280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob with lots of noob questions:

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 AM

noob with lots of noob questions:

Hey guys, so my friend just found a 75 280z 2+2 yesterday for 800$. He got it, but I think i'm more excited to get it running than he is, so i'm asking questions right off the bat (btw, I spent all day searching the forums yesterday for answers, but couldn't find much.)

1. Does it use direct injection?

2. is there a way to see of the odometer has turned over from 99999 back to 1, because supposedly it only has 35000 miles.

3. We stole another battery out of a nearby z that we knew was good (the guy was selling 3 other 280's), put it in, and the interior got no power. Are there any main fuses that get blown on these cars, or any other basic reason why the car is getting no accessory power?

4. I honestly searched for a good long while through the gallery, google, and the forums for a clear picture of just the stock motor, but couldn't find much. can someone please post me a picture of this motor, so I can put it in paint and point out some parts that were missing from the motor.

I'm sure I sound like a complete noob, so bear with me. I'm very excited to get this car goin. Thanks so much for the help
Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Howitz
Hey guys, so my friend just found a 75 280z 2+2 yesterday for 800$. He got it, but I think i'm more excited to get it running than he is, so i'm asking questions right off the bat (btw, I spent all day searching the forums yesterday for answers, but couldn't find much.)

1. Does it use direct injection?

2. is there a way to see of the odometer has turned over from 99999 back to 1, because supposedly it only has 35000 miles.

3. We stole another battery out of a nearby z that we knew was good (the guy was selling 3 other 280's), put it in, and the interior got no power. Are there any main fuses that get blown on these cars, or any other basic reason why the car is getting no accessory power?

4. I honestly searched for a good long while through the gallery, google, and the forums for a clear picture of just the stock motor, but couldn't find much. can someone please post me a picture of this motor, so I can put it in paint and point out some parts that were missing from the motor.

I'm sure I sound like a complete noob, so bear with me. I'm very excited to get this car goin. Thanks so much for the help
1. It's a standard EFI system
2. No. Assume it has 135k, maybe even 235k.
3. Ahh the dreaded interior light issue. That would be caused by a melted ground under the dash. It is beyond common. This will cause the tail lights and head lights not too work either, but your high beams, brake lights, and reverse lights should all work.
4. Here is a pic of my old 78 280z engine: Name:  IMG_0448.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  187.2 KB
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 AM

Awesome, thanks so much. Though I think I should have been more clear. The battery is good, but nothing electronic on the car is getting power. Could it still be that same ground?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:31 AM

Awesome, thanks so much. Though I think I should have been more clear. The battery is good, but nothing electronic on the car is getting power. Could it still be that same ground?
Hmmm maybe not. The dome light or dash warning lights don't work (e-brake, high-beam indicator light, blinker lights...etc) either? Does the tach and speedo work?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Nope, not a single thing comes on. No exterior lights, interior lights, stereo, tach, no chiming when the doors open, nothing.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:00 AM

And now with a useful motor picture..
Name:  motor.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  105.1 KB
So the bottom two pieces were missing when we bought the car. We snagged those parts out of a nearby 77 280z, but i'm not sure if the parts are interchangeable between years, or even what they are. About the top item circled: on the 4 z's the guy was selling, some had one little fuse, some had 2 little fuses (I assume they're fuses). and some had none. I"m not sure what they are, or if maybe thats why the car is getting no power whatsoever from the battery.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 AM

And now with a useful motor picture..

So the bottom two pieces were missing when we bought the car. We snagged those parts out of a nearby 77 280z, but i'm not sure if the parts are interchangeable between years, or even what they are. About the top item circled: on the 4 z's the guy was selling, some had one little fuse, some had 2 little fuses (I assume they're fuses). and some had none. I"m not sure what they are, or if maybe thats why the car is getting no power whatsoever from the battery.
Ok the left picture is an aftermarket MSD ignition coil. An ignition coil is needed or the car will never start. The right picture is the engine bay inspection light, that isn't super important and shouldn't be effecting anything.

Oh and I noticed you circled the fusible link pods at the top too. You should have 2 of those of those (my second one is hanging in the picture you can still see it though). You have found your problem possibly.

The left pod will hold 2 fusible links:
(Top) BLACK- Alternator & Ignition relay
(Bottom) RED- Ignition switch

Right pod:
(Top) RED- Headlight switch
(Bottom) RED- Ignition & EFI relay

It should look like this:

Last edited by Bates; 11-30-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 AM

ahhhh. Well are the fuses connecting the terminals any particular gauge of wire or anything special? Hopefully today i'll make it over to the car and take some pictures of the fuses. One was burned/corroded to almost nothing, so I just snagged a wire off another z and put it on, but still to no avail.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 AM

ahhhh. Well are the fuses connecting the terminals any particular gauge of wire or anything special? Hopefully today i'll make it over to the car and take some pictures of the fuses. One was burned/corroded to almost nothing, so I just snagged a wire off another z and put it on, but still to no avail.
Yes:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/SEIC04E
Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Oh wow, thank you! I'll keep my fingers crossed and order these as an early christmas present for him
Old 11-30-2011, 11:42 AM

Oh wow, thank you! I'll keep my fingers crossed and order these as an early christmas present for him
I just noticed yours is a 75, while my old one was a 78. They are much different. Read this for the proper fuses:

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...nks/index.html
Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Hmmm. Well i'm still a little confused then. It tells me what numbers 1 and 2 are, but it doesnt say what fuses go where. or maybe i'm just really bad at reading diagrams.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:53 AM

Hmmm. Well i'm still a little confused then. It tells me what numbers 1 and 2 are, but it doesnt say what fuses go where. or maybe i'm just really bad at reading diagrams.
Your other 2 will both be red fuses.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Oh ok, awesome. I can handle that. Thank you so much.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 AM

I would suggest posting future posts in the 280z section, not 280zx, you might get more responses
Old 12-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Oops, i'm sorry. I knew there was a difference, I just didn't read close enough, sorry.