Good Twin

alright.... I say we get to the bottom of the problem:

#1... If you have good fuel pressure, you prolly don't have a bad pump. Check your fuel pressure before blowing $100+.

#2... Didn't you have another thread on this problem? I rizz-illy think it's your AFM. Have you adjusted it, for a better a/f mixture?

#3... Do you have an air/fuel gauge hooked up?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:19 PM

Yes, I do have another thread on this topic. This thread was supposed to be to get feedback on aftermarket fuel pumps, but evolved into what it is now.
Nismopick, where do you adjust the ratio on the mass air flow? I have 2 extra mass air flow, the one on my car doesn't have a rubber plug and one of the extras does not have a rubber plug. Is the adjustment under the rubber plug? i read somewhere someone said that a turbo does not have the rubber plug to remove and adjust the air gas ratio, but my car is a non-turbo and it doesnt have the rubber plug to remove either. Should my maf have an adjustment if it is a non-turbo? Any links or directions on how to adjust it? While the car is running or not? Any advice would be appreciated. I read about rebuilding the maf in the stickys.

Last edited by 3XAZOWNER; 07-06-2006 at 12:22 PM.