280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno figures way down. what the hell?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 AM

dyno figures way down. what the hell?!?

Is this right? 112.9RWHP! that just seems way down for what i was expecting. especially reading some other threads about 120rwhp being average. i've included the dyno printout too and the afr looks like the rocky mountains. It's a n/a with extractors and 2' exhaust. It's also got the cai intake and i just fixed up my air sensor the other week as per the write up and i was running it on 98RON (aus standard) i'm not sure what that calculates back to us standards.
Attached Thumbnails dyno figures way down. what the hell?!?-dynodatto.jpg  
Old 11-18-2007, 08:42 AM

The ZX already had a CAI stock, so I wouldn't expect much extra hp from adding an aftermarket one. These things were only rated somewhere around 135-145hp SAE net stock at the flywheel, so depending on what transmission you have, and condition of the rest of the drivetrain etc, your hp numbers could be right in the normal range for a stock ZX. Also unless you have raised your compression, or advanced your timing a lot, 98 octane might be costing you a little power. High octane only helps if you need it to prevent pre-ignition (pinging) due to compression or timing. It might be interesting to see what the dyno numbers do if you were running 87octane just for a compairison. Not familier with the term "extractors" that you used, is that the same as an exhaust header? I wonder if there is a slight mismatch between your intake capabilities, and the exhaust causing the af to jump around so much, or possibly your fuel pressure regulator acting funny for some reason. idunno, I'm no expert when it comes to these ZX's fuel injection systems, but to me it looks like your pressure could be fluctuating a bit. Did you get a graph showing your torque?

Last edited by Spraguepsycho1; 11-18-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

curious to know if the engine has been rebuilt or tune up. whats your compression # etc etc.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Big Poppa

there are so many variables. myself id say that 2" exhaust is far too small. i think thats smaller than stock? if you have really good gas, bump your timing to 12 deg initial. and check your general tune up items. and make sure you have the tires max allowable air in the tires.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Just add turbo LOL... if it has a lot miles on it like 200k, you are going to lose HP... new motor = more HP, used = less HP do to things like old wires, old plugs, old cap/rotor, winter fuel(???) less compression, durity MAF... so on... so on... for a car that is over 25 years, it sounds like it's doing good...
Old 11-18-2007, 07:34 PM

How fresh are your plugs, wires, and dizzy cap?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:21 PM

i completely forgot about the fuel thing. i remember now i made the same mistake when we were tuning my v8. i usually run on 91ron which is the lowest here in aus. i think that would be equivelant to your 87. if so is that the reccommended? i only ever run that so there is no point me bumping up timing. to my knowledge the motor has not been rebuilt and the milage on it is just over 100k miles but that what the old owner said as i have the 5 figure speedo so at worst it could be 162. it is manual. plugs are less then 5k old leeds are aftermarket 8mm items but no idea on age and no idea on dizzy cap. i dont know compression numbers either but i'm going in this weekend to have the front struts changed over so i could find it out then.
cheers for the ongoing help
Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM

Use MSD wires if you can get them. They are by far the best high tension leads available.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 PM

yeah msd is easily obtainable over here. i've got a mega blaster 3 coil in mine atm. i'l give them a look to see if they stock the leads for them otherwise there is a local company that does 10mm leads and they have a very good reputation nation wide.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:21 PM

Do you have smog in Australia??? If not, just add turbo... you could add over 100 HP ... make a fast car faster...
Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by turboZ87.300
If not, just add turbo... you could add over 100 HP ... make a fast car faster...
Just add a turbo... just add a turbo... hum... How do you "just add a turbo" ???

Jus' trow one a dem turbo'ds in tha engine bay! I hurd they spinz mega horsepowerz!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:15 PM

Or junk yard... It's not all that hard if the car or the same kind of car had turbo...
Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Yes, everywhere else in the "western" world, exhaust headers are called "extractors" since they "extract" the exhaust from the motor.

Check your exhaust before dropping money on a new one and verify that it really is 2". Most likely it's 2.25". If it is a "crush" bent exhaust and not "mandrel" bent, you can put a new 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust on your wish list. I wouldn't go bigger than 2.5" on an NA motor, it'll move your torque band too high in the rpms. With a turbo motor, the bigger, the better.

Yes, your 91 octane is approximately the same as our 87 octane and your 98 octane is approximately the same as our 93 octane. Unfortunately, in California, normally we only get 91 octane at the pump although there are a few places where you can get 100 octane while 108 unleaded and 116 leaded is generally available at the race track.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by turboZ87.300
Or junk yard... It's not all that hard if the car or the same kind of car had turbo...
Injectors, ecu, wiring, oil line & return, oil pan, j-pipe, couplers, exhaust manifold, down pipe, just to name a few parts NEEDED along with adding "just a turbo."
Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Only 91 octane here in Arizona. Been that way for quite a few years. And is barely enough to run in my '75 Firebird. Because of her high compression '69 motor.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by vrocious
Is this right? 112.9RWHP! that just seems way down for what i was expecting. especially reading some other threads about 120rwhp being average. i've included the dyno printout too and the afr looks like the rocky mountains. It's a n/a with extractors and 2' exhaust. It's also got the cai intake and i just fixed up my air sensor the other week as per the write up and i was running it on 98RON (aus standard) i'm not sure what that calculates back to us standards.
That may seem a little low, but not by too much. The best thing you can do is verify the car is running in tip top shape. New plug wires and spark plugs alone can make a car run 20% cleaner on emissions. That means it's getting efficient and nearly complete fuel burn which usually equates to more power.

Also, these are torque motors. Do you have a graph with your torque curve?

Most Honda's can make good HP, but not very good torque and if they do make any (ie. S2000) it's usually so high in the rpm range that you have to drive them nearly at red line to make them do what you want. My Civic doesn't "wake up" until about 6000 rpm and the torque curve shows it. My 240Z on the other hand makes a nice flat torque curve that starts around 2500 rpm. It's much more usable around town and even with mods, will smoke most newer Civics from stop light to stop light.

Torque is your friend.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Injectors, ecu, wiring, oil line & return, oil pan, j-pipe, couplers,exhaust manifold, down pipe, just to name a few parts NEEDED along with adding "just a turbo."
Okay... for some this could be hard... but it is all bolt on for this car... I like to take cars and do things that's not stock... like the VG30et in my 71 Datsun 510... I have (going to) make eng. & tranny mounts, exhaust manifold, exhaust, and so on... when it's done, it will be one fast toy... and after the 510 is done... I'll start on my 1958 VW Dune Buggy with the 2.0 bus motor / tranny and yes...... it will have turbo... I just have the love for custom cars and love to use turbo for the extra HP
Old 11-21-2007, 12:10 AM
NisTuner

He's just saying that you need a little more than just the turbo itself, that it's not quite as simple as just getting the turbo off of a turbo motor.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:44 AM

i would love to just bolt ona turbo but l28et's are rare as rocking horse **** over here and next best bet is the turbo gear off the l20et skylines but they arnt exactly in high numbers either. i ordered a new set of 10mm leads and a new dizzy cap, plugs not bothering as the iridiums are only 5tho k's old. i really want to get the exhaust done too as i'm sick of the truck note from it. wouldnt go any higher then 2.5' but i want to getr a decent muffler for it. i saw an awesome one from magnaflow (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=767) but it only has a 2.25 inlet. specially considering there is a 2nd hand one cheap on american ebay. i know they are a torquey car, i've got that dual throttle body crap thing too which i dunno if that is supposed to add to the car or what. would prefer to get the single turbo but its too much of a screw around to get a turbo one and adaptor from the states. didn't get a torque printout with it just power and emissions. i'd love to be able to just turn the screw on the afr a bit to set it to the magic number haha. better yet find an l28et crate motor and just transfer motors and ecu's etc. but thats only happening if i get one shipped from over there
Old 11-21-2007, 08:30 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

i've got that dual throttle body crap
???? Uh, do you mean air flow meter and throttle body?

Pictures please!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 PM

i saw an awesome one from magnaflow (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=767) but it only has a 2.25 inlet. specially considering there is a 2nd hand one cheap on american ebay.
That's not a muffler LOL... that's an BIG open pipe...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:13 AM

can't get pics right now but it's the dual stage sytem that has a 38mm primary throttle body and a 42mm seccondary that opens at around 65-75%
Possibly the stupidest thing i've ever seen as there is so much wasted space inside there that could have air flowing through
Old 11-22-2007, 09:27 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

I'm sorry, I've never seen or heard of this configuration, but I don't have very much experience with non-US versions of the 280ZX. Pictures would be great if you get a chance.

Thanks,
LWW
Old 11-22-2007, 06:35 PM

in for pics as well
Old 11-22-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by lww
???? Uh, do you mean air flow meter and throttle body?

Pictures please!
I think he has 1 throttle body with 2 butterflies inside... like the mid 80s VW used... a small one for freeway (or cruise) and a big 1 (about 4 Xs bigger) for that fast take off...

Quick Reply: dyno figures way down. what the hell?!?