280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T3/T04 Turbo Install?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:38 PM

T3/T04 Turbo Install?

I just got an '83 ZX turbo, had a few minor engine problems, but everythings riding smooth now. I'm looking to get more power out of it, hopefully without breaking the bank. From what I've seen here and other places, placing a bigger turbo would be a good way to do that. I just have a few questions which I really haven't seen answered here:

1) How big of a project is the install itself? Is there any fabrication or major work that needs to be done (I enjoy working on cars, but I've never done anything too major)?

2) How necessary is an intercooler - is it a necessity, or just suggested? Along the same lines as the turbo, how involved is the install?

3) What, if any, other parts need to be replaced if I do this?

4) In your experiences, are the power gains worth the effort?

5) How much is this going to run me?

Also, if you guys know of any on-line resources that give a good breakdown of what needs to be done (preferably with pictures) I would be much obliged.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

are you getting a TO4E or TO4B?? a E will be the simplest and will bolt up to your existing exhaust manifold. Intercooler will be a great add one since your going to be buying a expensive turbo. are you planning on going internal or external wastegate? what trim do you want. i could give answers but their are stickys everywhere. if you check out hybrid or maybe this site they can give you what trim you need for you turbo. depends on what power you want. you dont want to big of a trim or you will have some lag. im guessing your going to be using stock efi and what not so i would not expect to much. personally i would save and get all the GOOD stuff at one time. ms,bigger turbo,3.0 mandrel bent dp, intercooler, msd, etc etc. fyi a decent t3/t4 is going to cost you a pretty penny, thats why alot of people go get the holset turbo.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 AM
Externally Wastegated

Originally Posted by Twomuchchex
I just got an '83 ZX turbo, had a few minor engine problems, but everythings riding smooth now. I'm looking to get more power out of it, hopefully without breaking the bank. From what I've seen here and other places, placing a bigger turbo would be a good way to do that. I just have a few questions which I really haven't seen answered here:

1) How big of a project is the install itself? Is there any fabrication or major work that needs to be done (I enjoy working on cars, but I've never done anything too major)?

2) How necessary is an intercooler - is it a necessity, or just suggested? Along the same lines as the turbo, how involved is the install?

3) What, if any, other parts need to be replaced if I do this?

4) In your experiences, are the power gains worth the effort?

5) How much is this going to run me?

Also, if you guys know of any on-line resources that give a good breakdown of what needs to be done (preferably with pictures) I would be much obliged.
To answer your questions:

1) Depending on how mechanically inclined you are will determine how easy the job is. The first time I swapped turbos, it took me 8 hours because I was taking my sweet time. Now it's about a 2 hour or less job. A T3/T4 will bolt up with no problems. Just be sure to get one with the 4 bolt Nissan outlet. My T3/T04B bolted up with no problems. I got mine used with only 39 miles on it at a bargain price. Normal prices are ~600-1000 depending on trim, etc.

2) Get an intercooler asap if you upgrade turbos. Otherwise you'll still be feeding hot air and I guarantee you by the 2nd 1/2 of a 1/4 mile run, you will start to ping on a hot day. I am using Speaco intercooler for an 89 Supra and it works fine. It's not hard to install. Just takes time to make and install the piping. I had to cut a little bit of the radiator support to make room for the pipes to fit. I spent about $500 for the intercooler and buying the piping necessary.

3) I would upgrade your fuel pump for one, and your injectors. As a bare minimum get new ones as you don't want to rely on old ones that might not be giving enough fuel under load. Upgrade the head gasket too. In the long run you will save money. I cheaped out and now I'm having to replace mine. 26 year old head gaskets don't like 16 psi of boost for very long haha.

4) Yes the power gains are worth it. The T3 is very inefficient around 14-15 psi and pretty much becomes a flamethrower with the amount of heat it generates. You can't complain with near stock spool and more power across the board.

5) Price is dependent on what you find. All together, the turbo, intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, ecu, fuel pressure regulator, head gasket, head studs, boost controller, wastegate, maf, and downpipe cost me ~1800 for everything. I can't quote you a hp number, but it's fast enough for me at daily driver levels on 16 lbs. (when it was running). I posted up a vid on here when it was running on 14 lbs, and it was quick enough to get from 30-120 mph in about 12 seconds on a 2nd gear roll with me granny shifting which is decent.

As stated above, it's best to get what you can afford at the time because it will reduce headaches and increase your reliability. Hybridz is definitely a great site to use for info. I would say that site has most technical knowledge of all the z forums. Just be aware that you need to search before asking as many of the members there are tired of answering the same questions over and over again and aren't very friendly to people who don't search first.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by lifegrddude

As stated above, it's best to get what you can afford at the time because it will reduce headaches and increase your reliability. Hybridz is definitely a great site to use for info. I would say that site has most technical knowledge of all the z forums. Just be aware that you need to search before asking as many of the members there are tired of answering the same questions over and over again and aren't very friendly to people who don't search first.

While slighlty passive-aggressive (which I can respect), thanks for the information.

All the gaskets are new in the engine.

Is the T3/T04 completely bolt in the same way as the T3, or will I need a spacer/conversion plate to connect it to the intake?

Assuming I get this stuff all at once (turbo, intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, ecu, etc...) how long of a project would this be (manhours I guess, working at a steady pace)?

As far as 260z turbo's question goes, what is the functional difference between thy T04B and the T04E? When I look at them on-line, many sites don't seem to have that distinction, unless I'm missing something.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Twomuchchex
Assuming I get this stuff all at once (turbo, intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, ecu, etc...) how long of a project would this be (manhours I guess, working at a steady pace)?
Did you read the previous posts carefully?

Originally Posted by lifegrddude

1) Depending on how mechanically inclined you are will determine how easy the job is. The first time I swapped turbos, it took me 8 hours because I was taking my sweet time. Now it's about a 2 hour or less job. A T3/T4 will bolt up with no problems. Just be sure to get one with the 4 bolt Nissan outlet. My T3/T04B bolted up with no problems. I got mine used with only 39 miles on it at a bargain price. Normal prices are ~600-1000 depending on trim, etc.
Time spent and difficulty are RELATIVE to the person doing the work. Do you know what you are doing?

Also... the internet is full of information on turbos. This site is full of info too. Searching out the answer will usually yield more benefit than just asking, and waiting for a response. Having said that, we are here to help... I'm jus sayin.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Did you read the previous posts carefully?

Time spent and difficulty are RELATIVE to the person doing the work. Do you know what you are doing?

Also... the internet is full of information on turbos. This site is full of info too. Searching out the answer will usually yield more benefit than just asking, and waiting for a response. Having said that, we are here to help... I'm jus sayin.

I have been searching around, and I've been learning a lot, especially from this site and hybridz. If it only takes 8 hours (taking your time) to install a turbo, intercooler, a new fuel pump, injectors, and everything else; I'll start it tomorrow! I'm fairly proficient, I just wanted to know if this was something most people could do in a weekend (seems doubtful) or if it's something that will take a lot longer. I have a garage, but it would be pretty inconvenient to have the Z in pieces for a week or two.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
The Good Twin

Word. Since it's your first time, make sure you have a Haynes manual or FSM handy.

Lifegrddude & 260zTurbo have covered everything... but I'll just reiterate their points again:

Installing a larger turbo from a stock one will definitely take some time. You will have to remove all lines to it, and the 4 turbo to exhaust manifold nuts are a biotch. Nissan installed a special nut lock flange that has to be unbent away from the nuts before you can loosen them. 2 of the 4 nuts are easy to access. The other 2 are a pain. Then you have to ease the turbo around the steering column. And remember... a diff turbo means a diff downpipe... those do get very pricey.

Installing an intercooler is all your own thing. There's several companies that make kits for the 280zxt, but at $1500-$2000 it's much more realistic to make your own setup.

New fuel pump... are you replacing it w/ a new stock one or aftermarket? An aftermarket one isn't going to be a direct fit, so additional parts will be needed, which also means more time in custom install work.

Injectors... been covered...

Last edited by NismoPick; 07-01-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Externally Wastegated

Swapping the turbo itself was a 8 hour job, but you could replace injectors and the pump easily during that time as well since the fuel rail is coming off, and the fuel pump is easy to access. The intercooler took me 4 hours to setup and install. As for the ecu and maf, that was a separate job that I did down the road from the turbo upgrade. If you have a 3 day weekend, you can get the turbo swap and most likely the intercooler done. The hardest part is finding all the bolts for the manifolds. After that, it's cake. I had school so it took me 3 weekends to get the job done. (dunno why I decided the week before finals was a good time to start the swap)

T04E and B differences are on the Garret website. They have a huge list of compressor maps available for viewing so you can tailor your turbo to your preferences.

Edit: Haha Nismo, you type a lot faster than me. Now I just sound like a broken record.