280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about my tubo

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 PM

question about my tubo

when i start the car up there is an exhaust leak from the turbo i thought that it could be mabye a blown gasket but i put my hand down by the turbo and reved it up and then it was comming from the turbo just wondering how i could fix this problem it makes a really loud sound leaking sound
Old 03-21-2006, 08:48 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Although it's hard to tell exactly where the leak is from your description, you've probably got a broken bolt on the turbo mount letting exhaust leak by.

Find the exact cause of the leak and fix it. Again, it's most likely a broken bolt.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:54 PM

Exhaust bolts can come loose too. Dont scare him too bad with the broken bolt L-Dub Optimism. It's what keeps us going til we realize the inevitable doom that is owning a 25 year old car
Old 03-21-2006, 09:03 PM
The Good Twin

When the engine is cold, is the best time to start it & get your hand down there to feel where the exhaust leak is coming from. Then you'll know. I also like to use a small mirror & flashlight to see around tight corners & spots deep down in the engine bay... Never know what you'll find!
Old 03-22-2006, 06:47 AM

ticked

ok i started taking off the bolts that are connected to the down pipe and i this someone messed with this car before i bought it because all the other nuts on there are 13mm and this one was 12mm and hard a hell to turn (but was turning) and finnally i get close to the end and the damn bolt on the turbo broke off (not all the way luckily) what should i do? go get a 13mm nut from the hardware store and see if i can use whats left of that bolt only half broke off
Old 03-22-2006, 07:13 AM
The Good Twin

You're talking about the studs that connect the turbo to the downpipe? Ouch! Yeah... whenever you need to loosen exhaust bolts / nuts / studs.... soak it w/ REAL penetrating oil like PB Blaster (not watered "WD40").

If you were having a hard time loosening it just w/ a wrench, you'll never get it by clamping on vice grips, so I wouldn't even try that. Are there any threads left to put on another nut or two?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:49 AM

i did soak it with lube (lots of it haha) yes..... they are the bolts to the down pipe yeah there are some threads left i just hope that i can get the nut started on the threads
Old 03-22-2006, 08:07 AM

Wait so you're talking about the actual bolts that hold the downpipe to the turbo itself? If so then I wouldnt mess with putting a nut on there. Especially if the bolt was already pretty much removed. Just finish getting the rest of the bolts out and then remove the downpipe. Then soak the hell out of that broken bolt with some penetrant and/or heat it up real good. Then double up a set of nuts on it and back it out that way. Then go get another.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 AM

naw i just said screw it i was actually trying to take the turbo off to clean it but it was a pain in the *** so i said screw but there was some threads left on the bolt so i just put a new nut back on and tightend it down pretty good so i dono i have to go to work right now i will put everything back on 0nce i get back and try to pin point the exhaust leak and let you guys know thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 PM

ok the back fireing is taken care of i took the tb off and clean it all up nice that made a big diff in the power but the turbo still has the exhaust leak i didnt have enough time to really get a look at it tonight but i do know exactly where it is comming from i will get pics and show you guys where it is comming from and see what you guys think is wrong
Old 03-22-2006, 05:14 PM

ok here is the picture i dunno if this helps any but i know that is exactly the hole where it is comming from
Attached Thumbnails question about my tubo-nissanturbo4.jpg  
Old 03-22-2006, 05:35 PM
The Good Twin

Talked w/ Brady... Top 2 bolts on the wastegate housing are gone.... now we know whas up!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:34 AM

hey yea we fixed that one now there is another leak commin from somewhere else closer to the manifold i didnt really wanna sit outside and try to find and pin point where it is commin from because it is colder than hell out