280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pullin' A Fast One?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:49 PM

Pullin' A Fast One?

We have a MOPAC auto parts store here In Vancouver, much like Auto zone I guess. They quoted me $360 CDN (plus 15% tax) for the Centreforce clutch as well as 4-5 hrs of laboyur to do the job (close to $350) reason being they gotta machine the flywheel etc.

The Datsun factory manual lists some alternatives to machining and doesn't promote it as the only way to clean up the flywheel prior to clutch replacement. However the guy at MOPAC told me that Centreforce will void the warranty for the unit unless they see some documentation that proves a flywheel machining or replacement was done. again

Anyone knows if there is any truth to this? I cant contact Centreforce till later and the curiosity is making me think about killing the cat.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:32 AM

machining the flywheel should not take 4-5 hours...a good machine shop will have that thing done in half hour but might charge you an hour minimum to do it, depends how their rates go...i have no idea on the warranty on it tho maybe wait for input from sombody who bought it ...when i buy the clutch im going with aftermarket flywheel too...and dont kill the cat, i love cats! :P

oh also...if you wanna save do the job yourself it isnt hard at all...ive done it ghetto style with barely any tools...i backed the car up onto ramps...jacked up the front as far as i could and droped it on stands...then just unbolted the tranny...put a jack under and had a friend help me balance it till i got it out...
Old 06-05-2005, 02:36 AM

Scully, Thanks for the input.

Actually I do intend on doing it all myself. I know where to get the flywheel machined if neccessary. and I do realize that working the flywheel wouldn't take them 4-5 hrs, unless they were making one from a flat piece of metal Just wanted to know what it would cost if performed by their "professionals".

In the process of doing research on it. I have three different manuals to refer from including the 1980 280ZX Datsun/Nissan Factory repair manual.

Incidentaly if you or anyone else on this site, need any info on related Z model repair that you feel that Haynes or Chilton are not providing enough material on,.... lemme know and I will do the look up for you within the Factory manual. I have found it to be much more detailed then the other manuals. The Haynes manual is good though cause sometimes all you need is a little direction rather then the whole shabang.

still looking for word on the warranty coverage though.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:45 AM

Flywheel

if your flywheel is in need of being machined, i'd replace it. with a hyd clutch you don't have the adjustment like you do with mech linkage.
my service tech does'nt recomend it (ase master certified ). just my $.02.
have a good day, bj
Old 06-05-2005, 02:47 PM

Yeah, resurfacing the flywheel with a hydraulic setup should entail no more than cleaning it up with some sandpaper. If you start removing too much material with a lathe, you can't adjust for lost material. You can resurface a minimal amount of times before you gotta replace it. As long as there's no gouges in it (ran your disc to the rivets), just give it a once over with some sand paper and you're good.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:55 PM

Just ask to see the warranty from the clutch before you take it home, it should be packaged with the clutch kit. If anything would get voided(is that a word), it would only be the disc itself, but it's still not likely that you would need to provide any documentation. Just a proof of purchase. If the flywheel is in bad shape and causes premature wear, they'll probably just attribute it to abuse or neglect, and that could possibly void your warranty. Almost any performance clutch will void it's warranty just from performance driving(if they can prove it).
Old 06-06-2005, 02:19 AM

thanks much to all who replied for their help.