280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions on building a 280ZX TURBO engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

questions on building a 280ZX TURBO engine

aiight guys!! I知 planning on building a 280ZXT engine.. I just bought a 83 280ZXT with 200,000 miles for only $100.. the car still runs but I知 planning on rebuilding the engine and swapping out my n/a engine out of my car... I want to get at least 300 hp out of the car but still retain its drivability.. I plan on driving this car for everyday use.. I was thinking of getting new forged pistons for it but I知 a lil worried over the cost.. I know I値l need new injectors cuz the ones on it are really bad.. the turbo still works but I might be looking to upgrade it in the future.. my cousin talked to Rebellos out in the bay area and he said he I can stroke the short block for $2500.. and said I can handle 400hp after he does the work... I just don稚 know if I want to go that rout.. well any of your suggestions is much appreciated...
Old 05-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

thats what i had pretty much in mind... i wasnt looking for outragious HP... i was just going to have the engine rebuilt maybe get some head work done on the car too... i was looking at spending around $1200 for the engine rebuild and change all the hoses and injectors and just drop the engine in as is and down the raod upgrade the turbo to a hybrid and get an intercooler for it.. i was thinking of changing the computer with a 300ZX turbo computer and get it reprogramed.... ive talked to a few people who have had that done... id like to get a new engine management for it but that cost $$.. lol something i dont have much of lately.. and i was so sure how relyable they would be if i were using the car as a dayly driver...
Old 05-07-2003, 04:40 PM

There are plenty of people running 18+psi boost on stock internals so the L28 bottom end is pretty solid. You're gonna blow your engine if you get detonation forged or no forged so good engine management is a where the money should go if you wanted some insurance. IMO you might be pushing the limits of reliablility for a daily driver if you went 3.1L stroker and the price of admission is not worth it unless you have fat pockets, are doing some serious racing, or wanted to stay NA.

300hp is pretty attainable on a l28et without any extremely exotic setup. All the mods you will be making are really so you can safely turn up the boost (make it hove). What you need to do is drive my car around. I mean REALLY DRIVE IT so you get a baseline for what a l28et with stock efi, intercooled at 10psi feels like and go from there.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:49 PM

I was waiting for that remark
Old 05-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

well cost is an issue but if im going to put a turbo engine in my car id want to put a new one in or at least a well rebuilt one... i plan on only doing this job once.. lol id feel a lot better knowing that ive got a new engine in my car... i dont have a problem in paying $1500 for getting the machiening and rebuilding done on my engine... ill be doing all the installation myself and ill try to cut cost on work i can do myself... but right now im trying to get as much info as i can and options.. ive got a pretty good idea on what i want done to my car right now im in the planning stage. looking at what i can do and how much will it all cost me.. everyones input is appreciated and im taking it all into concideration.. im most likly not going to stroke it but i am going to have it rebuilt..
Old 05-12-2003, 09:09 AM
The Evil Twin

Regarding an aftermarket fuel management:

I have heard that the 280zx turbo distributor's control module is basically inside the fuel injection computer and is run by the computer unlike the n/a Datsuns that just have a little "matchbox" on the side of the distributor that controls the spark. If this is true, do you also have to buy an ignition system or is do these fuel management systems also control your ignition?

...or would you run an n/a distributor with an aftermarket computer? Is the advance on a turbo engine different from a non-turbo Z?