280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my MAF going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 AM

my MAF going bad?

okay i don't know if my maf is going bad or what but in the mornings on cold start up my 1983 280zx runs like crap and dies, on initial start up it will idle really low and i have to gas it to keep it running. it take multiple start ups to start and i have to start driving for it to stop dying. after the car is up to operating temps no problems.

please give any input you guys might have on what the problem is. the car is a blast to drive, just annoying when im leaving the parking garage and the car dies and i have to start it and start rolling and reving to keep it going until the car comes up to temp.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 AM
The Good Twin

Common cold start valve and/or air regulator issue. Searching is your friend.

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...highlight=COLD

The list goes on and on. PS... the 280zx uses an AFM (Air Flow Meter, not MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor)).
Old 11-20-2007, 10:47 AM

great thanks i will check my haynes on it
Old 11-20-2007, 04:01 PM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

Hey tell me what you come up with, i have the exact same problem and i even cleaned my MAF and it wasn't that dirty to begin with
Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by thetremendousti
Hey tell me what you come up with, i have the exact same problem and i even cleaned my MAF and it wasn't that dirty to begin with
nismopick is right i believe. everyone i talked to told me it was that or the cylinder temp sensor.

hey nismopick in the haynes it says to release the pressure of the fuel system and reference chapter one. i can't find the chapter 1 section that says that. how do i release the pressure? also the cold start valve is pretty expensive is there a way to check to see if mine is still good?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by johnwoo
how do i release the pressure?
yank the fuel pump relay while the car is running, and then try to start the car a few times once it dies.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:01 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ That, or since the fuel pump relay is a pain to get to, disconnect the fuel pump plug under the hatch mat.

As for testing the cold start valve, it can be a pain, but the easiest way I've found, is to remove it, turn it upside down & put it back on the fuel line. Pressurize the fuel lines, and tap the cold start electrical poles w/ some wires connected to a 9v battery (or cordless drill battery). If you see a spray... well, you know.

*A bad cold start valve usually makes it hard to start the car.

*A bad air regulator will cause the car to run rough when cold. I suggest checking this before the cold start valve.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
*A bad air regulator will cause the car to run rough when cold. I suggest checking this before the cold start valve.
is there a way to check the air regulator?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:50 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by johnwoo
is there a way to check the air regulator?
Remove it & look through the port. There are two pieces of metal that open & close to regulate air flow. See Haynes manual page 107.

Diagram:

Old 11-22-2007, 04:45 PM

thanks will do see if i can figure it out