280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

After market Fuel Pressure Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:05 PM

After market Fuel Pressure Regulator

Trying to get a better understanding of what I need as for the FPR.
I just bought a new fuel rail and are needing an aftermarket FPR, can anyone recommend to me a high quality product that some of you guys are using?

I do NOT want a rising rate regulator, i want to keep the stock fuel pressure, and i do not intend to adjust the the stock pressure. But I am running bigger injectors along with a Garrett T3/T4 hybrid on the stock ECU. Ive seen people mention the Aeromotive A1000's but these things are 150 plus American government dollars... that come with functionality that I am proly not going to use? Other than those units lookin snazy and having nice AN fittings for the fuel lines what do I need in a FPR? I will also be putting the Pressure gauge on the rail so an FPR with this slot is not needed.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:51 PM

Welcome to ZDriver!

You can DL your factory service manuals at XenonS130 - S130 Reference along with a lot of other cool docs.

You should post your exact model and year - along with any significant mods you have - just so the guys here aren't wasting their time guessing.

SO, do yourself a favor. Sign in, go to User CP menu (upper left), click Edit Signature and add your Z model, year, shifter, turbo or NA, etc. Saves you having to add it to every post. (Guys here go crazy if you don't lock your Q to your specific Z every time you post...They just ignore questions without enough info) Cool. You are solid.

You could post photos, too. Would be great to see your Z up close and get a sense of what you are working on!

Thanks - and welcome again!

Last edited by zxguy1986; 12-27-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:51 PM

Well why not keep your stock FPR then, it will preform same as before, just make sure inlet and outlets are plumbed in properly and mount it to a sturdy location.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Skully
Well why not keep your stock FPR then, it will preform same as before, just make sure inlet and outlets are plumbed in properly and mount it to a sturdy location.
Well yea, that was part of my question. Id rather have new parts, and have those parts be able to connect easily to AN fittings. Just need more info on what a good one will be and info on the benefits of having one like the A1000 for a modded z.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan/Datsun
Trying to get a better understanding of what I need as for the FPR.
I just bought a new fuel rail and are needing an aftermarket FPR, can anyone recommend to me a high quality product that some of you guys are using?

I do NOT want a rising rate regulator, i want to keep the stock fuel pressure, and i do not intend to adjust the the stock pressure. But I am running bigger injectors along with a Garrett T3/T4 hybrid on the stock ECU. Ive seen people mention the Aeromotive A1000's but these things are 150 plus American government dollars... that come with functionality that I am proly not going to use? Other than those units lookin snazy and having nice AN fittings for the fuel lines what do I need in a FPR? I will also be putting the Pressure gauge on the rail so an FPR with this slot is not needed.

I am getting messed up on your questions or something. You said you want to keep your stock, FPR. You really don't need something like aeromotive units, other than bling and fittings, if you have proper injectors, and fuel pump, your stock FPR will preform just fine. If you want fancy AN fittings and some bling under the hood, well then bust out them american dollars.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skully
I am getting messed up on your questions or something. You said you want to keep your stock, FPR. You really don't need something like aeromotive units, other than bling and fittings, if you have proper injectors, and fuel pump, your stock FPR will preform just fine. If you want fancy AN fittings and some bling under the hood, well then bust out them american dollars.
Yea i wanted an aftermarket regulator, i was just curious, quality wise, to see what some people are using for their setups, even though, like you said i can just use the stock one.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:47 AM
The Good Twin

I am running 300cc injectors with the Z31T ecu/maf swap, and use this fuel pressure regulator. They are like ~$10 on ebay. Adjustable and works great, but does not hold fuel pressure when you turn off the engine (which causes a hard start). I've been running it for about 8 years now with no problems and last summer I was actually going to get the Aeromotive one to prevent the leak down, but a lot of people said it too leaks down when off. I'm sticking with this one.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
I am running 300cc injectors with the Z31T ecu/maf swap, and use this fuel pressure regulator. They are like ~$10 on ebay. Adjustable and works great, but does not hold fuel pressure when you turn off the engine (which causes a hard start). I've been running it for about 8 years now with no problems and last summer I was actually going to get the Aeromotive one to prevent the leak down, but a lot of people said it too leaks down when off. I'm sticking with this one.

I have the aeromotive, and it does leak down after a while, so keep the one you have, and there you go OP cheap alternative that works and lasts. Can't beat it.

Last edited by Skully; 12-29-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick

Wow thx for the info guys. I cant beleive that an expensive part like the a1000 would leak... Guess ill go with the cheaper one. Thx again!
And yea i was thinkin of doin the z31 ecu swap. Has it worked out good for u so far?

Last edited by Nissan/Datsun; 12-29-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Wow thx for the info guys. I cant beleive that an expensive part like the a1000 would leak... Guess ill go with the cheaper one. Thx again!
Yeah I have read up lots on fixing the aeromotive unit, guys taking it apart, and just touching up the body where the ball seats, sometimes there is a bur there, or it wasn't chamfered properly, and apparently that fixes it, but honestly, I don't care if I let it crank 2-3 times before it fires up. At least everything gets lubed good before the engine fires

Good luck man!.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:24 PM
The Good Twin

And yea i was thinkin of doin the z31 ecu swap. Has it worked out good for u so far?
Yep. I created a zip file of handy docs to help through the swap:
(right click & save as) https://www.facebook.com/download/15...wap%20docs.zip

And if you are a Facebooker, join the 280zx Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/164690436882353/