280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

(280zx) air question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 08:22 AM
The Evil Twin

Don't do it!

Yes, they were an option. But they suck! Do not swap to the auto temperature control. Most of them broke within the first couple years of being made. The sensors dont' work, and the fan speed never kicks in very high. Mine barely works. I have to turn it to defrost to get any air to start moving, then once the system is warmed up I can select High, medium, and low, or economy. There is no fan speed control and you are limited to where the air comes out. Just keep your manual setup.

A common swap is for someone with a broken temperature control system like mine to swap to a manual fan speed control. The auto temp control was an experiment gone bad.

Old 09-27-2002, 09:39 AM
Externally Wastegated

Re: Don't do it!

Hey BleachZee, how hard was it to convert to a manual a/c setup? I'd love to get rid of my auto climate control cause that thing is retarded. It can be 90 degrees outside and sometimes that thing thinks it doesn't need to turn. Plus you can't even get any ventilation without having to turn on the fan completely. It sucks. Thanks for any help.
82ZXT

Old 09-27-2002, 10:47 AM

Bleachzee ,
Can you do a tech article on how to do this ? Let me know
and we will get a ZX tech section started.

Mike

Old 09-27-2002, 01:04 PM
The Evil Twin

I didn't do the swap! That is a current picture of my car. Sorry, but I sure would like to do that.
I "think" you need the manual controls from a ZX plus the wiring and maybe the fan motor itself. Or, you could possibly buy a fan speed controller at Radio Shack and hook up the fan motor to an external relay. Then just select the vent you want and if you want heat or not. Turn on the fan with a separate ****. (maybe next to my CD player)

I think I saw this a long time ago discussed on Zcar.com

Old 09-27-2002, 01:44 PM

Well, get busy and do yours and write a tech article on it.
You have the whole weekend to go to Pull n Save and get
the parts. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2002, 02:36 PM
The Evil Twin

I haven't had a weekend to myself in 3 years! I've got a bulldozer in my driveway so tomorrow morning I can bulldoze my half acre of briers and brush so my daughter can grow up with a nice big yard of grass. ...and I've got to get tabs on my ZX which expire Monday, and I've got to get my home owner's insurance renewed, and i've got to somehow move my Fairlady Z up the driveway so she doesnt' get bulldozed over!!! No time for the air conversion, you do it! :-) hehe

Old 09-29-2002, 09:03 PM
The Evil Twin

The black plate is an aluminum panel. I got a large piece and measured and cut out the triangle shape, leaving extra material on the bottom side. That edge I bent at a sharp 90 degree angle. I drilled holes in it, and bolted it to the aluminum frame of the center console piece. Then the radio comes with a mounting piece to mount it into a hole. It fastens pretty tight. I also put some extra metal brackets to the rear frame area for security although this aluminum faceplate is pretty sturdy. I ran all new wires to aftermarket speakers in the stock locations. I use a quick disconnect strip for the wires because I'm always changing amps and speakers around.

Say... this might be a good writeup. The 280zx's radio is unique and lots of people dont' know what to do to install an aftermarket radio.