280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Auto Drive, to 5 Speed Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:44 PM

Auto Drive, to 5 Speed Drive

The other day I found a 2+2 Drive Shaft in my parts bin. I am having trouble trying to find out if it's for the 5 Speed trany, or Auto. No number's on it. And I have Not seen a Auto trany out of a ZX. So i have no clue witch trany is longer then the other, or if there the same. So how can i tell if it's for a auto or 5 speed with out lifting my car, taking all the heat shild's out. and comparing them?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

the 2+2 drive shaft is longer so unless you have a 22 won't do you much good. auto tranny and 5 spd both the same length. driveshaft styles are little fat guy and skinny guy. Both same length dependant on model. Spline sizes into tranny can be different. Output flange can be different depending on which diffy you got. What are you trying to do anyway?
Old 10-14-2006, 09:33 AM

Well i do have a 2+2 and it's a Auto. I have a 5Speed trany i want to put in. I Know on most car's and trucks, a Auto trany is longer then the 5 speed. so there would be a shorter shaft. So i am doing homework before i get the tranys out to find out i don't have the proper shaft to put everything back together.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

I did the same thing on a 81zxt. Nissan did a pretty good job of making all parts interchangeable. Both trannys were the same length. the five speed went right in. But as I was using a five speed out of an na car the output spline of the tranny was smaller than the auto tranny. So put everythng together let out the clutch nothing. So I'm like how can this be. took it apart and discovered the spline difference. So the drive shaft from the manual tranny wouldn't make up to the diffy. so turbo shaft is fat n/a shaft is skinny. If you have n/a engine everything should fit. Of course you will need the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc. Pedal unit will help. clutch master/slave cylinder. When you change out the pedals they are mounted in a sheet metal assembly like a cage. It is easier to remove the whole thing than just try to mount the pedals. Has two bolts hidden under the speedo console plus four thru the firewall. It will seem like it doesn't want to come out but if you wiggle and wiggle and pull it just suddenly jumps out in your hand. Pulling the drive shaft to check it out is easy. there are a couple of tin pieces you need to pull and then four bolts at the diffy to drop the drive shaft. It just pulls out of the tranny. Have some plastic and duct tape handy to keep tranny fluid from spilling out. stick it in the five speed and see if the splines match. if you want to know more email to krs@whidbey.com.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 AM

Thanks alot. i just put the 2+2 driveshaft up against a 2 seater 5 speed one. the splines look Exactly alike. With this info. I will now start the swap. Thansk guy's. And oh yeh. i am swaping my 3:54 for the 3:90 too while i am at it.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:34 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Also it is a 12mm endwrench for your driveshaft to differential. The 4 bolts he was talking about. And I would put a catch pan for the tranny fluid, when it comes out. But whatever will work for you man. Good luck to you, and keep us updated.