280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Clutch quote qestion

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:54 PM

Question Clutch quote qestion

I went to a very reputable tranny shop here in town for a clutch install quote as I have never priced a clutch job. Here is what I was quoted, please tell me if it sounds right.

PARTS:
Clutch Disc Assembly - $64.42
Pilot Bearing - $15.92
Pressure Plate (PP) - $148.53
Release Bearing - $33.48
Shop Supplies - $7.87
Total for Parts - $270.22

LABOR:
Clutch (PP) - Remove and replace - $302.40
Pilot Bearing - Remove and replace - $21.60
Release Bearing - Remove and replace - $14.40
Flywheel - Remove and replace - $14.40
Flywheel Resurface - $72.00
Haz Mat - $12.74
Total Labor - $437.54

Grand Total with tax - $757.31

Now, I ask you....does this sound reasonable or should I buy the parts and take it to another shop? The labor for this is $37.54 more than I paid for the whole car.....hmmm someone want to come down and do my clutch for free? I will buy you dinner at Burger King
Old 04-16-2007, 06:57 PM

if you have a set of jackstands and basic hand tools dropping the tranny on these cars is extremely easy.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Über User

DUDE

do it yourself you tool. lol. remove the starter, remove teh driveshaft (4 bolts) remove clave cylinder(2 bolts) remove tranny (i think 4 bolts) pull tranny away from car ( either get a friend or get a reliable floor jack that rolls) drop tranny, remove pressure plate, clutch will come with it, (all just bolts) and flywheel if replacing or w/e, re-attatch flywheel to proper foot pounds then remove 2 spring retainer clips on throw out bearing and put new on in place, put clutch up with clutch disc holder tool in place, put up pressure plate to proper foot pounds, remove clutch holding tool, put tranny back up (thats the challenging part but i did it by myself so you can to) reattatch slave (may have to bleed if you need to loose pressure from it) then re-attatch ddriveshaft vuwala!

BTW, they are idiots, for 500 i got all that done and a little more on my Z32... so they are yanking your dick.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:38 PM

I've done this thing twice with this project and it really isn't that hard, if you got the tools. You'll need a little more tools than just jackstands and basic tools though The flywheel will present some challenge if you don't have the proper tools to remove it. (having a compressor makes a ton of difference )

I'd guess they're charging a bit too much for labor though, those shops have the proper tools for this job, so it shouldn't take them too long.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
i paid that much for a partial rebuild of a chevy automatic tranny. i watched a person i knew rebuild a manual tranny in very short amount of time and didnot take very long to do at all.and it turns out he was an idiot, and he did it withouyt problems......and it worked.....
Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Über User

noooo.... you only need basic tools, and a torque wrench for the flywheel, that or be really good at guessing how tight it is. might need a breaker bar to get teh flywheel off, but you can make one of those, mine is a socket wrench with the handle off my floor jack slipped over its handle, works liek a charm.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm a Registered User!

It wont be hard to change the clutch. I swapped transmissions (automatic to manual) with all the parts, including clutch components for the volvo, which is just about the same set up as the Z in less than 2 days working on and off.

I had never done it before too. I suggest doing it yourself if you have a free weekend.

Last edited by SpeciallySpiked; 04-16-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:59 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I agree man, I did it for the first time last year on my '82. I did it in a weekend. And it only cost me about $125 or so, for the parts. Because I priced a shop around here, and labor alone was $300-$400. Not counting parts, so then I said I would do it myself. And I am glad I did, because I need to replace the throwout bearing in my newest '82 slicktop. So I am going to go ahead, and put a brand new clutch kit in it while I am at it. It will save me some grief. All in all, do it yourself man, and I didn't torque my flywheel to specs, and had no issues at all. Good luck man, and let us know how it went.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:57 AM
Big Poppa

i can drop the tranny in 45 minutes on my back, get the flywheel machined (lightened to if ya can) and then put it back in 45 minutes later. the hard part is getting the flywheel off. having a compressor is very nic tho. most tranny shops (like the one i worked at) charge high prices due to the fact its considered specalty work.go to a regular garage you trust, and ask them. just because the sign doesnt say "transmission" doesnt mean they cant do it. ask aboot the clutch they will use as well. dont get dynapack, they really suck.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:12 AM
The Good Twin

Vote is unanimous.... Do it yourself & save a ton o green. You can get a stock clutch kit that includes everything you need for about $125 - $150.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:21 PM

Yes sound reasonable, 15 years ago a jap dealer will charge 700.00, the breakdown show the right way to do it, only you know if doable at home..
Old 04-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

ive done this job many of times... shouldnt take you more than a day to do with just hand tools.. forget about paying $700... when you can do it for less than half....
Old 04-17-2007, 05:42 PM

I went back to the tranny shop so the guy could test drive it, he said he didn't want to replace the clutch if it was something else wrong. After test driving it he told me that the clutch is performing as it should and he didn't think it should be changed at this time. He also said that the tranny has some wear. He had it in fifth and had me put my finger on the stick and push up and away toward the glove box direction and then he hit the gas a few time, "feel that?" he said. I said yes. he said that over time the tranny will wear and everything in the case is actually moving front to back a little bit. He told me I should be ok for some time to come as long as I am not full out racing the car at the track.

He seemed to know what he was talking about and said he has been working on trannys for 20 some odd years. He didn't try to sell me anything but offered some free knowledge....and he also may be buying my 82 Slicky so he can put a small block in it...after I pull the factory engine for my self of course. Also, if i decide to put in a clutch, my friend in Ga said to bring it up there and we both will do it together as he has done several clutches with no problems to speak of.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Sounds like he's an ok guy, but as has been mentioned, I pulled my hood, radiator, all hoses and electrical connections and LABELED them, pulled the exhaust, motor, tranny AND rebuilt it in one weekend.

Of course, it didn't all go back together the same day, but you can pull the drive shaft and tranny in less than an hour. Install the new parts, remount the tranny and bleed the slave cylinder in another 2 hours if you stay focused and have all your tools handy. Harbor Freight has unusually good torque wrenches for being so cheap ($12!), so you can get that part right too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=239

Get a 18 to 24" 1/2" socket extension too. You'll be able to get all the bolts from under the car that way. Not necessary, but makes it easier to start and end at the same place...