280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

240sx throttle body hook up

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:37 PM

240sx throttle body hook up

connectors are different than on zx turbo.

what do I need to do to get it to work, or even if it is necessary? leave it unplugged.
thanx
kenny and JB
Old 08-26-2009, 07:38 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by captken
connectors are different than on zx turbo.

what do I need to do to get it to work, or even if it is necessary? leave it unplugged.
thanx
kenny and JB

are you talking about the TPS?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 PM
The Good Twin

Connectors? The throttle position sensor is the same connection. You need an adapter plate if you want to use the stock linkage, or you can flip it over & use a throttle cable.

Lots of threads on this... type "60mm" or "240sx tb" into the Search feature.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 PM
This facepalm's for you!

yes, the TPS is the same.

heres how to mod the linkage:
http://www.graytechsoftware.com/garage/tbs_linkage.asp
Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ that, or look for an Altima KA24DE motor, or Infiniti G20 SR20DE motor. Those are 60mm as well & usually use a linkage ball. Then all you have to do is cut that spring dowel & flip the linkage ball.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 PM

the sx connector has i believe 3 connections

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Connectors? The throttle position sensor is the same connection. You need an adapter plate if you want to use the stock linkage, or you can flip it over & use a throttle cable.

Lots of threads on this... type "60mm" or "240sx tb" into the Search feature.
the 280zx has 2, the plugs don't match each other.
gotta pallnet spacer.

I'm sorry but brain is tired to do more searching, I am wore out, am getting forgetful remembering where things are.....this is giving me a great big head ache and causing me a major pita.

If you know please tell me and I wont bother anyone again. I need the car running, code enforcement is on my *** about all my z cars and one just got the dreaded bright red sticker, I got 24 hrs left to do something with it.

I pulled it in my fenced in back yard and sucessfully transfered the perfect dash pad to my cracked dash [to need to keep the vin number on my project car intact and unaltered if I changed them....I might have trouble filing an insurance claim, or bunch of bs from 50 if I get stopped and thay run my tags, which I just got new plates and added it to my progressive insurance policy today.

The donor car, a na 81 is one that someone ran out of money to finish and with the economy hard, sold it to me for 200 bucks.

new front fenders and fender liners, perfect dash, weatherstrip for the t tops, it goes on...custom black paint, same as mine so the fenders should blend in. had a crash on right rear q panel, new one in trunk from somewhere?

bits and pieces to really freshin up my car.

Honestly I have so much on my plate now I need sympathy spoon fed answers.

I am getting forgetful trying to do so much so quickly to satisfy code enforcement and the police who gave me the bright red courtesy ticket to do something with these cars or they are going to tow them at my expense, and if they do that...probably let them go instead of paying tow and stowage fees.

cars in question 81 black na and my early 240ish 260z, my grey 83 turbo automatic car thats resting on fixin to get her up...shes gonna be stock.

I really need help from you guys who know the answer, I don't have it in me to search al lot of posts for a long time.
thanx
kenny, Jim Bean just left the building....

Last edited by captken; 08-26-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:01 PM
The Good Twin

The plugs do match... plug it in. On the 240sx one there is an extra pigtail (gray female connector) which you don't use.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 PM
This facepalm's for you!

the 280zx has 2, the plugs don't match each other.
gotta pallnet spacer.
then you have something wrong

Iv got the S30t right behind me with the SX TB on it. using the stock ZX plug and the SX TB
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 PM
This facepalm's for you!

The plugs do match... plug it in. On the 240sx one there is an extra pigtail (gray female connector) which you don't use.
ya dont need that
Old 08-26-2009, 08:24 PM

too much quote on my part

ok Ill look tomorrow. The grey one which is oblong, I cant find a match for, but Ill try tomorrow.

I am really looking foward to letting you guys know how the jwt upgrade works on our cars. I am sure u already know, but Id like to give my impression, hell Jim Wolf called me the other day to solve a wiring problem....kudos to him hes busy i bet.

There is no way I could megasquirt my car cause I run a business and work all the time...and devote my time to becoming a z car know it all.....partly because the guys who work for me depend on me to hold up my end and run the business so that they can buy diapers, and food and....live a reasonably good life that I hope to continue to provide for them.

thankx kenny.

Last edited by captken; 08-26-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 PM
This facepalm's for you!

ok Ill look tomorrow. The grey one which is oblong, I cant find a match for, but Ill try tomorrow.
It goes to nothing. you don't use it.

the stock ZX plug fits the 240SX TPS (the black box on the side)
both are a 3 prong
Old 08-27-2009, 05:36 AM
The Good Twin

On the 240sx one there is an extra pigtail (gray female connector) which you don't use.
Originally Posted by skib
ya dont need that
The grey one which is oblong, I cant find a match for, but Ill try tomorrow.

Speechless.....
Old 08-27-2009, 08:21 AM

speechless....long....

Speechless.....

I'm learning here....lol.

I will get my car running today, after I figure out the hiccups.

It should drive and handle better than new.

Underneath a zero mile car....new wheel bearings even...everything redone. Tokico springs/shocks

I did the complete poly bushings and reman rack/pinion.
btw, here is a part number for those wanting to replace the rubber isolation mounts for a zx with rack/pinion. Poly bushings arent available.

So my friend Steve at Lander's Nissan in Southaven [Z car guy from back when the 240Z was new..] took the time to look up in BOOKS the new rubber mounts for your zx project.

parts number is 5445-F5100. I don't remember if thats a set or for each one,you need 2.
I got an extra set for my grey 83zx, the auto turbo the one that Fubar sat thru the front windshield, landed his azz on the dashboard, had to pull him out!!!! was funny....while trying to pull the motor.???

The only problem with that car was na injectors instead of turbo.

pulled the motor, new timing set, gaskets everywhere check everything out ect....head is a P90a, new head gasket, on engine stand, car sits awaiting under a tarp, cracked dash but otherwise good looking black interior.
After my learning curve on the pita black 5 speed turbo car is over,
the grey one is going FOR SALE! Untampered with except the motor is out, was going to build her up like my black car...too much for me to handle while running a business is the reason to sell. No spare time.
If there is any one in the memphis area that would like to buy the grey car with [BLACK INTERIOR] the motor,everything you need to get her going, plus a windshield to replace Fubars azz print, email me....this car is completely stock.
I have several sets of tested turbo injectors to go with the build.
has stock swastica wheels, with center caps installed.
After I finish my 83zx, I don't want to mess with another one.
Turbo has no play....you can even pick from about 5 spare turbos I got.
I want to move them. Don't have the time for them at all!!! I want to move all the spare parts I got too. Turbo wiring harnesses, boxes of spare parts for z cars gathered over the past 4 years...
kenny. I might even part with a complete set of 4 16" Panasport wheel, complete with stainless valve stems, and panasport center caps.....NEW IN 2 BOXES.
I pull the engine from every turbo car that comes up at the yards in memphis, complete with wiring harness, ecus,

I got 2 complete turbo motors, 1 is an 81 with the cas on the crank,

Thats the one I want to send off to get rebuilt.

I have a new, from datsun/nissan parts dept LD28 crank

I want 500. bucks for the ld28 crank by itself, thats what I paid for it...make me an offer on all my z parts....serious.

Last edited by captken; 08-27-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ I dunno what you were trying to say there, but here's some pics of the TPS hooked up to my 60mm TB. Don't mind the missing TPS cover...
Attached Thumbnails 240sx throttle body hook up-dsc08915-copy.jpg   240sx throttle body hook up-dsc08916-copy.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 PM

thank you

I'll look at my car in the daylight.

Thanks for your expert help, you know your ****.

meanwhile:

I am putting together all my parts, cataloging them, see what I really got.
I want to sell the whole lot.

keep my early 260 and my black turbo zx. 2 running cars thats all.

I went overboard buying cars and parts. I had 5 z cars, gave 1 to fubar, Now I have 2 83 turbo cars and a early 240ish 260z, I just bought a 81 na....bought it for the perfect dash [Nick just changed out the na dash pad to my turbo dash shell. We did that to retain the vin # , keep it intact] The other parts to restore my turbo car, mainly fenders and a door, then I'll crush that bitch....The motor and tranny I am going to give to Nick, who is now helping me..he is learning just like me. We are just having fun figuring stuff out.
He has an early 240z and I mean early, the first run....with the vents on the hatch.... in vgc.
I gave Fubar the 83 4 seater just like what he has. His was a pos and he needed the car.
He used the motor and tranny to fix his car right, I was surprised when he took me for a ride in it after he put in the motor and tranny....very fast car. I am glad I was able to help him...I learned a lot from Jeff. I was only too glad to give it to him.

After this project is over......

everything else needs to go...period, even if I have to throw the **** away.

I'm gonna keep my Panasports though.

Got so many parts, I don't want or need.

Memphis is a dead area for Z car stuff, I might ebay the parts though.
thought about parting out the grey turbo car. ebaying the black interior. Complete engine, wiring harnesses, jpipes, rubber intake hose thingys, all turbo stuff. P90 heads P90a heads, turbo valve covers, turbo manifolds, intake manifolds, downpipes, all the brackets, bolts, lots of

I got one of my guys to help me clear out my garage today, with instructions no z car parts in here at all now I have stacks piled in boxes in my driveway, until tomorrow, then Ill will be moving the parts to my storage unit. I want this **** outta here. Period. No z parts at home at all.

kenny and jim bean...jim's finished for the nite

Last edited by captken; 08-27-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:14 AM
eff good grammar

^^^ that, or look for an Altima KA24DE motor, or Infiniti G20 SR20DE motor. Those are 60mm as well & usually use a linkage ball. Then all you have to do is cut that spring dowel & flip the linkage ball.
is it just the altima or is it any MPFI KA24?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:23 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ I'm not really sure. I've just noticed while junk yard hopping that the FWD KA24DE / SR20DE motors are throttle linkage. I say that because the Frontier KA24DE is cable linkage like the 240sx.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 AM

Hey guys the manual KA24 240sx TBs have ONLY the sensor, not the sensor and the switch like the auto cars. [So it only has the "oblong grey thing" not the Datsun 3 Pin EV1-looking rectangular connector]

How do I know this? I have one sitting in my garage.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:39 AM
The Good Twin

Pics!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Uh... okay

This is my KA24DE TB on my shaved 75 intake: [Notice both the TPS and TP Switch]

100_2449.jpg?t=1251472314

This is not my TB but you can see where the switch should be, but it's not there:

Name:  DSCF0075.jpg
Views: 2853
Size:  508.4 KB

So it ONLY has the Throttle Position Sensor coming out, and you need the Throttle position SWITCH for the stock Z EFI. Hope this helps!

Just a little FYI - I did the swap for Cable linkage because I hate the stock mechanical linkage, and I knew I was going with MegaSquirt later on, which I am running on Flat Black now.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 AM
The Good Twin

That just blew my mind! I've never seen one of those "non-tps tps's" before! And I've looked at probably 50 Nissan TB's in the junk yards.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 AM

:P Me > NismoPick haha

j/k buddy I hadn't seen one until about a month ago when a friend with eighty billion S14s brought in a spare manifold to the shop.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:21 AM

Also, please please don't forget to port out the manifold to match the TB opening, otherwise the throttle response will be really really choppy. I had to take it off again because I didn't do it the first time and the airflow is horrible when the 60mm opening hits the 50mm intake hole.

Here is my setup with cable linkage:

Name:  100_2470.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  124.4 KB

This is a very very old picture haha - my battery is in the hatch, I have a new motor, I converted the fusible links to Scoche fuse blocks, the engine bay is Flat Black now, and I'm running MS1 V3.0 MSnSE on a NA > T
Old 08-28-2009, 11:20 AM
This facepalm's for you!

where did you source that fuel rail from?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 PM

Went to Pete's house and picked it up

It's a Pallnet rail with a Summit fuel pressure gauge.

Quick Reply: 240sx throttle body hook up