280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

82 280zx Rebuild Progress

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by NismoPick
You don't need to touch the internals at all to obtain 250hp. Just an efficient intercooler, tuned ecu (MSnS or NisTune), proper injectors, and a boost controller.
I should actually say it's easier than that. You can probably get to 250whp running nothing more than an intercooler, 14psi boost, and a RR fuel pressure regulator. But it would not be safe or reliable. The stock 259cc injectors would be maxed out (mine are).

Lifegrddude was running SVO 370cc injectors and a dialed back AFM. He was probably close to 270hp (he posted all about it a few years ago).
Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 AM

You don't need to touch the internals at all to obtain 250hp. Just an efficient intercooler, tuned ecu (MSnS or NisTune), proper injectors, and a boost controller.
I wasn't initially planning on doing anything internal beyond replacing gaskets. I thought I had to replace the pistons anyway, so I figured I might as well tinker around.

I don't have the FSM in front of me, but are these numbers not normal? The L28ET has a low 7.4:1 compression ratio for boost.

The wet test should be higher than dry test. If the numbers are the same, or close, then you'd have a problem.
I was just going off of the haynes manual. It said that standard should be 178psi, and anything below (I think) 140psi meant that the pistons or cylinders needed work. I just pulled up the FSM, though, and it says that standard compression is 142psi, and the minimum is 100psi, so I think you are right. Like I said, I just was following what what in the haynes manual. Same thing with the wet test. It said that if compression improved with a wet test, then it was worn pistons/rings, but if it stayed the same, it was something with the valves. Now I'm beginning to doubt anything in the haynes.

Blue exhaust smoke is a dead give away for toasted rings and or valves. I don't think your motor needs to be opened up at all from your inspection findings.

You'd reuse the stock pistons and just buy a re-ring kit unless you wanted / needed to go overbore, or if the pistons had damage.
Definitely nothing like blue exhaust smoke out of the engine. Would new rings get me back up to standard compression, though? Or is the drop from 140 to 125 not significant enough to affect performance?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 AM
The Good Twin

The Haynes is literally a compilation of all 79-83 FSM's, but obviously consolidated and generalized. Those 178psi specs are for the L28E high compression motor. I've driven and inspected that car, and from your compression test, I wouldn't rebuild the entire motor unless you want to spend lots of $$$ and do upgrades while you are in there.

I guess if you plan to make the car your daily driver for the next 10 years, do a rebuild now, but your chassis will need a lot of love by then too.

It's really a question of "when / where / how much to get you satisfied with the car?"
Old 09-06-2012, 12:31 PM

I don't think your motor needs to be opened up at all from your inspection findings.
So, does this mean i shouldn't even need the head gasket set? If that's the case, then I would just clean off the engine and go ahead with the swap. Before yesterday's test, I was basically just planning on using the felpro head gasket set, and changing out the rubber for fuel lines, vacuum lines, and things like that. If I don't have to even use replace the gaskets from the set, that will make things to a lot quicker.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 PM
The Good Twin

Replace the water pump & gasket. And depending on the condition of the current one, replace the intake / exhaust gasket and hardware (look for carbon build up or burnt gasket at cyl #1 and 6).

Once you have the engine on a stand, you'll be able to go through it and check everything. Don't order parts until you know what you need.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Replace the water pump & gasket. And depending on the condition of the current one, replace the intake / exhaust gasket and hardware (look for carbon build up or burnt gasket at cyl #1 and 6).

Once you have the engine on a stand, you'll be able to go through it and check everything. Don't order parts until you know what you need.
Is it possible with the forum software when someone types in rebuild and engine the screen fills up with :

Don't order parts until you know what you need.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 PM

"Rachel" - 1972 Datsun 240Z

Originally Posted by Twiggs280zx
I am in Sparks, NV. I am not too impressed with this place. I had my first Z in Hawaii and it was 1 of maybe 3 I saw during the 7 years I was stationed there. Here I find them all riced out and I die a little inside. The other day at summit racing I saw an 87 turbo in very sad condition and the guys put a set of 12s in it thinking they were cool. So sad. Fix the damn car first.

BTW FricFrac what year is the Z on the far right of your sig?
I believe that is "Rachel" - 1972 Datsun 240Z, I am personally in love with that car, I believe fricfrac bought it in a pretty cherry restored condition, but he has done some nice improvements to her, the engine bay is to die for, IMHO. The car is just very sweet !! .... Cheers to him for his dedication to our Hobby.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 PM

in my defense, the head gasket idea was BECAUSE of searching through the forum and seeing how often this site is linked to in rebuild/swap threads. It says "Another thing to get is a gasket kit. Felpro makes them for the L-series sixes, and I think Mr. Gasket too. Buy some gasket sealer and high temp silicon to seal all the gaskets (some don't require sealer(ie head gasket), so see the manuals). NAPA carries a lot of good brush on gasket sealers."
Old 09-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Is it possible with the forum software when someone types in rebuild and engine the screen fills up with :

If there is will there is a way!

I am still waiting on the shop to tell me the condition of everything. It is very tempting to just jump on that turbo engine from evandubya but, the last thing I want to do is rip apart another engine if anything is wrong with it.

Are the rotating assemblies interchangable?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:12 PM
The Good Twin

^^^

Rotating assembly = crank, rods, pistons, bearings, rings, etc (all the bottom end "rotating" parts).
"Rotating assembly" is a general term to describe a lot of parts.

The L28ET and low compression L28E use dished low compression pistons (they are different part#'s though). The L28E high compression motor uses flat tops.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM

Ok, as tempting as it is I think I will just stick out the n/a motor. I am hoping to hear from the shop soon so I can order everything.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 AM

Update

I picked up my engine parts from the shop Tuesday. They are lookin good. I am starting reassembly soon and have already started priming and painting. So, hopefully my Z will be back on the road soon.
Attached Thumbnails 82 280zx Rebuild Progress-resized-16.jpg   82 280zx Rebuild Progress-resized-17.jpg   82 280zx Rebuild Progress-resized-18.jpg   82 280zx Rebuild Progress-resized-19.jpg   82 280zx Rebuild Progress-resized-20.jpg  

82 280zx Rebuild Progress-resized-21.jpg   82 280zx Rebuild Progress-resized-22.jpg  
Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

How did you prep the block before you painted it?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 AM

How did you prep the block before you painted it?
After having the shop clean it I made sure there wasn't any loose crap on it then primed it with 500 degree dupli-color metal base coat. Then used the same line of paint for the blue.
Attached Thumbnails 82 280zx Rebuild Progress-resized-23.jpg   82 280zx Rebuild Progress-resized-24.jpg  
Old 09-21-2012, 12:51 PM

Looks good

Looks good so far, I've enjoyed this thread, been a fun read, nice to see you will have her back together soon. I like the fact that you have taken the time to dress up the engine, as far as repainting and getting the parts nice and clean, use a nice thin coat of sealer on the gaskets (Valve cover, oil pan etc) and torque everything down slowly working your way up in Lbs and she should be leak free. Nice to keep it looking pretty after all your hard work !! Cheers

Last edited by PredatorZ; 09-21-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 PM

PredatorZ

Thanks for the support,
I will take my time with the reasembly, last thing I need is a leak.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:18 AM

The damn machine shop ordered me the wrong size piston rings! So not only do I have to wait till monday to take them in, I have to wait till they get the right ones in... I guess its back to cleaning and painting.
Attached Thumbnails 82 280zx Rebuild Progress-resized-25.jpg  
Old 09-28-2012, 03:13 PM

Bs

Got the bearings in, put the crank in, set the caps in place, set the torque wrench to 36lbs (book says 33-40lbs), snapped the first bolt right off in the center cap. WTF?!?!?!?!?

Motorsport! ARP Main Cap Stud Kit, 70-83 Z/ZX - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts
Is there a cheaper place to pick them up?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Twiggs280zx
Got the bearings in, put the crank in, set the caps in place, set the torque wrench to 36lbs (book says 33-40lbs), snapped the first bolt right off in the center cap. WTF?!?!?!?!?

Motorsport! ARP Main Cap Stud Kit, 70-83 Z/ZX - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts
Is there a cheaper place to pick them up?
1983 NISSAN ARP Main Stud Kits - L6 Engine Type - SummitRacing.com
a lot better deal, appears to be the same thing
and this even less same thing about 100$ free shipping
http://thmotorsports.com/i-61571.asp...FWHZQgoddSwARg

Last edited by PredatorZ; 09-28-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added 2nd link
Old 09-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Summit would be perfect, I live right across the street and always forget about them since their catalog is only American cars.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
1983 NISSAN ARP Main Stud Kits - L6 Engine Type - SummitRacing.com
a lot better deal, appears to be the same thing
and this even less same thing about 100$ free shipping
ARP Main Stud/Bolt Kits NISSAN 280ZX 1979 - 1983 202-5406
You don't want those - you want the head bolts...
Old 09-30-2012, 01:26 AM

You don't want those - you want the head bolts...
The bolt I broke is for the center cap holding the crankshaft in. Aren't those stud bolts?

I have the ARP Rod & Head bolts. What is it that makes them better than any other?

Last edited by Twiggs280zx; 09-30-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 PM

Update...

Got the head,rod, and cap bolts. Installed the crank & pistons to spec.

On the #5 piston it is stamped 23 P79 and all of the others are stamped 45 P79 does anyone know why this would be and does it make a difference?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:52 PM
The Good Twin

Like this?

These are my L28ET P90 1MM (0.040") overbore pistons.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Yeah like that. Ill post a pic when I get to work.

Quick Reply: 82 280zx Rebuild Progress