280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Diff Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 02:56 PM

Question Rear Diff Questions

Ok, I know people want the R200 diffs but I am confused. Are all the R200 diffs Limited Slip or just specific ones? If it is only specific R200's that are LSD's then exactly which ones (years/cars) are they? Why would someone want an R200 if it is not a LSD over an R180 if they are one wheel wonders also? Is it just a matter of gear ratio's? I know that the White 1989 300zx Turbo's R200 diff seems to be very desireable. I am just looking for a clue here guys. Correct me if I am wrong but if I have an R180 and swap in an R200, wont I have to change my driveshaft? What about half shafts?

This is a little off subject but my buddys N/A 1980 2+2 5 speed will rip the meat off of both tires evenly at the same time, everytime....does this mean he has an R200 or an LSD? It is bone stock. Also, on this site it says that all 2+2 and Turbo cars have a 240mm clutch, if his car is a non turbo wouldn't it be safe to say that a 240mm clutch would work in a non turbo, non T5 tranny say like in a 1982 N/A Coupe 5 speed? I am trying to justify getting a T5 over the N/A 5 speed if a 240mm clutch will work in a N/A tranny.

Well there it is, a little brain twister for you all...now let's see who can school me. I do need this info as I am about to make a decision on a tranny and possibly an R200. Thanks guys.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:45 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by thxone
Ok, I know people want the R200 diffs but I am confused. Are all the R200 diffs Limited Slip or just specific ones? If it is only specific R200's that are LSD's then exactly which ones (years/cars) are they? Why would someone want an R200 if it is not a LSD over an R180 if they are one wheel wonders also? Is it just a matter of gear ratio's? I know that the White 1989 300zx Turbo's R200 diff seems to be very desireable. I am just looking for a clue here guys. Correct me if I am wrong but if I have an R180 and swap in an R200, wont I have to change my driveshaft? What about half shafts?
Like Allen said... on 87-89 300ZX Turbos have the R200 LSD. All were clutch minus the 88 SS which had the viscous. That one requires special cv shafts.

R180's & R200's have slightly different bodies. The R180 is skinnier than the R200. If you swap an R180 for an R200, you can yank the driveshaft coupler & use the R200 cv/half shafts.

This is a little off subject but my buddys N/A 1980 2+2 5 speed will rip the meat off of both tires evenly at the same time, everytime....does this mean he has an R200 or an LSD? It is bone stock. Also, on this site it says that all 2+2 and Turbo cars have a 240mm clutch, if his car is a non turbo wouldn't it be safe to say that a 240mm clutch would work in a non turbo, non T5 tranny say like in a 1982 N/A Coupe 5 speed? I am trying to justify getting a T5 over the N/A 5 speed if a 240mm clutch will work in a N/A tranny.
Just because someone can "rip the meat off both tires" in a straight line, doesn't mean they have LSD.

The most simple way to find out if a diff is LSD: lift up the rear of the car & turn one wheel, if the wheel on the other side turns the same way... LSD. If it turns the oposite way... OPEN DIFF.

Yes... you can use a 240mm flywheel on a nonturbo setup.

Well there it is, a little brain twister for you all...now let's see who can school me. I do need this info as I am about to make a decision on a tranny and possibly an R200. Thanks guys.
Not much of a brain twister... most of this info is in the Haynes Manual. Did ya get one yet?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick

Not much of a brain twister... most of this info is in the Haynes Manual. Did ya get one yet?

ummm, no.....but I have the FSM

This info does help a bit....Good to hear about the 240mm clutch though.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:34 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Actually, the best combo for acceleration is the '72 to '76 4 or 5 speed

1st 3.592
2nd 2.246
3rd 1.415
4th does it really matter?
5th who needs it...

with the NISMO 4.38:1 R180 LSD...

The trannies are easier to find, I've only ever seen one of the NISMO R180's...

The R180's are also several pounds lighter than the R200's if you don't need the extra strength of the R200. For those of you with mild performance upgrades, the R200 is overkill unless you want it specifically for the LSD.

If you already have the R200, it's not worth the trouble to convert back to an R180, but if you have an R180, a BRAND NEW clutch type LSD assembly is available from Precision Gear for about $450.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:56 PM

I am actually looking for good acceleraton in 1st 2nd and 3rd but I want to retain a good highway gear for cruising so I may keep my R180 3.54:1. I just posted in the lounge about some fish tanks I am willing to sell or trade for the right parts...wink wink.

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...highlight=Fish
Old 09-10-2006, 07:48 PM

I do like the gearing in the BW. I think it would still be good with my 3.54:1 R180

Manual T-5 5 speed (82-83 Turbo): 1st Gear: 3.500, 2nd: 2.144, 3rd: 1.375, 4th: 1.000, 5th: 0.780

I may still be able to get 23-25 mpg or better on the highway in top gear.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:49 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Make sure you get the drive shaft that goes with the T5 or you'll have to have your's customized to fit.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:21 AM
The Evil Twin

I may still be able to get 23-25 mpg or better on the highway in top gear.
With a 3.54 rear, the T5, and your NA engine you want 25mpg on the highway!!! hahaha!

I had that exact combo in a 2+2 and I got 25 overall and 32mpg on the highway... with my 3.9 rear and the T5 I was getting 21-23mpg average and probably 27-28 on the highway.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:46 PM

I was getting 15-17 mpg in my ZX. And that was highway. Of course I was sporting a 3.9 with a 4 speed from an S30 Never did get to drive the turbo long enough to log the difference in fuel economy with the 5 speed
Old 09-11-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
With a 3.54 rear, the T5, and your NA engine you want 25mpg on the highway!!! hahaha!

I had that exact combo in a 2+2 and I got 25 overall and 32mpg on the highway... with my 3.9 rear and the T5 I was getting 21-23mpg average and probably 27-28 on the highway.
Are you pulling my leg Bleach? Are you saying that 600+ miles per tank of gas is possible in my car??? The FSM says my car holds just over 21 gallons of gas though it does seems to do a decent job with the automatic even with it's 1 to 1 final drive.

21 gallons multiplied by 32 mpg = 672 miles total
21 gallons multiplied by 30 mpg = 630 miles total
21 gallons multiplied by 25 mpg = 525 miles total
21 gallons multiplied by 20 mpg = 420 miles total
16 gallons multiplied by 24 mpg = 384 miles total (My 1992 V6 Camaro 5 speed)

I think if I were able to stay near 25 mpg that would be just fine by me. I may need a wing or rear spoiler of some kind though, I am not sure the coupe is as aerodynamic as the 2+2 being the 2+2 is a little longer. I don't know which body produces more drag.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:53 PM
The Good Twin

I may need a wing or rear spoiler of some kind though
To increase drag?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:58 PM

I think if I were able to stay near 25 mpg that would be just fine by me. I may need a wing or rear spoiler of some kind though, I am not sure the coupe is as aerodynamic as the 2+2 being the 2+2 is a little longer. I don't know which body produces more drag.
I doubt either creates more drag then the other. If anything the 2+2 has a steeper rake in the hatch which would create more drag. I doubt it would ever come into affect with the speeds these cars see on the streets though. If you want to reduce drag then get a whale tail. The way it hangs way off the rear deck prevents the air coming over the top from dragging along the rear of the car.

Anything that sticks up into the air stream is going to create drag though. Its a game of counter and balance. A whale tail creates enough positives to offset any negative it may create (cant think of any though as its not a high drag design). It's the slight lip at the rear of the wing that creates the downforce while the elongated design reduces drag.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:59 PM

To increase drag?
To a point...some downforce would make it a little safer at highway speeds...just to help keep the rear planted. I think the msa type 2 front air dam would be helpful also.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:02 PM

The front end of the 280zx is actually a good design. I dont really think the MSA kit would do much aerodynamically. A chin spoiler to reduce ground clearance and keep the air out from under the car would definitely make a difference at higher speeds though. I've got a book on just how much testing went into the aerodynamics of the 280zx. It was actually one of the most primary goals.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM

The "whale tail" was the spoiler I was thinking about but not the full sized one, I think it hangs over the rear of the car TOO far...appearance wise anyway...I like the smaller whale tail as it doesn't hang over so much and seems to fit the lines of the car better asthetically.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:11 PM
The Good Twin

To a point...some downforce would make it a little safer at highway speeds...just to help keep the rear planted. I think the msa type 2 front air dam would be helpful also.
You planning on a lot of 100mph+ driving???

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
The front end of the 280zx is actually a good design. I dont really think the MSA kit would do much aerodynamically.
Indeed... MSA kits look good, but they deffinately weren't designed for highspeed downforce.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:41 PM

You planning on a lot of 100mph+ driving???

Indeed... MSA kits look good, but they deffinately weren't designed for highspeed downforce.
Well you never know when you need to outrun the police... Maybe not 100+mph but lots of steady driving between 70-80mph. I know a spoiler on the rear makes a night and day difference on a 1978 Camaro at those speeds, I know the Z's are a totally different car but the function of the spoiler could still work on the ZX I am sure. I am not a fan of the *** of the car wondering around....and on the Camaro's at 110mph on straight flat ground I was scared in the car without the spoiler. I am not saying I would not take my ZX over the 100mph barrier, I am sure I would once or twice.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:46 PM
The Good Twin

I am not saying I would not take my ZX over the 100mph barrier, I am sure I would once or twice.
I've taken my 280zxt to 130mph+ (won't incriminate myself TOO much here) several times & it feels fine... high speed stability also involves good suspension.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ASA240z
J, how was the drivability of your car with that set up? Any idea as to what your top speed was?

Allen
She pulled hard but stop and go traffic was easy to navigate. On the highway was a bitch though cause she was revving so high just cruising and I didnt have a muffler, just a resonator tip to quite the exhaust. I cant remember exactly, but I think it was up near 5 grand at 75 mph or so (dont quote me on that though as my memory isn't the greatest ). As far as top speed goes, I got her up in the 115 mph range according to the speedo on my brothers Stang (I dont know how accurate that is though). She was starting to get up near redline but was still pulling plenty hard at the point when I let off (was passing a couple tractor haulers).
Old 09-11-2006, 10:45 PM

Oh I was more then happy to get away from the 4 speed It took a while to get used to having that 5th gear. I spent a good deal of my maiden 12 hour voyage in 4th gear because I just spaced off using 5th. And thats despite the fact that my other cars were 5 speeds. Just being in the Z made my brain think 4 gears after driving it that way for 3 or so years. The day I bought it I had to swap in a 4 speed. She had a bad tranny and the tow yard I bought her from let me swap in a 4 speed from aN S30 they had sitting around so I could drive it home. So I had never driven her with a 5speed until I swapped in the turbo motor.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:52 PM
ダットサンマニアック

Oh I was more then happy to get away from the 4 speed It took a while to get used to having that 5th gear. I spent a good deal of my maiden 12 hour voyage in 4th gear because I just spaced off using 5th. And thats despite the fact that my other cars were 5 speeds. Just being in the Z made my brain think 4 gears after driving it that way for 3 or so years. The day I bought it I had to swap in a 4 speed. She had a bad tranny and the tow yard I bought her from let me swap in a 4 speed from aN S30 they had sitting around so I could drive it home. So I had never driven her with a 5speed until I swapped in the turbo motor.
So you swaped trannies at the JY? How hard was that to do?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:56 PM

I had it easy since both trannies were already out of the cars. They were going to do the swap anyways. I offered to do it myself to get a lower price out of them. They wanted something like $1500 for they car but I got it down to $650 if I did the tranny. I just had to put the S30 tranny into the 280zx and reattach the driveshaft and clutch lines. I ended up changing out all the hydraulics once I got it home as they hadn't aged to gracefully. Grinded gears home that day due to a bad slave cylinder All in all it was pretty easy to do. They wouldn't let me use their lift though One of their mechanics let me use his tools and what not though. Free of charge.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:08 PM

nope. Its a sad long story. I'm sure nismopick will pop up with a link to the thread. i cant remember which thread it was in but it was essentially stolen from me I'm awaiting delivery of my 260 now. That'll hold me over til I get another 280zx. Then I'll keep both
Old 09-11-2006, 11:53 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

You still haven't resolved the 'ownership' issue? Damn, I thought things were starting to get resolved after my last post...
Old 09-12-2006, 07:51 AM
The Good Twin

Its a sad long story. I'm sure nismopick will pop up with a link to the thread.
bah... J has too many posts...

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Questions