280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Capping off a Caliper...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:14 PM

Capping off a Caliper...

Ok, I need to cap off my left-rear brake caliper for 2-3 weeks. I DON'T want to crimp the metal line or anything that will require more replacement parts, but was wondering if anyone has gotten a "cap" for the end of the metal line or something similar. I do want to go to stgeel braided lines when I get this all resolved, so cutting the rubber line would be ok, in order to cap it quickly....

Thoughts???

Thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Doesn't post much...

Are you saying that you want to DRIVE it for 2-3 weeks like that???
Not really a great idea ya know. If it's totally mandatory I'd say be carefull. I don't really have any good advice for capping off the line, just advice that say's "don't drive it like that unless you have to.

Rod.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:39 PM
The Good Twin

Carl, I had thought about this too, when my rear calipers were leaking. I finally found a rebuild kit, but in the mean time, I actually just let the rear brake fluid drain out. The brake pedal was purdy squooshy, but at least I had brakes.

Anyway, if it's just that one caliper, you can try this:

trace the caliper line rubber hose up to the frame. At that point there should be a connection. Soak it in some penetrating oil for a few & unscrew. If possible, take the other end to Napa & try to get a cap or nut (depending on what ya need) that will fit that thread. When putting the cap on, have someone press the brake pedal so fluid is coming out as you screw it on. That way you can get most of the air out & you won't have squooshy brakes.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:41 PM

well, it's either that, or run it as is and keep replacing fluid every 2 days or so. (topping off the resevoir (sp))..

How much could I expect to pay for a kit??
Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 AM

Rebuild kits arent very expensive. It's only like $50-60 for the rear calipers. The fronts are only like $15. And it's really easy to do. When I rebuilt mine I found a lot of rust and gunk inside my calipers. I cleaned them out real good with clean brake fluid then just slapped them back together with the new seals in the kit. Doesn't take very long at all. Two things to know though are that getting the ebrake cable off is a real SOB. Second make sure you have a pair of internal snap ring pliers. Other than that alls you need is a couple wrenches. Like I said it really is very easy. If you don't have a manual though you should get one cause it tells you how to realign the pistons and what not. I was driving around on 3 brakes for over a year without the LR caliper and it was just maddening. You'll learn to put a couple car lengths between you and anybody else pretty quick. High speed stops are no fun (unless you're just trying to have fun ) cause everytime I would brake hard the rear end wanted to slide out a little. Once I rebuilt it it was great.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 11-14-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:55 AM
The Evil Twin

If you let it continue to leak, it can unexpectantly get worse. I was doing that for a while where I added fluid every couple days. But one morning, my brakes went to the floor. Luckily this happened in a parking lot and not while driving at speed. The leak can and will get worse.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:32 PM

That's what I'm most afraid of right now..

I'm just in a "job" that doesn't pay much. I work with the elderly, which I really enjoy, but it doesn't pay beans. Hence everything I do takes a few years, like re-doing a Z!!