300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

85 N/A to turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 02:54 PM

85 N/A to turbo

Alright I was going to get the 86 turbo but I don't feel like dealing with and rebuilding the whole motor! So what my plan is now is to take the 85 n/a 2 seater and make it a turbo.

I want to keep the stock compression. I might lower it a tad with a thicker head gasket but not much. I was considering going stand alone but I want to see how the turbo runs on the car without it first (unless I need to change the entire wiring harness along with the ecu)

Ok question then:

Are the injectors any bigger on the turbo engine and are they just reg drop in injectors?

Is 3" intake piping to much?

Does the oil pan/pickup need to be altered at all?

Is the turbo on the stock ones a garret t3. If not what is it?

Any help with the conversion would be great guys sorry if some of the questions sound stupid or what not there just isn't much information that I can find on the doing the conversion over.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:45 PM
NisTuner

Here you go, check out this site. This guy did the N/A T conversion on his 2+2.
http://www.redz31.com/

and then here's the link to his whole writeup:
http://www.redz31.com/pages/turbo.html
Old 05-14-2006, 08:59 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by machsound
Alright I was going to get the 86 turbo but I don't feel like dealing with and rebuilding the whole motor! So what my plan is now is to take the 85 n/a 2 seater and make it a turbo.

I want to keep the stock compression. I might lower it a tad with a thicker head gasket but not much. I was considering going stand alone but I want to see how the turbo runs on the car without it first (unless I need to change the entire wiring harness along with the ecu)

Ok question then:

Are the injectors any bigger on the turbo engine and are they just reg drop in injectors?

Is 3" intake piping to much?

Does the oil pan/pickup need to be altered at all?

Is the turbo on the stock ones a garret t3. If not what is it?

Any help with the conversion would be great guys sorry if some of the questions sound stupid or what not there just isn't much information that I can find on the doing the conversion over.
Since you are asking the question, I suggest doing A LOT more research before doing anything. It's a personal pet peeve of mine when people think they can just "slap on a turbo & go" because they are too lazy to do it right. There are differences between the turbo & n/a setups for a reason. Nissan wasn't dumb when they built the VG30ET.

If you try to build a turbo motor from your n/a... you will end up swapping half the turbo motor's parts (if not more) onto your engine. So, while you spend months looking for odd & end parts, you could be looking for a complete engine.

What makes even less sense is:

Originally Posted by machsound
So you'll take apart the n/a engine... but you won't take apart the turbo engine???

All I ask, is to DO IT RIGHT. We don't need more teenage ricers destroying Z cars. Not to deter you from our site (because ZDriver IS THE BEST) but www.hybridz.org has about 8.2 trillion write ups on engine swaps & how to do it right. We're here to help, but why write a book for you, when it's already laid out for you?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:31 PM

Alright I just read pretty much everything on his entire website..... Ummm he has alot of work done to that and I didn't think that you had to change everything so much in there thats almost 600 bucks worth of parts and prob 10-15 hours of work on that!!!!

Thank you guys for the info the 86 turbo 300zx i was looking at was only 600 bucks and i beleve the ecu is bad in or I hope! I'm not 50% sure on it could be alot of things wrong with it and I didn't want to deal with it but I'm starting to think that it would be easyer to just go with that and try to fix what needs fixed! That is a whole hella lot of work to do. Sorry for asking i thought it might be as easy as putting one an e30 bmw.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
All I ask, is to DO IT RIGHT. We don't need more teenage ricers destroying Z cars.
I take offense to that. I am no ricer no do i ever wish to be i have owned nothing more than a 90 with most of my cars being mid 80's sport or play cars!