280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok - you guys seem to know what's up...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 07:44 PM

Ok - you guys seem to know what's up...

Hi - posted a hello before - then noticed that you guys really respond (unlike other sites) to queries, so here's mine...
81 turbo - wouldn't start, so replaced the AFM - then started fine, but wouldn't start after it had run even a minute, unless it was cranked about 20 seconds - then it would sputter a bit, then with a touch of the gas pedal, would start.
Then, the next day, started her cold, ran her 25 miles out of town (talk about misplaced confidence!!!) - she cut out at 50 mph, won't start at all - won't even sputter.
The mechanic at the dealership - who's a 280 nut - er, aficionado I should say - said it might be the temp sensor, and to check the computer connections and relays for any corrosion, which I'll do tomorrow. Does anyone here have any other suggestions to offer?
And please, type slowly <g> I can do the work if it's explained reasonably simply...

Wally

p.s. you Texans upset about 60 degree weather...come on up here to Canada in mid January if you want to see cold - just don't plan on bringing your Z - we put ours to bed from December to April...
Old 09-27-2004, 08:44 PM

It's very true that it could be corrosion in the connectors. WD-40 works wonders in this area. Take all the connectors on all the sensors you can find loose and spray and clean them as much as possible. It is also possible that you may have a vacuum leak somewhere. I have an aftermarket intercooler and one of the hose connectors was leaking and made it do all kinds of funny things.

As far as temp sensors go, the only one the '81 turbo relies on is the cylinder head temp sensor near the rear of the head. One of the ones on the thermostat is for the injector fan and the other is for the water temp gauge.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:32 PM

Thanks, I'll check that one also. Of course, went to get the car today where it broke down - after renting a dolly to bring it home and getting a friend to come out with his truck, it started perfectly and ran the 25 miles home without a problem., But after it was warm, starts only after some cranking. Maddening.