280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Audio for the ZX's ENTER HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:31 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by thxone
I would not say that a single 12 is better than two 10's....the only thing better than two 10's is three 10's, two 12's, or four 8's. Hey shady, what 10 are you going to be running? Let me help here a little bit...make sure it is a dual voice coil subwoofer, this will allow you the option of different ways to wire the sub to the amp to suit your power needs or the capabilities of the amp. ALSO!!! When you wire the amps power and ground wires MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE WIRE!!!! I.E. 4awg power wire-4awg ground wire. Trust me, it's for the best. Don't run your RCA's down the same said of the car as your power wire, this will cut down on radio noise.
a larger diameter sub has more range. A single 10" that can handle 1000w will push as much air as a pair of 10's that each handle 500w. Having a pair of anything is basically just for looks and to take up space. (unless you have a 10,000w system then you'll need multiple subs) You can usually get the power output you want with a single sub. 10" just doesn't go as low as a 12 and 8" is even worse. Having 24 ten inch subs will not bring out the low range that a 12" can bring out. I didn't say a single 12 has more power, I said it will sound better. I've had all these setups in my car (except for the 24 tens) and I speak from my experience with them. Youu get the best requency repsonse with a single 12". Of course, a 15" will go even deeper but I think the 12 does good for the amount of space it takes up.
On ground wires, you don't have to run the same size unless you're running the ground all the way up to the battery again. You can run a smaller ground wire than the power. A shorter ground wire is a better ground wire. Run the same size or a higher gauge but keep it short. Ground the amp right to the metal next to where the amp is.

Thxone is correct on the RCAs. keep those away from the power wire.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
a larger diameter sub has more range. A single 10" that can handle 1000w will push as much air as a pair of 10's that each handle 500w. Having a pair of anything is basically just for looks and to take up space. (unless you have a 10,000w system then you'll need multiple subs) You can usually get the power output you want with a single sub. 10" just doesn't go as low as a 12 and 8" is even worse. Having 24 ten inch subs will not bring out the low range that a 12" can bring out. I didn't say a single 12 has more power, I said it will sound better. I've had all these setups in my car (except for the 24 tens) and I speak from my experience with them. Youu get the best requency repsonse with a single 12". Of course, a 15" will go even deeper but I think the 12 does good for the amount of space it takes up.
On ground wires, you don't have to run the same size unless you're running the ground all the way up to the battery again. You can run a smaller ground wire than the power. A shorter ground wire is a better ground wire. Run the same size or a higher gauge but keep it short. Ground the amp right to the metal next to where the amp is.

Thxone is correct on the RCAs. keep those away from the power wire.
Wrong Wrong Wrong....First the ground wire, I never said it should be ran back to the battery, just that it should be the same diameter as the power wire. Yes the shorter the ground wire the better. The same current that is entering the amp is also exiting the amp, if you use a smaller gauge ground wire, you create resistance and heat at the amp ground terminal and that is a bad thing.

Speaker size vs. frequency response: The size of a speakers cone has NO bearing on how low in frequency it will play. The limiting factors on how low a speaker will play is what frequency it is crossed over at or some other sound limiting device. A 4" speaker will play a 10hz bass note if it is not crossed over or limited by crossover. Will you be able to "hear" the bass note, no. Most humans cannot hear sounds below 20hz anyway, but you can feel it. How MUCH bass you feel is limited by the size and type of enclosure and the motor structure of the subwoofer such as the spider, the surround, the pole piece, the length of the voice coil former, the back plate, and the amount of power input to the sub.

Number of drivers (Subs): Think of it in ratios, one 10" sub being a 1:1 ratio, 2 tens will move twice the volume of air with the same power input per sub as they have twice the cone area of a single 10" sub. A single 10" can move more air than a 12" sub. If the 12" sub is able to move 1/4" in on direction, 1/2" overall (forward and backwards "EXCURSION") and the 10" can move 3/4" in one direction 1.5" overall then it has the potential to move more air and play "louder", now make it two of those 10's and that one 12...see where I am going? It's like saying your Rockford Fosgate 2-12" P1's hit harder and louder than my 2-JL 10w7's, ain't gonna happen, the W7's move volumes more air because of the design of their motor structure. "Sound Quality" is nothing more then personal taste and preference.

I personally prefer a pair of 10" subs for sound quality and performance, kinda like the best of both worlds. If you are looking for sound quality then a sub with a fast transient response is prudent (Transient Response: The ability of the speaker to react to changes in input signal)...The faster the better. If you want a sub to play louder with less amplifier power then you want a sub with a higher sensitivity rating (I.E. 90db is better than 80db) and the sub will use the amps power more efficiently. If you want a sub to just play low bass notes then look for a heavy massed cone and large surround, these speakers typically require more amplifier power. Now if you combine a lightning fast transient response with a high sensitivity rating and a one way linear excursion of around 1/2"-3/4" with a light weight and super stiff cone then you are in for some ear candy.

Also, in the music industry bass guitar players typically play through 10" speakers and electric guitarist typically play through 12" speakers. I cant recall ever seeing a bass guitar cab with 12's but I have seen many cabs with 10's and 15's.

Want it all? Try some JL W3V2's, MTX 5500 series, Pioneer VCCS IMPP's, or something comparable.

I am just debating Bleach, no anger or anything here. I did alot of studying to become a certified installer, however I am not because it cost several grand to become certified.

Last edited by thxone; 01-27-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:17 PM

This is a lil off topic. But it came out of the speakers. Tonight. i was freaking out. I heard a ding, then a voice. I could not figure out what the hell was going on. turns out. my friend did not shut his door al the way. and I heard the bitchin Betty for the first time. So Cool. Love this car more and more.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:24 PM

Update!!

Ok, I decided to start building door panel pods for my ZX...this is a temp setup as I have put a sub amp on "layaway". The pods will be permanent but the speakers will be temp for now. I have coaxial Rockford Power 6 1/2's and I will be getting 6 1/2" components of some kind hopefully soon so these will do for now till I get them ( Focal, Zapco, JL) I just don't know yet. Anyway...I mocked up the panels with cardboard...with the door open and it all looked cool...but as we all know I am a dumbass...with the door closed, the seats are in the damn way. So I need to do some more modifications to the panels pods....dammit!

When they are all done they will be carpeted to match the bottom of the door panels. I will be using Bondo Body Filler...something I have not used before to round the edges and seal the pods on all the edges. Should be fine as it is sandable. I will be running a LA Storm X1.1000.1D mono sub amp on the 10's and my MTX 4202 200watt amp on my components. It's gonna sound killer!!

This last one is what I plan to modify to fix my f@#k up. The marked areas are going to be removed and later after I get the components I will drill out the tweeter hole and carpet the enclosures.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
this is the audio thread, correct?????i yam not drilling mushing or adding. the original stereos in the older zx's were clarion. i thot they were bose--i was wrong. clarion.up to at least 1984. but i yam able to get mine to work!!!!!so the systems will be restored to orig. function. and the bodysonic amplification in the AE is weird--tickles. but it works!!!!i will be making all the stock systems work well. piglet does not count.she is already losing pieces to other places. next things are the cruise control aND FINESSING THE SECURITY SYSTEM AND FINISHING THE AUDIO SYSTEM.oops....

Last edited by z-hag; 03-10-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Big Poppa

looks good thxone. bondo works well, used it on the radio surround to help smooth it b4 covering it. im gonna put cupholders in the door panels so cant be putting speakers there.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
looks good thxone. bondo works well, used it on the radio surround to help smooth it b4 covering it. im gonna put cupholders in the door panels so cant be putting speakers there.

Thanks Shady...I too thought about cup holders on the doors...but these damn things are already taking up some leg room and my buddy in Ga is 6'2" and 200+lbs so it is already a tight fit for him...I want my homey to be comfortable...and I guess a chick if one happens across me.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:19 PM

Aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!!

don't Use Fiberglass Jelly!!!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Big Poppa

fiberglass jelly? never heard of that. it prolly made a huge mess and sucks to sand huh. pix?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:11 PM

I am so sun burned right now...my skin feels like it is on fire!!! Anyway here they are installed...I must say this is probably the crappiest **** I have ever done...I will be carpeting them in hopes of hiding the hideousness of these.....things. I miss good tools. They sound really really good though and are stuffed to the gills with polyfill.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:37 PM

I have been tossing this Idea around for door speakers for a while and decided to put it on paper to better hep me see it. I know there is room to do this on the door and an enclosure like this would not be hard to make. It is mounting it that is going to be a pain if I want it to last and not fall off. I think the end result will be more rounded on the edges though..this is to boxy.
heres what mine look like will post better pics tomorrow

Old 03-11-2007, 06:43 PM

I like the tweed door panels man...looks like they have been on there a while...nice pod. JB's280z and I are going to redo mine in the proper fiberglass when I make a trip to Ga.

Here's me...Strike a pose!!! I still has my headband flashlight on...oops!

Old 03-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Über User

hahaha... dorals... how can you smoke dorals.... hehehe... and also yeah, you really should use somethign other than wood, only so much wood will let you do. make wood ribs and then lay fiberglass over them to hold the shape.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
hahaha... dorals... how can you smoke dorals.... hehehe... and also yeah, you really should use somethign other than wood, only so much wood will let you do. make wood ribs and then lay fiberglass over them to hold the shape.
Yeah, when I didn't have a job I was smoking Camels everyday...now that I have a job it's the cheap stuff...in fact, I will have one right now!!! It was actually more cost effective for me to do the little boxes in wood right now...less than $20 for everything. If I had a hot glue gun and a router handy I would have done my usual fiberglass door panel pods and it would not look as shitty as these.....things. Plus I wanted to see what this Fiberglass Jelly was...now I know it is useless **** and I will never buy it again. I should have just sucked it up and waited till I had more cash on hand and did it right.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Big Poppa

you guys just wait till the radio surround is in!! its gonna be done at the upholstery shop on friday. blue leater with gray stitching. it shall only hold the radio, no more lighter plug, no more ash tray, no more radio antenna switch, no more remote amp control. im moving that to the rear wiper switch area. and i gonna make some cup holders in the door, kinda like a chev tahoe. and no pix till after msa (although if thxone can keep it under cover he may get a sneek peek, cause he cant come, and he is the stereo guy)
Old 03-12-2007, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
you guys just wait till the radio surround is in!! its gonna be done at the upholstery shop on friday. blue leater with gray stitching. it shall only hold the radio, no more lighter plug, no more ash tray, no more radio antenna switch, no more remote amp control. im moving that to the rear wiper switch area. and i gonna make some cup holders in the door, kinda like a chev tahoe. and no pix till after msa (although if thxone can keep it under cover he may get a sneek peek, cause he cant come, and he is the stereo guy)
I can keep it quiet, it would be near impossible for me to make it to MSA.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Yeah, that'll be quite a drive from Florida!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by lww
Yeah, that'll be quite a drive from Florida!
It's only 3 or 4 day drive....I just mean money and time would be a problem for me. I would have to take at least two weeks off work and my boss won't let me do that....yet.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Über User

2 weeks?!?!?! the guys are only MSA'ing it friday and saturday departing sunday.... you would need a week tops!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:24 PM

I have never been to the west coast...I would want time to sight see, visit my friends mom in Anaheim...and go see those BIG *** trees in north Cali.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Doesn't post much...

It's only 3 or 4 day drive....I just mean money and time would be a problem for me. I would have to take at least two weeks off work and my boss won't let me do that....yet.
3 or 4 day's?!?!?!? What??? do you drive like an old lady or what???

**** kid, I left Tallahassee on a Friday morning and was in San Diego Saturday Afternoon with a stop for the night in between... and I did it in... My 280ZX

Rod.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
ok, dramaking, iffn it takes ya 4 days to get here from there whatcha driving, an old vw with top speed of 47 mph?????????sheez, mon--my friends up in san fran area would take 3 days towing racecars to atlanta from sacto-----grammaw-----betcha it aint so loooong a drive in yer Z.......drive it like ya stole it and i'll see ya in 2 dayz if yer slow.........bring yer toolZ cause ya'll prolly need them to get home..........how come yer pix alwayz look like the smirking smiley???....love the red glow around yer headlamp.......

Last edited by z-hag; 03-12-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 PM

Ok Ok, When I am in a state I am not familiar with, or county for that matter, I obey the posted speed limits within a few mph and I like to site see, that's my whole reason for taking trips to places I have never been...I drive fast when I need to. As for my pics...the smirks just come out when I pose...don't know why. I am sexy though.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Über User

then just fly. if i go, i'm flying, i aint trustin NO Z to go from IL to Cali.... lol
Old 03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
then just fly. if i go, i'm flying, i aint trustin NO Z to go from IL to Cali.... lol
If you worked on it... I wouldn't trust it either

Quick Reply: Audio for the ZX's ENTER HERE