280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N/A to turbo kits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:22 PM

Question N/A to turbo kits?

hey guys im just wondering if there are any kits available to use if you want to turbo an '82 L28e and if so what are the numbers they'll come up with? thanks

Steven
Old 06-06-2006, 06:25 PM

no such kit exists. But you can either source an L28ET or go through the lengthy process of peicing together the needed parts to convert you engine to turbo. Ebay usually has plenty of turbo parts available for the L28 turbo conversion like the turbo manifold and what not.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
no such kit exists. But you can either source an L28ET or go through the lengthy process of peicing together the needed parts to convert you engine to turbo. Ebay usually has plenty of turbo parts available for the L28 turbo conversion like the turbo manifold and what not.
just dont bid on the same parts that im bidding on ill kill you!

no im kidding but yeah tr and find a turbo parts car and yank the endine..there was one here in saskatoon for sale (i didnt buy it) 600 bucks it sat in the back yard for 2 years tho...
Old 06-06-2006, 06:39 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
Whats the turbo kits in msa mag for then? I was under the impresion since they were a performance feature, that it ment turbo the unturbo car. it has the oil cooler, lines, and manifolds.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by EatmyDust
Whats the turbo kits in msa mag for then? I was under the impresion since they were a performance feature, that it ment turbo the unturbo car. it has the oil cooler, lines, and manifolds.
where did you see that...all i see if for 350's and 300's
Old 06-06-2006, 06:42 PM

skully I have been meaning to tell you for a time now that I love that avetar. I got side tracked watching the little niples going up and down. Isn't it from that ball game or somthing?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 PM

You are prolly right I havn't looked in a few.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:57 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Steven280ZX
hey guys im just wondering if there are any kits available to use if you want to turbo an '82 L28e and if so what are the numbers they'll come up with? thanks

Steven
Here's my advice... read these previous threads about "adding a turbo to an L28"

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/280zx-n-turbo-18360/

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/turbo-advice-please-16345/

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-performance-technical-227/85-n-turbo-18421/

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/l28e-t-18305/

ok... that should do for now
Old 06-09-2006, 11:38 AM

thanks for all the feedback guys but sourcing an L28ET wont be for me. first things first i have to rebuilt this beast becuase its been abandoned outside for 10+ years!(my dad took great care of his Z) so im trying to see if its easier to put in a turbo and rebuild all at once or just one thing at a time. and if you have any ideas on what parts are probably shot hey im open to that to.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:55 AM

are you taking it to a machine shop for a rebuild or are you doing it?

I am currently doing same stuff you are but i had my bottom end rebuilt with dished pistons and ARP studs in rods and mains. Just waiting for a head and I can put this whole mess together. But I also coulnt find a turbo engine here so I went the long route of converting the NA to a turbo...like i said...waiting on that head!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:56 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Steven280ZX
so im trying to see if its easier to put in a turbo and rebuild all at once or just one thing at a time. and if you have any ideas on what parts are probably shot hey im open to that to.

Honestly, really, actually, and literally speaking... it will be easier to source an L28ET than sourcing the turbo distributor, ecu, efi wiring harness, injectors, exhaust manifold, turbocharger, oil pan, oil feedline, J-pipe, fuel pump, etc etc etc... Get my point? You'll end up needing at least half the parts from an L28ET to do the job, and prolly take months to hunt them all down, not to mention the cost of each separate part & cost of shipping. But what do I know anyway?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Honestly, really, actually, and literally speaking... it will be easier to source an L28ET than sourcing the turbo distributor, ecu, efi wiring harness, injectors, exhaust manifold, turbocharger, oil pan, oil feedline, J-pipe, fuel pump, etc etc etc... Get my point? You'll end up needing at least half the parts from an L28ET to do the job, and prolly take months to hunt them all down, not to mention the cost of each separate part & cost of shipping. But what do I know anyway?

he is right...I would have been done long time ago and WAY WAY less money if I just bought a turbo engine and put it in...but I dont regret going my way...I learned alot (still am) I wasted money on some parts that I didnt need (my fault lack of preparation) but I dont regret it, tought me not to do it again.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Skully
but I dont regret going my way...I learned alot (still am)
Good point! When ya gotta piece it together... ya learn lots of things ya prolly wouldn't have, if it was all together.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:27 PM

well im new at this and havnt done much automotive stuff before but im hoping i can do everything myself. I've done my research and everyone says its an easy engine to build so i thought i'd give it a shot and see if i could fix it myself. like skully i cant find an engine here either and well i'd learn more doing it this way. but turboing it, im wondering if i should wait untill i've at least already taken the engine apart and know what im dealing with or just to go right ahead and do it at the same time as the rebuild.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:49 PM

TAKE IT APART FIRST.
Measure everything! this way you will know what you need and what you need to do if its taken to a machine shop...measure the head to see if its straight and if its been resurfaced (also what head is it now??) because my mistake was i didnt measure...but my head was shaved .080" by the PO AND its a n42 head so my compression would be way the hell over 9.5:1 WITH a 2mm gasket!! Im planning on selling this head if sombody wants one for a high compression engine, I already got a p79 head on the way that hasnt been shaved and its ready to bolt in (clean it up a lil maybe thats about it). Measure the cylinder bores, measure the crank journals, even check the block deck with a straight edge.

BUT DEFENETLY check everything and see what you need BEFORE you start buying parts and the rest.!!! Do you have any measuring instruments? are you familiar with micrometars, dial bore gauges, straight edges etc...

(yes yes i was stupid and in a hurry to get the car running which is a bad mistake because it just ends up costing you more and wasting more time, live and learn tho right...YARGH!)

Last edited by Skully; 06-09-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:30 PM

Yea I think these guys are right sourcing the turbo engine is a good plan. You may want to wait till you know all of what you want to do, and save your money up. if you do it piece by piece you are going to spend too much money, and it will take too long. Start a car fund.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:44 PM

It should also be noted that Skully is in NO WAY doing a stock turbo conversion. From what I can tell, pretty much the only turbo part carried over from the stock L28ET is the exhaust manifold (correct me if I'm wrong Skully). So if you plan to go that route then all's you really need to source are the exhaust manifold. Everything else can be adapted or custom made. Of course what turbo to go with is up to the end user. So a custom turbo conversion really isn't all that big of a deal. It's when you try turning an L28E into a stock L28ET that things start getting tedious. Skully is also taking the not so tedious route of MSnS instead of trying to source all the turbo electronic gadgetry. Skully is doing the conversion the best way I can think of.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:46 PM

yeah there are few other things from a turbo, i gotta internal cas dizzy from '83, I will still get oil adapter and oil cooler...other then that..everything else is aftermarket products... I WAS going to do the stock conversion...but then realised...finding stock parts is way harder then buying todays technology and paying 50 bucks more if you have to. Plus you get everything fresh, more durable, and opens up the door for future upgrades.

Also if you have any questions if you get stuck with something feel free to ask...and If you need some hands on help, Manitoba is only next door and I havent been yet! I dont ask for anything at all.

Last edited by Skully; 06-09-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:51 PM

cool, cool... and even those parts aren't neccessary. I mean, MSnS can be made to work with the NA dizzy. And the oil adapters etc... can be had from a Summit catalog. So the point is that the conversion doesn't have to be complicated.

Unless of course you have people who like to screw you over on parts. Right skully
Old 06-09-2006, 03:55 PM

not to jack the thread (hell you might even use this information)
do you know the PN for the oild adapter from summit?? didnt know there was one that fit our engines thats why i been looking for a stock turbo one..

Unless of course you have people who like to screw you over on parts. Right skully
Old 06-09-2006, 04:02 PM

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Thats the part they have listed as applicable for the 280zx. I can't be positive as I've never measured the thread size on the oil filter.

And it's not thread jacking since it has to do with the turbo swap
Old 06-09-2006, 04:15 PM

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Thats the part they have listed as applicable for the 280zx. I can't be positive as I've never measured the thread size on the oil filter.

And it's not thread jacking since it has to do with the turbo swap
wait a tick....i think thats only relocation adapter....i dont see the oil filter bung...

THIS is what im talking about..argh only to 1979? damn it!
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=1#Application

Last edited by Skully; 06-09-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:36 PM

Either one will work. The one you linked keeps the oil filter in the stock location. The one I linked will relocate the oil filter (but would then require a remote filter mounting block). I got premature with the link and didn't sort through all the parts. I'm on dial up so it took me long enough to get that far
Old 06-09-2006, 05:31 PM

well i wont be doing a stock turbo conversion its gunna be impossible to source all the parts so i'll be doing it close to the way skullys doing his. by the way skully i do believe its an n47 head. and if you guys could let me know what parts you'd recomend using for this that would be wicked.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 PM

actualy i just measured the oil filter fitting and it is 3/4-16 so this would work!

Quick Reply: N/A to turbo kits?