280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring issues help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:13 PM

wiring issues help

ok so i've been taking the car apart trying to figure out why the dash lights speedo, tach, and gauge lights dont come on as well as my blinkers stopped working and no reverse lights even after replacing them. Its a 1982 280zx turbo. There was an aftermarket deck installed and the guy was an idiot and left a lot of exposed wires but idk if that was the issue for everything. I've been coming across a lot of unpluged and cliped wires that i have no idea what they are for or where they go so i took pictures of most of the wires in there locations so hopefully some people will chime in and know where these things go so i can get these wired back up piece by piece. i also dont have a fuse box cover and the haynes manual tells me the fuses i need but i have no idea which fuse is for what and the guy put bigger fusses in which i'm sure isnt good so help on that would be awesome too. Thanks so much this is my first Z and i just picked it up this month so im totally new.

End of the grey or white wire that goes into the firewall. have no idea what its for

several female and male circle plugs by the coil. What goes where???

Grey or white wire going into the firewall, the other end is on the driver side of the car cut. what is this for?

Circle male wire from a/c compressor close to the yellow female circle connector. Do those go together?

yellow female circle plug close to the a/c compressor male circle plug. do those go together?

This is under the dash driver side and have no idea what its for

This was coming from computer area. any idea?

lots of duct tape. This guy left a lot of exposed stuff and shitty connections. The radio also doesnt keep memory for some reason

The guys attempt to wire in aftermarket radio. a lot of exposed wires and duct tape wtf

Wires i found behind the radio. Stock speaker wires or radio wires? Not sure what else

Last edited by scoobydoo512; 10-13-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 PM

Missing vacuum hose from EGR Valve and dont know where it goes

missing vacuum hose from AAC valve and have no idea where it needs to go

Unplugged by brake fluid container, didnt find another plug for it.

missing a vacuum hose from the charcoal canister. have no idea where it needs to go

Not sure if i plugged the right wire in or not but theres one male circle plug and 2 female circle plugs here by the engine compartment light

T adapter for vacuum hoses

vacuum hose from a/c vacuum tank

Vacuum Hose from the ASCD servo valve and t adapter with hose missing but the vacuum hose from the a/c vacuum tank isnt plugged in either so idk what goes in that t adapter b/c a different vacuum hose from the a/c vacuum tank is already plugged into the T

2 wires by battery. Not sure where they lead to. Circle female plugs. Green and Green/Yellow

Last edited by scoobydoo512; 10-13-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:15 PM

These were behind the radio. Is this for the stock radio or am i missing something?

This yellow/black wire was cut so i crimped them back together. dont know what its for or what it did.

solid yellow wire that someone cut and put a smaller yellow wire to connect to the other bigger yellow wire. Not sure if thats a problem but maybe the connection is bad where he put them together.

A T plug that has no home and 2 cliped wires that i have no idea go to. maybe the light for the floor board?

Comes out from under the center console and goes to the other side. I tried looking for a plug for this under the dash but so far no luck

3 blue/white wires together? not sure if its supposed to be 3 here since its on the harness inside on the passenger side leading to the back of the car

fuse box with no cover. Really not sure which fuse is for what and im pretty sure theres not supposed to be any 30 or 7.5 amp fuses by what the haynes manual is saying.

Last edited by scoobydoo512; 10-13-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Stock radio, no worries.

Check underneath the reservoir, should be a connection there.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 PM

ok cool thanks ill go check
Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 PM

ok so i took out the windshield wiper fluid tank and looked under the brake fluid reservoir and theres not a plug in site for that T plug :/ at least the stock radio plugs are off the list now lol
Old 10-14-2010, 02:50 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by scoobydoo512
ok so i took out the windshield wiper fluid tank and looked under the brake fluid reservoir and theres not a plug in site for that T plug :/ at least the stock radio plugs are off the list now lol
If my Z were in the driveway (and had the original engine in it) i'd go look, cause that two prong plug stays, cause I remember that it goes to something around there...
Old 10-14-2010, 03:48 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I own N/A's, although I don't know how much different a Turbo is. Do you have any schematics or wiring diagrams to your car? I know I have a Turbo Clymer manual somewhere in this house. That might help you. The best way to figure out the wires. Is by looking up the colors of them. And seeing where the wires are nearest too. To pinpoint where they might go. As for those wires behind the stereo.
Those look to mainly be speaker wires. I have pretty much the same color of wires. You should have 2 lefts, and 2 rights. 2 on front, and 2 on the rear channels. Okay, the green with black stripes, purple with black stripes, grey with black stripes, and the white with black stripes. Those are your speaker wires. 4 channels total. The red wire should be your power wire to your stereo. And the yellow wire should be for your memory. If I remember correctly. That should help you get started. Oh, and of course the black wire will be your ground for the stereo.

Hopefully that will start to help you. I would look more into this. But I am tired, and need to go to bed. I will look at my Z tomorrow. And try to help you further. Minus the Turbo components under the hood. Which I cannot help you with. I am sure with everybody's help on here. And you also doing what research you can. We can overcome this dilemna you have. Good luck man.

Last edited by WildmaN; 10-14-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 AM

yea got all the radio wires figured out last night but as for the other stuff not so much yet lol. still trying to find out thanks for the help though
Old 10-14-2010, 08:16 AM
The Good Twin

#1: I have no idea what that white wire is, but it's not orig. Where it comes out of the firewall through that rubber grommet... it should not be there. That's where the vacuum lines go for your vents (which are also missing).

#2: Male connector on that lil condenser attached to the coil goes to black wire w/ white stripe.

#3: a/c pump wire connects to yellow wire... there should only be one option there.

#4: The black switch under drivers side dash goes to the floor vent controls.

#5: The t connector coming from the ECU isn't used.

I could go on, but all these answers can be easily found in your 280zx HAYNES manual, or FSM.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
#1: I have no idea what that white wire is, but it's not orig. Where it comes out of the firewall through that rubber grommet... it should not be there. That's where the vacuum lines go for your vents (which are also missing).

#2: Male connector on that lil condenser attached to the coil goes to black wire w/ white stripe.

#3: a/c pump wire connects to yellow wire... there should only be one option there.

#4: The black switch under drivers side dash goes to the floor vent controls.

#5: The t connector coming from the ECU isn't used.

I could go on, but all these answers can be easily found in your 280zx HAYNES manual, or FSM.
i have the haynes manual and i have no idea where to find that stuff in there. theres so many same color **** in the wiring diagrams and i have no idea how to read it thats why i posted it in here for some help to figure everything out. so thats why my vents dont work besides my floor vents. need to figure out vacuum hoses which i cant seem to find in the haynes manual either. maybe im not lookin in the right spot but i've been trying