280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to build L28E / L28ET 14mm o-ring fuel rail on the cheap!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:12 PM
The Good Twin

How to build L28E / L28ET 14mm o-ring fuel rail on the cheap!

As always, I'm on the lookout for interchangeable parts while at the junk yards. Recently I've been wanting to run 300cc o-ring injectors, but don't really want to spend $120-$200 for a custom cnc machined rail. So after looking at MANY o-ring rails, I found that the Jeep 4L inline six fuel rail would work with some "modification" (which is my middle name). I bought this rail for $9 from the local Pick n Pull.

Let's skip to the chase. This is a budget "how to" adapt domestic 14mm o-ring injectors to the L28E / L28ET. As far as I can tell, any EFI Jeep 4L rail should work.

The rail needs to be sectioned 3 times:
-0.75" between ports 2 & 3
-1.00" between ports 3 & 4
-0.75" between ports 4 & 5

I marked out the cut line with a pencil, and used an electric grinder with a thin cutting disc. I clamped the rail in a vice (rail wrapped in a rag), and had to flip the whole thing over to get all the way around. I did one section at a time. I cleaned the edges with a file & then hit them with a wire wheel on the drill. Then used a set of strong magnets to hold the sections in place while tack welding. Removed magnets and cris-cross welded the joint to keep it from burning through. Lastly I cut a 25mm diameter sheet metal plate to weld closed the fuel pressure regulator port (I will be using an external one).

I still need to weld on two manifold mount brackets, and pressure test it. I may source another and try things a little differently (mainly use my band saw instead of a grinder). I spent a total of about 4hrs working on this one, but I could probably do a second one in 2hrs now.

Attached Thumbnails How to build L28E / L28ET 14mm o-ring fuel rail on the cheap!-compare-rails.jpg   How to build L28E / L28ET 14mm o-ring fuel rail on the cheap!-rail-sectioning.jpg   How to build L28E / L28ET 14mm o-ring fuel rail on the cheap!-rail-welds.jpg   How to build L28E / L28ET 14mm o-ring fuel rail on the cheap!-rail-final.jpg   How to build L28E / L28ET 14mm o-ring fuel rail on the cheap!-rail-manifold.jpg  

Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 PM

aww **** my boss just scrapped a 4l jeep yj motor with a fuel rail.. great work
Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

What's the next level after EPIC because you just landed there.... 40+ years of Z car innovation and we thought it had all been done but NismoPick pulls out another junk yard adaptation! Sticky!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 PM
The Good Twin

After doing tons of injector research, I'm actually pondering the use of 11mm o-ring import injectors. 99% of the domestic 14mm injectors are high impedance (saturated), which are less effective for boosted applications than low impedance (peak and hold). Low impedance actually kick back the needle, creating a more effective and accurately timed spray. There are more 11mm low impedance injector options, but I gotta go back to the drawing board to find import rails to modify.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by NismoPick
After doing tons of injector research, I'm actually pondering the use of 11mm o-ring import injectors. 99% of the domestic 14mm injectors are high impedance (saturated), which are less effective for boosted applications than low impedance (peak and hold). Low impedance actually kick back the needle, creating a more effective and accurately timed spray. There are more 11mm low impedance injector options, but I gotta go back to the drawing board to find import rails to modify.
Wicked - as an Electronics Eng I was thinking that low impedance would give a theoretically quicker response. I started researching but there wasn't a lot of info on the surface searching I did.

Mega Squirt allows for adjustment on the peak and the time to turn the injector on fully, PWM, etc so it's all there you just need to add the info. I actually "tuned" my injectors PWM by ear with the MS test mode and it was within 0.1ms of the measured current draw with an O-Scope one of the HybridZ members did.

I've found the after market 14mm are low impedance from 550cc and above but we are typically looking for 330cc or 440cc injectors...

Last edited by FricFrac; 09-06-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Big Poppa

nice work, i like where your headed. ill take that barbed rail off your hands when your done. my "big" upgrade is to turbo injectors for the na and there still barbed. lol. you could just go on ebay and buy rail blems for 2 bux a foot or something and then just properly bore the holes for injectors tho.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:27 PM
The Good Twin

I'm keeping the barbed rail around to pass emissions.

I did mull over the idea of building my own billet rail, but the cheapest price online that I could find is $10/ft, most are $15 - $20/ft for billet rail stock. An old neighbor kid I know is now a cnc machinist. I talked to him about it, and even grabbed a stock GM rail from the junk yard as an example, but it would still probably be $100-$200 in labor.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 PM

i got my rail with built in guageand barrbed ends for 135
idk prices everywhere but here in san antonio junkyard round here will try to get top dollar price for a fuel rail ..they are crazy with price
Old 09-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by SHADY280
nice work, i like where your headed. ill take that barbed rail off your hands when your done. my "big" upgrade is to turbo injectors for the na and there still barbed. lol. you could just go on ebay and buy rail blems for 2 bux a foot or something and then just properly bore the holes for injectors tho.
I've got a rail sitting here that you could drill and tap and put your own barbed fittings in. Do you have an NTP tap?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 AM
Big Poppa

yeah i have the taps and a drill press, plus a tig if i need to mount any brackets. plus taps arent that expensive if i need a bigger one for the ends. rossmachining sells there blem rails at super cheap prices to recover some of there cost on there website and ebay sometimes. all you need to build a o-ring rail is a drill press and the correct bits or reamers. prolly not that expensive.