280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Common reasons wipers stop working?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:14 PM

Common reasons wipers stop working?

So I know it's a 31 year old car and it's bound to have electrical issues, but it's still annoying.

The car is still ugly as all hell but I can live with that, except for the visual flaws the car seems to be good. I've made a lot of progress recently and it's a solid driver now. The only thing stopping me from registering and DDing it is the fact that the windshield wipers don't work. I got both my charging and my accessory power problems worked out and the car is great now besides that. Everything pretty much worked before I stopped driving it almost two years ago (with the exception of the defroster and the hatch wiper, I assume the hatch may have been changed at one point and just maybe never hooked back up properly which doesn't bother me much now anyways because I removed the wiper and got a set of louvers), but now that I've got it back up and running again the windshield wipers and power mirrors no longer work.

I obviously checked the fuses and the plug connections and they're fine. I haven't been able to find anything mentioned about it anywhere, I'm just curious if this is a common problem that anyone has experienced that may have a simple fix before I really get into pulling out the wiring diagram and start to test everything/ potentially just running new wires.. Electrical stuff unfortunately is not my strong suit, and I really just want to put this thing back on the road.

I don't even care about the mirrors so much, but I really need them wipers to work!

Last edited by Switchtr3; 05-21-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Probably would be wiring, or maybe the wiper motor. I have a kind of similar dilemma with my mirrors and my wiper wash not working. Also I could never get my check light to work either. But my wipers work great, including my rear wiper. (it comes in handy at times) I really think the only thing you can do is get out the wiring diagram, and have fun tracing and replacing wires. I will be doing that here soon myself. lol Good luck to both of us.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Corrosion? Siezed motor from sitting?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 AM

Hey, thanks for the responses guys. Yeah that's what I thought, looks like I'm gonna have to go pull out the multi-meter and start poking around to see what I can find. Oh boy!
It's been raining for the last few days so I haven't had a chance to get out there, but I may take a crack at it later today

Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 AM

I knew it had to be something simple. Ended up just being one plug under the right side of the dashboard (kind of above the fuse panel) that must have gotten undone when I gutted my dash. I plugged it back in and everything works as it should!

Goin to the DMV to get it registered in an hour or so.