280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for a medium sized diff cooler.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:05 AM
Ruff Ryder

looking for a medium sized diff cooler.

well, i just destroyed an r200 from overheating, now im looking into getting a diff cooler, anyone know of a good place to mount the in/outlet fittings? where to route the hoses..etc? i was looking at this little archive and was wondering if i could do basicly the same thing?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Big Poppa

How The Heck You Blow Up Your Diff?? Id Try An Additive Before Doing All That Work.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:19 AM
The Good Twin

I highly doubt it was from pure "overheating" that caused the problem.... More likely it would be very old diff fluid, or too little diff fluid. R200 diffs are pretty tough & will hold up to about 400hp before breaking the spider gears. I have only heard of a few cases of R200's breaking... and each of them were from high hp abuse.

Hoov... how many hp ya runnin?

EDIT.... if you're still going to look for a way to cool the diff better.... just get an 87 - 89 Z31T diff cover. Get the whole diff if possible as it's an LSD, but if you can just find the cover, they work well because they hold more fluid & are finned for cooling.

Last edited by NismoPick; 01-02-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:42 PM

Overheating the diff isn't neccessarily a matter of too much HP. Drifting can very easily overheat a without much horsepower at all. I didn't bother to read that big ol article you posted Hoov, but if it involved drilling and tapping the diff then that's what you're going to have to do. There are no provisions for an oil cooler on the stock drift. Some of the GT-R's came stock with diff coolers so might be able to source a cover from one of those if their covers will bolt on. I don't know if they do or not though. Other than that, you're definitely drilling. Nismo had some good advice with going with a finned cover. That will be sufficient in most applications. Endurance racing or excessive periods of drifting however would most likely need an external cooler though. What happens is the fluid breakdsdown REALLY fast when it overheats and it loses it lubricity. So basically what probably happened to you is what these guys are saying and that the fluid needed to be changed. But overheating will turn brand new fluid into unusable old fluid in no time flat. So the cooler just keeps the fluid in like new condition for longer. Whether you need it or not, if you can afford it and you're a racer, then it is extra security. One lap races and short drifts around a couple turns probably arent going to warrant a cooler but it will keep your fluid better for longer. Like I said, except in extreme conditions, a finned cover is probably sufficient but the brownie points for having an external cooler are always nice
Old 01-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Ruff Ryder

yea, i wasnt drifting, i was more of rally racing through a small area of desert, but i have found a finned cooler with the ports for a cooler, so im gonna go hunt down a z31 at the j-yard.