280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo charging a non turbo 280zx?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 12:37 PM

I know the turbo engine has a different head and pistons. You should be able to do it as long as you didn't turn up the boost. Have you tried looking for a turbo engine and just doing a engine swap? That would be the easiest way i think.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:50 AM

I´m Turbocharging my N/A but that´s because I cant´t get a turbo-engine here in sweden. It does not have to be that expensive, however I will have to replace the pistons if I want too run higher boost. Here´s some pics if you´re interested:http://speedfreak.nu/modules.php?set...view_album.php Mine is the yellow 280zx and the red one belongs to a friend who has a twin-turbo setup.

Last edited by Fredrik; 12-15-2003 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:46 AM

combo turn signal / driving light

Dear Fredrik,

First off, nice ZX, I hope you're successful with the turbo project. The reason I replied is that I have been looking for a way to get the combination turn signal / driving lights that come on the euro-version of the ZX. You wouldn't happen to know of a place where they sell them? Here in the US all you can get is the full amber turn signal light. I want to have driving lights, but I don't want something just bolted on, I would like the integrated bumper look of the Euro ZX.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,

VernonZ
Old 12-15-2003, 08:37 AM
The Evil Twin

On your turbo project, it is usually not recomended to turbo charge a non-turbo engine. 145K is not a lot of miles for a car this old but for doing a major performance change that engine is considered old and tired.

If you do put a turbo on there, due to your higher compression you'll want to keep the boost down to 5-6 psi max. Even then you may run into problems. Recently I have heard of people putting a turbo on an n/a engine and actually using the same fuel system and computer and due to the oxygen sensor or something like that the engine richens the fuel mixture to try to make up for the extra air coming in. ?? I wouldn't ever suggest it but it might work for you. You'll probably be looking at a good 30hp increase. Don't bother running an intercooler but do run high octain fuel. Now, you'll also need to cool the turbo. You can either get the 280zx turbo which is oil cooled and you will need to run an oil line from your oil pan or get a different turbo (300ZX) which is water cooled and run water lines to it. I think the water cooled might be better for your application.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:46 AM

Re: combo turn signal / driving light

Originally posted by VernonZ
Dear Fredrik,

First off, nice ZX, I hope you're successful with the turbo project. The reason I replied is that I have been looking for a way to get the combination turn signal / driving lights that come on the euro-version of the ZX. You wouldn't happen to know of a place where they sell them? Here in the US all you can get is the full amber turn signal light. I want to have driving lights, but I don't want something just bolted on, I would like the integrated bumper look of the Euro ZX.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,

VernonZ
My car is originally from the US but I had to change both of my bumpers due to corrosion. Thats why I have euro-bumpers now (less weight as well ) I was lucky to find new bumpers here in Sweden but I don´t know of any more. I buy almost all of my parts from the US because it´s almost impossible to get z-parts in europe. It´s not the cheapest way (shipping +about 35% swedish tax on the total sum, parts+shipping) but it´s the only way I know
Old 12-16-2003, 07:36 AM
The Evil Twin

Why pay to machine the pistons when you can buy stock 280Z pistons that are already dished?

The 280ZX turbo uses the same F54 block that the 280ZX N/A uses. The head volume is about the same too. The turbo uses dished pistons to get about 7.5:1 compression while the N/A uses flat tops for 8.8:1 compression. (1981-83)

If you have a 280ZX older than 1981, then you've already got dished pistons and you should just swap your head or get a 2mm head gasket which will cost the same as a used head. Get the P79 or P90 head. P79 is a non-turbo head and is easier to find.
- - - - -
I see you have an 83, so you can change your pistons out for those from a 75-80 and you'll be fine. I guess. With all that work though, why not swap in a turbo engine?