280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

l28et fuel and ecu

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 PM

l28et fuel and ecu

Well my l28et is nearing completion here's what I'm running
T3/t4 turbo
External wastegate
Walbro 255 fuel pump
3inch down pipe
Fidanza aluminum flywheel /exedy stage 2 4puck clutch
240sx 60mm tb , I am also wondering about the afm delete/gutting
-my goal is 300hp
I am now wanting to upgrade the ecu and fuel Injectors , I am alittle foggy on the aftermarket ecus I've heard a lot of megasquirt but I belive there is diffrent types of megasquirt ecu and I was wondering wich would be the best for my set up
Also how much hp can I run off the stock injectors safely? I was looking at 7gmte 440cc low impedence injectors , do you think that would do the job? I would like to know what you guys are running to give me a better idea

Last edited by Male; 01-02-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:46 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Male
I am also wondering about the afm delete/gutting
The AFM is the load sensor. All EFI systems need some type of load sensor. AFM, MAF, MAP, are the 3 main types of load sensors. The Z31T ECU upgrade swaps out the AFM "flap door" sensor for the MAF "hot wire" sensor. I believe MegaSquirt (MS) uses a MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure).

I've heard a lot of megasquirt but I belive there is diffrent types of megasquirt ecu and I was wondering wich would be the best for my set up
MS2 and MS3 are the two versions most people use. Lots of MS info on their site, and HBZ has tons of info on setting it up for the L28ET.

Also how much hp can I run off the stock injectors safely?
The stock 259cc injectors (at stock fuel pressure) are efficient up to about 10-12psi, and about 260hp.

I was looking at 7gmte 440cc low impedence injectors , do you think that would do the job?
Injector size / type is up to you... as long as you are able to tune & adjust the ecu for impedance and proper A/F ratio. Just remember there are several types of injectors: 11mm & 14mm o-ring, barbed, long pintle cap, short hat pintle cap, stock EV1 connecter vs other types, high vs low impedance.

I would like to know what you guys are running to give me a better idea
I'm using the Z31T ECU / MAF, stock 259cc injectors @ 40psi fuel pressure. I've actually been doing a lot of "junk yard research" to find a better set of injectors. Most all modern injectors are high impedance o-ring with short hat pintle caps. I want ~300cc injectors for my setup and found that Buick GNX's and the GM 3800 Series I supercharged engine injectors are right around 300cc, 14mm o-ring, high impedance. I have several sets and will be trying them out this spring with a Fubar fuel rail.

Other common options are RX7 460cc injectors, Mercedes 450?cc injectors, Ford SVO 370cc injectors, and Supra 310?cc injectors.

Do some searches... injector options for the L28ET has been discussed mucho.

Last edited by NismoPick; 01-02-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Personally I'd just spend the $50-$60 a piece on a performance injector - who wants to trouble shoot a fuel issue when you're trying to tune your car. You'll need to go with a fuel rail as they are typically all o-ring style.

There isn't a huge price difference between a MS2 and MS3 setup but you'll spend double the difference to upgrade later so I'd say get the MS3 then you've got the expandability and more precise fuel map, etc, etc. I've build quite a few kits for guys - I like the through hole stuff better than surface mount for vibration and stress. The pre built ones are surface mount and lots of guys use them without any problems.

Think about 3" exhaust all the way back and porting out the intake manifold as well as an "A" grind cam from a NA head...
Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 PM

THANKS this helped a lot and i was looking on hybridz Fuel Injector Upgrades/Swap - Fuel Delivery - HybridZ and thats were i got the supra injectors
Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
The AFM is the load sensor. All EFI systems need some type of load sensor. AFM, MAF, MAP, are the 3 main types of load sensors. The Z31T ECU upgrade swaps out the AFM "flap door" sensor for the MAF "hot wire" sensor. I believe MegaSquirt (MS) uses a MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure).
)
so with megasquirt correct me if im wrong i can get rid of the AFM and replace it with a MAP sensor which im assuming it is alot smaller and does it come with MS or do i buy it separate
Old 01-03-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
There isn't a huge price difference between a MS2 and MS3 setup but you'll spend double the difference to upgrade later so I'd say get the MS3 then you've got the expandability and more precise fuel map, etc, etc. I've build quite a few kits for guys - I like the through hole stuff better than surface mount for vibration and stress. The pre built ones are surface mount and lots of guys use them without any problems.

Think about 3" exhaust all the way back and porting out the intake manifold as well as an "A" grind cam from a NA head...
OK got it MS3 is my top choice and whats the price difference between pre made vs DIY and doing the 3" did the porting and what do you mean by "A" grind cam from a NA ? Is that just a stock NA cam?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 PM
The Good Twin

Read entire page: MegaSquirt: Wiring and Sensors

To answer your question:
MAP Sensor

The most fundamental measurement MegaSquirt® EFI controller uses to determine the amount of fuel to inject is the manifold absolute pressure. The MegaSquirt® EFI controller uses the MPX4250AP as a MAP sensor, and it is supplied with ALL the units from the current group buy. It will correctly measure from a near vacuum to ~21 psi of boost. It is suitable for all naturally aspirated and most turbocharged engines. If you are going to run more than about 20 lbs of boost, you may need a MAP rated at a higher pressure. Check the 3-bar MAP sensor page for more information.
L-Series cam specs:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/cam/index.htm