280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Results!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 06:44 PM

Race Results!

Would everyone please post any race results and the opposing cars whenever you race someone.

I will start off: Just 5 minutes ago, I was behind a 1998 Camaro Z28 and decided to see what all the hype is about Z28's, he thought the same thing but wondered about Turbo 280ZX's. I floored it, and he did the same and easily pulled away from me. But I caught up a bit later. (I think he let me catch up) I was pulling 6250RPM on my stock turbo 280zx, gaining on him, and then he suddenly pulled away again. I wish I could have caught up with him at a gas station or something and asked how fast he was going when I caught up the 1st time to solve my top speed question.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:41 PM

I shall be victorious!!!!!!

I beat a late 1980's Ford Mustang. He thought he was fast, but all i had to pull that time was 5600rpm to pass him up. Bad for a ford to be passed by a six banger
Old 07-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Bleach is my Hero

I started behind a 2000 ford mustang V6 and passed him before we got thru the intersection and got a good 10 carlenths ahead within a half mile, with him going to redline, and me shifting at 5800.. I hate mid life crisis cars
Old 07-05-2005, 10:43 AM
The Evil Twin

Last night I proved a couple times that my 280ZX N/A 5-speed is a lot faster than a 97 Mustang V6 auto from a rolling start. Not that there really was any question about that. Off the line I would have pulled even farther away.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:01 PM

Ford Mustang (non GT)- Read: Underpowered, over-weight pretty peice of machinery that never should have been offered in convertible. Seriously, the 6 cyl. mustangs are an imbarassment. Mustang lost it's weight advantage in the 80's, and the 6 never really had a power advantage then did it . Me and my brother had a fun little stint through the rockies. Me in my Z and him in his 94 stang. Poor guy couldn't get past 70 going up the hills. I'll tell you what though, he didn't lose much ground around the turns though. And we hit a top speed of 120 in my 4speed passing three tractor trailers. And that was only 5500rpms! She was still pulling, but I wasn't running for a land speed record, just trying to get home faster than 45mph .
Old 07-06-2005, 02:15 PM

Heh, funny story, I have a 04 v6 mustang(Daily driver) and a 82/83? zx NA...So yeah, we had to race them. From the line, with no traction(Due to **** tires) Z took about 3 car lengths... and kept it about that pace...Which pleased me..My stang ran 15.98(YEs v6 mustangs are garbo, but they are reliable, oh and they are chick cars. ****, sucks for me) so I'm hoping my Z is at about 15.5 but I won't know till I run it..I raced my friends Eclipse(newer model w/ v6) and he took about a car length on me, but I could've dipped on him w/ good tires...and he runs a 15.1..So I'm pretty pleased..My Z is, to the best of my knowledge bone stock, minus no accesories, running mid 15s??I can't explain it. Oh and I advanced the hell out of the timing. heh.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Doesn't post much...

All good stories. Whatever you do though... Don't try and take on a damn Jeep Grand Cherokee with the big V8!

I don't know what it is about those stinkin' jeeps, but they get the hole shot every time, and they are pretty fargin quick for a land yacht.

I wipe out ricer civics and integras with impunity, mustangs... bring 'em on... Almost nothing out there short of exotics and just plain muscle cars give my ZX a fright... But those damn jeeps!!!

Rod.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:34 PM

Them HEMIs..................you love 'em and you hate 'em
Old 07-06-2005, 10:00 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by 280ZX_AV8R
Them HEMIs..................you love 'em and you hate 'em
I fear no stock Hemi's. 12.72 quarter mile on street tires with an open diff.

I now have Hoosier's, Quaife LSD and new gears in the diff... Ummm... here come the 11's!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:40 PM

If you wanna hear about a wannabe, read this........

I was driving through my rural town at the posted 30 mph speed limit when i look behind me and see a pewter S-10 riding my tail. I start through the outskirts of town where the speed limit is increased to 55. That guy is now about four feet from my rear bumper.

Here are my options:

1. Lock up the brakes. Ouch my neck! Million dollar lawsuit.
2. Show him what a turbo 280zx looks like from a mile away.
3. Maintain speed and look straight ahead.

Well, I wasn't in the mood for a lawsuit and I couldn't maintain speed even if the cruise control worked.
I have to say that was the easiest race I've ever been in. I let him start to pass me, then stepped to about 3/4 to the floor. Pulled away from him like he was goin' in reverse. What makes someone think that owning a chevy S-10 means they own the road? At least give me a race
Old 07-08-2005, 12:54 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

7 months ago, I lost to a soccer mom on a cell phone in a Chevy Tahoe...
Old 07-08-2005, 01:57 AM

So I pull up to a light and up rolls this brand new PT cruiser and stops right beside me. The lane for me is clear, his merges into mine past the light with about 150metres of room. The light turns green and he guns it knowing he can beat a ratty ol'datsun with faded and scratched paint. I see him get a half car length ahead as I punch it about halfway. I am in 1st and going past him now. His ego is bruised so he floors it as I hear his engine scream. I see him pulling up again. The merge lane is coming up fast. No time to back off now boyz, so I floor it. The Z revs happily to redline and I shift her into 2nd. As I pop the clutch the rear tires let out a screaming howl as they get temporarily loose under the torque. The Z goes past the mini mopar in a rush. He pulls in behind me as his lane merges into mine. The lan being single and divided now, I slow down to legal limits as he rides my bumper. No tint on the Z, its sunny and the t-top shades are off. He can all but see me grinning as I roll along. Up a hill and the lanes become double again. He rolls by in the right lane. I let him scoot on. As he goes by I see the letters "GT" on the trunk. I think to myself is that right? Did I just show a PT cruiser GT driver who his daddy is? Yup! A turbo PT Cruiser GT with all that added HP is no match for the Z, a N/A 2+2 5spd at that. We pull up to the next light and same scenario awaits. He is perplexed and in disbelief. With a jaw wrenched he awaits the green light. The green turns to yellow for the cross roads. I look over and so does he, I rev the Z and grin at him. The green hits and he guns it, his tires squeak on the painted pedestrian stripes and he's on his way. Then slows down sheepishly cause I am not with him. So I gently let the clutch out and roll on with one big grin I cant wipe off my face. I see him looking back at the Z and me in his rear view mirror and everytime I see him look in the rear view mirror my grin keeps getting bigger.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
All good stories. Whatever you do though... Don't try and take on a damn Jeep Grand Cherokee with the big V8!

I don't know what it is about those stinkin' jeeps, but they get the hole shot every time, and they are pretty fargin quick for a land yacht.

I wipe out ricer civics and integras with impunity, mustangs... bring 'em on... Almost nothing out there short of exotics and just plain muscle cars give my ZX a fright... But those damn jeeps!!!

Rod.
Those Jeeps are geared for massive hill climbs and are nothing but torque! My mom just picked up one withg the straight 6, and took my '80 N/A 2+2 off the line, but after 45 mph, I gained a car length about every 2 seconds, till mom ate my dust! Gotta love the midrange power us Z drivers got!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:15 PM

Way to handle yourself nuclear. The humiliation is that much worse when you don't even need to run him a second time, you can just smile while he tries to get the redemption he'll never achieve. He gets to wallow in his defeat while your just happy as can be and dont have the dent in your wallet his PT GT made in his. Those damn things are ugly as hell anyways.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:37 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I agree man, they are fugly as can be! And the monthly payments have too suck worse, for the fact he got his #ss beat by a 20+ year old car!!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Doesn't post much...

Hey!, I own a PT Cruiser... It's actually a pretty cool little car. The styling isn't for everyone, but it's a good, reliable, versatile car. By the way, I am sure that a stock PT Turbo, vs a stock NA 280ZX would end in defeat for the ZX. Those things are pretty quick for a 4200lb car. Mine is just a stock NA with auto trans and it's surprisingly quick. So, Before everyone with a stock ZX thinks they're gonna go wipe out a PT turbo... don't be surprised if they hand you your *** instead. By the way... did I mention the PT weighs 4200lbs?!?!?!? and is powered by a 2.4 litre 4 cyl... I love my ZX, but beware that little PT turbo.

Rod.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:46 PM

Hey it's cool man no disrespect. I'm NOT knocking the car itself. I've never driven or been in one so I can't judge it in that aspect. I just can't say I agree with the styling of that particular automobile. But then I'm not really into that whole retro styling look on newer cars either. Well I think the mustang pulled it off nicely, but man the Thunderbird, UGH And are you freaking serious, 4200lbs!?! That thing is a tank! They don't look that heavy, had me fooled But like you said, that styling isn't for everyone.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:04 PM

The new Thunderbird is a joke!!!
I saw one get smoked by a 1980's Ram charger (the SUV Ram charger) at a 1/4 mile track
I think it ran something around the mid 18's or 19's with a V8. Maybe it was just the driver, but either way the thunderbirds are crap
Old 07-08-2005, 05:17 PM

Dude, my friend has an '02 T-bird and it is a lot faster than 18s or 19s. Im pretty sure it runs mid 14s stock. But yeah I think its ugly as hell, hes gonna sell it and buy the new GT 500.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by lww
7 months ago, I lost to a soccer mom on a cell phone in a Chevy Tahoe...
ghaaaaa...soccer moms....mmmmmmmmm

i had same experinence with a suburban,,,she just waved at me and took off...haha
Old 07-08-2005, 09:50 PM

Yeah, my dad has a 1997 GMC Z-71 that he says can outrun my car. I would race him, but he just might be able to beat me. Only thing I have going for me is weight advantage. Since his four-wheel drive weighs a lot.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:59 PM

The best part is z's are old and still roasting some of these cars. my 83 N/a got roasted by a 98 Chysler 300m (I think)
Old 07-08-2005, 10:47 PM

races hmmm in my z's time iv raced a fair few cars. wrx's, 180sx's, silvias, commodores, an rx imprezna, a mirage, a couple of falcon 4.0's, skylines, supra's sz and rz, another 280zx , magnas, and heeps more i cant remember. the zx deals with all but the turboed imports and the big v8 commodres and falcons. It scares on a regular basis my mates sz supra and usually takes down silvias and skylines till the turboes kick in.

oh and i for got to mention lancers! i hate lancers! they are not even worthy of wasting the gas. But the amount of cocky lancer drivers i have put in there place is incredable, i mean at what point do you think that spending 3 grand on an evo kit for a 1.5 litre powered POS makes it go faster? just dont get it.

a while bak must been a good few months, i had just finished hammering in to my gf's head that lancers are a girls car that makes my grandmother look quick. when what should pull up next too us? but a pissy little 1.8 litre lancer with a full evo kit. so to prove a point i rev up and let off on this guy and he gives a rev back. Its on now, and im goin to prove to my lady once and for all how pathetic lancers are in comparisson to the mighty Z.
the only thing was that when he reved the motor sounded like it might have had some *****, funny that most lancer drivers oly have 1 ********.
so neway the light goes green and we floor it....BROOOME!!

i check my stick, no im not in reverse ooookkkay! So somehow i actually picked the ONLY real evo in perth to prove that lancers are slow. hmmm not a good example.
my gf will never let me live that one down to this day i am haunted by the tail lights of a LANCER

i now sleep with a night light on and wake up in cold sweat's

but DAMN those evo's are quick! and he new how to drive it too, most ppl here cant drive for *****.

ah well u live and learn i suppose from now on i check the brakes of all the 1.8's with evo kits a little more closly.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:50 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
views expressed there-in are the authors opinions only zdriver does not condone the aduse of lancers in any way lol
Old 07-09-2005, 02:05 PM

Ok well lets see....I have beaten an old man in a 3.5l intrepid. Dont know what his problem was he was tailgating me and driving crazy through traffic and finally we cought a light. I rolled out slow just to see what would come of it he took off and I ended it at the top of 2nd about 3 car lenghts ahead. He was a jerk too wouldn't say anything at the next light, I wonder why. I beat a kid in an old beat up jeep pickup that thought his truck was gods gift to the world, and I also beat my rich kid friend in his X5 almost every time we meet up in our cars. He always wants to race thinking the outcome will be different from the last time.....but it's not. I am going to be at the next street night at our local drag strip just for fun and to get a good base line #. So we shall see how really slow they are.

Quick Reply: Race Results!