280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

bad fuel injector?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 PM

bad fuel injector?

Hey Guys just a quick question Ive been having issues with my 79 since I got it a few months ago. It starts and idles great but as soon as I get going it bogs down and sputters and sometimes backfires through the intake. My friend (who is way more mechanically inclined than me) checked it out for me and thanks my first 2 injectors may be clogged. while the car was running he pulled the 1st and 2nd plug wires and had no change in engine performance. We varified there was spark.Then we pulled the injector harness with the same result. Just wanna verify how likely it is that the injectors are bad before I order a new set. thanks

P.S. before we trouble shot it down to that I changed plugs and wires. checked AFM and replace the AFM-TB boot.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

did you check the fuel pressure? L28 fairly bulletproof engine. problems usually low fuel pressure and bad electrical connections. here are some things you should do regardless.

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion.

read up on atlantic z about the afm. they sometimes act up.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM

I havent checked the fuel pressure yet. I need to go to the parts store and rent one this weekend if work doesnt get too crazy. The guy who had the car before me spliced the fuel injector harness but the injectors he spliced seem to be working properly though. I prob should hit up Fric Frac and get one of his wiring kits. It sucks cause Im in South Dakota and winter is getting here fast and its taking up my garage space.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by kbowden
I havent checked the fuel pressure yet. I need to go to the parts store and rent one this weekend if work doesnt get too crazy. The guy who had the car before me spliced the fuel injector harness but the injectors he spliced seem to be working properly though. I prob should hit up Fric Frac and get one of his wiring kits. It sucks cause Im in South Dakota and winter is getting here fast and its taking up my garage space.
Before pulling the fuel injectors you should definitely test the clips with a multimeter. The PO of my car just crimped them on and they came apart on me. 2 cylinders were firing intermittently. It's a much easier fix if that turns out to be your issue!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Isn't there a way to test each individual injector with an ohm meter to se when there purging?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 PM

I think I may have this problem as well. Iv replaced the cts the tps battery coil plugs and wires and ecu. Waiting for funds to replace afm it looks to be in bad shape.

Last edited by 77280ZX; 10-15-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM

i recently had to replace #6 injector use a long screwdriver to your ear with engine running and pull off one injector clip at a time listening for clicking youll know which ones are firing. Still think i need a good cleaning on all mine though crappy bad gas settin up before i got it.