280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Backfire through intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM

Backfire through intake

Now before anyone beats down the noob on his first post, I've searched and found a lot of information on things I need to check (IE vacuum lines, running lean, vacuum lines, timing, vacuum lines, ecu, vacuum lines, lose ecu connector, vacuum lines, and maybe check the vacuum lines). I suspected a vacuum problem before coming here and gave everything a once over and didn't see anything unhooked or cracked and didn't hear anything suspicious. I have now downloaded the FSM so have a little more to go on

That being all well and good, I'm posting this question because my situation is a little unique and I'm hoping that can help narrow my search. The car was my dad's and reportedly "ran like a top" 1 week ago, it was transported to me via car carrier, and is now running like crap. It starts and idles fine, but backfires through the intake when rpms are increased. Doesn't matter if you are sitting or moving. So I'm wondering if having the car transported rings any bells with someone as to where to start my search.

Thanks for any input.
Chip
Old 06-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

You need to get fuel into the plenum for it to backfire in the plenum. Did you check the valve timing and the lashing on the valves?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't have the slightest clue about valve lash and timing.

I checked it out a little closer last night and found a vacuum line to the ERG (I think) that was loose so I trimmed and re-sat that. The large line from the valve cover was cracked so I southern engineered that with duct tape. Neither of these had any effect. I also noticed that one vacuum line on the charcoal canister and one on near the AFM were capped. While not right, I doubt that is my problem as that is how it was when my dad drove it. Next I changed the fuel filter and happy day, that was it! She is still a little hesitant right off idle but she'll rev all the way up with no backfire.

Now on to clean up and tune up!