280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '79 woes (getting better

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 PM

Fuel Filter

From what I recall in your posts, you had a lot of crap in your tank, changed the filter and ran it with a dirty tank, then cleaned the tank, maybe not perfectly, and I didn't notice if you ever replaced the filter, because it would have been trashed by then. Drop the tank and make sure its clean, have it fixed or replaced if its a mess. Then replace your filter (maybe clean your injectors too). That might be all you need. I know you have been frustrated, but these cars have a lot of history, and getting them back in top running order can be a labor of love or hate if things go wrong all the time, like you have been experiencing. There's no doubt you are on a steep learning curve, but you now have a lot better idea what makes these cars tick now than you ever had before. Don't give up on her, with a little more love you will have a great ride. Very few things that are worth while or rewarding are very easy. Keep your chin up

Last edited by PredatorZ; 03-17-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 PM

Hey thanks. I really appreciated that. I was wondering if my pump is plugged up. I did put a new filter in recently and that's what I checked today but it was still good but I still changed it out.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:13 PM

SUCCESS!!!!! Well hopefully.....
I think I figured out the problem. I've been working on it so long I forgot I had tweaked the MAF some because I read that they can go out of tune. Weeeelllll.....I never reset it back. I feel so stupid now. I got it close to what it was gotta tweak it some more tomorrow. I had the cops called on me because its so loud. Stupid neighbor I've been dealing with on other bull crap has it out for me.... but what ever. So I gotta check the link again(if i can find it) on tuning the maf and setting back to normal(hopefully)

Thanks again. I am sure you will hear from me again....I hope not to soon though
Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 AM

Quick question for clarification. My 79 is a federal car so that means I don't need a cat converter correct? According to the FSM it looks like it has a pre-muffler instead. Thats not the same thing as a converter is it? I have 2 muffler shops in town saying I have to have a converter on it. Oh also I can't find a O2 sensor and I don't see anything in the FSM about one so does that mean I don't need one?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Time to break out some jams. !!! My first z did stupid crap like yours. Fill her up with premium and fuel injector cleaner. Find a close interstate and treat her like a dirty *****. Black blue white gray poured out of mine for 300 miles then she was a daily driver.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Big Poppa

79 didnt have a cat unless it was a california car. it wont have an o2 sensor either. your local laws and emissions will dictate if you need a cat. i run a test pipe in mine and dump a cat in for the testing. it never wears out that way too. in 2014 our testing is getting thrown away cause its not worth it anymore cause all the old cars are gone to the point it doesnt matter.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by SHADY280
79 didnt have a cat unless it was a california car. it wont have an o2 sensor either. your local laws and emissions will dictate if you need a cat. i run a test pipe in mine and dump a cat in for the testing. it never wears out that way too. in 2014 our testing is getting thrown away cause its not worth it anymore cause all the old cars are gone to the point it doesnt matter.
Actually they started putting cats in '75. I know I learned the hard way with my Firebird, when they failed me the last time. And that is for non California cars.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 PM

You're right SHADY I don't have either. So here is the question. I need to figure out a way to check my air/fuel ratio because I know it's off. Is there a way of doing this with out having a O2? I know I could put a bung in my exhaust for a O2 and then have to wire it up and then get the gauge but I really don't want to go though all that.

Oh and I finally figured out what was up with my car. The previous owner swapped the dist. out so when I had to I put the bolt for the right side of the bracket in the same spot he did. For ***** and giggles the other day I pulled it out and set the screw to the other side of the bracket, centered the left side up, and set initial timing to 10. Started it up and it idled and reved under no load perfectly. I got in the car drove slowly off and it was running good and has all week. last night i replaced the belts because the alt belt was to long and it wouldn't get fully tight and today she's running a little rough. Back to popping some and idles a bit rough and I can smell gas under acceleration (that's usually when it pops). I'm thinking I need to adjust timing again with having correct tension on the belts.

If anyone can get me some pics of their maf i would greatly appreciate it. i need to figure out where the sweeper arm should be with the car off. I need to rebase it. also I need to figure out (if it can be explained) how tight that spring/gear should be. PO messed with it and didn't mark factory settings.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 PM

Ok so just redid the timing. Initial I set a 8° and put distributor dead center(left adjustment side), right side is all the way in the "up" spot. I disconnected the vac advance hose, started it up and let it warm up.. It idles at 18° 20°. Is that fine because it done run and drive good, exhaust smells like exhaust, normal color(it's cold here), and no fuel smell. What degree should it be at idle with out vac advance?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM

ok so I have been doing some research on rear diff. but I would like some clarification. from what I have read my 79 5-speed does have the r200 in it as does my 8/81 turbo automatic. Is this correct because if it does then there is no need for me to waste time swapping the whole rear end out.

next problem. i got all the struts/shocks, sway bar bushings/endlinks, both out tie rods, driver side inner replaced. I cannot get the pass inner out of the center link. I don't want to remove it(center link) because its still pretty decent but I am thinking I will have to. The problem is I cant find one for less than $250. Next I was thinking of swapping to rack and pinion but then i would have wasted money on all 4 tie rods and sleeves. so I am not sure what to do. will my 81 turbo rack and associated parts work on mine. both cars do have power steering.

thanks for the help
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 PM

So here's what I got.

1979 280zx daily driver
1981 280zxt parts car with total reworked motor and a p90 head

QUESTION:
Is there anything from the 81 i can put on my 79 to make it better?

I have been doing some reading and i now know i cant put the whole head. The cams are different so would that do anything? Could i swap the pistons out of the 81 and then use the head?

I have done alot of reading tonight on the different combos these engines came with and the numbers of each. It got me wondering if there is some kind of frankenmotor i can come up with that is better than what i have. At this point I am not looking for top end, more like acceleration. I do know that at this point I do not want to go turbo. Yes I know I can buy new parts for mine and up grade, but why by new upgrades if I can use what I have to gain something for the time being. I could be just shooting in the dark here though and totally stupid for asking but hey never know

Oh and just for clarification I am not looking to be spoon fed. It seems other sites have a problem when i ask stuff like this. i dont mind reading its just i am new to the Z and don't have much knowledge on them or know good places to look.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 AM

If you are not going to run the turbo then no. The Turbo engine running WITH OUT boost actually has lower compression than the normal aspirating version.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 AM

Yea the more I read that's what I was thinking. Oh well it was worth a shot. Never know unless you ask or read.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 PM

Sweetness!!!! Just figured out my turbo parts cat has the bigger swaybar..23mm I believe. Now to see if the rear is too
Old 04-27-2013, 06:22 PM

Name:  IMAG0446.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  54.6 KB
Did this today.