280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just registered and thought id say hi.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Über User

right i agree but im saying the air behind the radiator in s30's and s130's since it has a very open engine compartment isnt going to be very hot as long as you moving, and also, you just said, its a turbo car, so the "turbulent" engine bay air you speak of is getting sucked in and compressed. my point is that though the points themselves ar valid, the draw backs you are saying in an overly dramatic way.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Ruff Ryder

better safe then sorry,also if he drives the car in the rain and goes through a deep enough puddle....
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by hoov100
better safe then sorry,also if he drives the car in the rain and goes through a deep enough puddle....
....water will splash outward from the tires.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by hoov100
you ever suck on a straw before?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Über User

lol, infront of the radiator is just about as prone to sucking water as in the engine bay, like i say, your points are good i dont argue with the suggestions, your just over exagerating their draw backs.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Ruff Ryder

well if your going through the trouble of putting in a IC and intake you might as well do it all out and spend the extra time doing some fine detail.

my exposed intake pipe theory goes like this.. paco bought a AEM cold air intake kit for his "Racing " civic, so he installed it, ran his pipe right over the hottest part of the motor and went to the dyno, then paco got his civic dynoed, so he grabbed the sheet and shook his head in disbelief that his cold air intake cost him 5HP and that his intake temp was 98 degree's with the outside air being 80 degrees. do to the pipe heating up and heating the intake charge, now he got some good advice from the nissan kids who ran the dyno and told him to shield the intake pipe and filter, so paco went home pulled off his intake pipe and proceeded to wrap the intake pipe with heat shield wrap. so paco installed the intake kit one more time and proceeded to the dyno, little did paco know that he would see his crack dealer and offer to give him a ride to "big-G" house. so he is back on his way to the dyno, halfway there he is stopped at a red light, on his right is a orange 240z with a l28et installed running 15 pounds of boost, so he quickly looks around for any cops and he nods over to the driver of the z and notices the drivers hot girlfriend, so he rolls down the window and asks if he wants to go, so he agrees and and the light turns green and they both floor it. the 240z instantly starts spinning the tires, screeching and smoke is every where! paco tries to double clutch to keep the datsun from winning, but is too slow and stops racing him, he see's his exit and books it around the corner. so paco finally makes it to the dyno and the nissan kids are there smoking a bowl and they get his car on the dyno and afterwards paco grabs the sheet and sees that not only did he gain back his 5hp, but also lowered his intake temp by 20 degrees!!!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 PM

ok hoov you really are commin across all wrong here. first of all the "cheap" ic piping is 2.2mm stainless and it cost alot of money. im insulted by that statment and feel you blew any credability in my book because you were so narrow minded and assumed it was chep stuff based on some crappy pictures. what made you think it was "cheap" in the first place? maybe the fact it was shiny or the fact it has blue couplings? second the placement of the air intake is fine. yes not ideal, but its not exactly a bad thing and heres why: the air intake is located right next to the electronic fan and my electronic fan flows 2500 cfm. now your wondering why thats important.... right? well ill tell you. If you take the cubic feet per minute and divide by the cross-sectional area in square feet you will get the average air speed in feet per minute. Divide by 60 for feet per second. Then multiply by 60/88 to get miles per hour... so 2500 cmf equals aprox 65mph (rounding down). so even at standstill the air around my filter is recieveing a simulated 65mph of blown air. (I converted into mph only to demonstrate the traveling speed needed to attain such a rate of air exchange) and as far as turbulent air, the placement infront of the radiator exposes it to air comming directly in from the front of your car, thats pretty turbulent too. so my point through all that was only to show that because the filter is located behind the radiator that doesnt neccarly mean its getting bad or super hot air. the engine itself doesnt actually radiate that much heat. the radiator is actually alot hotter then the engine and most conventional air intakes are located infront of the radiator with a pusher fan behind the radiator blowing air through the radiator thus heating the air it blows that your intake then sucks in. ahhh, this is getting complicated, but I think I made my point. infront or inback hot air from the radiator is unavoidable. the actual ideal place for a filter location is away from the radiator all together, but in a z its a little hard to avoid. I think you need to put more thought into your posts because i put alot of thought, time, and money into my project and dont appheriate you shitting on it. oh and btw your "heat sink" idea is also flawed because the air moving through the ic piping is moving too fast to efficiently transfer thermal energy especaily through radiation. study your thermodynamics laws. anyway i hope this helps you to understand that the setup isnt as bad as you think and though not ideal still works just fine. i didnt mean to be rude or condensending but i was offended by your comments. im always up for constructive critizsm and suggestions but next time lets think things through.

Last edited by Booster; 04-03-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by Booster
ok hoov you really are commin across all wrong here. first of all the "cheap" ic piping is 2.2mm stainless and it cost alot of money. im insulted by that statment and feel you blew any credability in my book because you were so narrow minded and assumed it was chep stuff based on some crappy pictures. what made you think it was "cheap" in the first place? maybe the fact it was shiny or the fact it has blue couplings? second the placement of the air intake is fine. yes not ideal, but its not exactly a bad thing and heres why: the air intake is located right next to the electronic fan and my electronic fan flows 2500 cfm. now your wondering why thats important.... right? well ill tell you. If you take the cubic feet per minute and divide by the cross-sectional area in square feet you will get the average air speed in feet per minute. Divide by 60 for feet per second. Then multiply by 60/88 to get miles per hour... so 2500 cmf equals aprox 65mph (rounding down). so even at standstill the air around my filter is recieveing a simulated 65mph of blown air. (I converted into mph only to demonstrate the traveling speed needed to attain such a rate of air exchange) and as far as turbulent air, the placement infront of the radiator exposes it to air comming directly in from the front of your car, thats pretty turbulent too. so my point through all that was only to show that because the filter is located behind the radiator that doesnt neccarly mean its getting bad or super hot air. the engine itself doesnt actually radiate that much heat. the radiator is actually alot hotter then the engine and most conventional air intakes are located infront of the radiator with a pusher fan behind the radiator blowing air through the radiator thus heating the air it blows that your intake then sucks in. ahhh, this is getting complicated, but I think I made my point. infront or inback hot air from the radiator is unavoidable. the actual ideal place for a filter location is away from the radiator all together, but in a z its a little hard to avoid. I think you need to put more thought into your posts because i put alot of thought, time, and money into my project and dont appheriate you shitting on it. oh and btw your "heat sink" idea is also flawed because the air moving through the ic piping is moving too fast to efficiently transfer thermal energy especaily through radiation. study your thermodynamics laws. anyway i hope this helps you to understand that the setup isnt as bad as you think and though not ideal still works just fine. i didnt mean to be rude or condensending but i was offended by your comments. i appheriated the ideas but next time lets stick to more suggestions and less opionions.
so it took you four days to come up with that bs excuse? first all your IC piping is cheap, its just a generic ebay pipe with a different logo and a higher price, you do have me on the heat sink theory, by your piping is alot thicker then most ive seen. now see your airfilter doesnt sit behind the fan where your 65mph wind is going to be. also even if the air is traveling at 65mph to the filter, it still hits the intake turbine and becomes compressed air. also your filter is going to sit behind the radiator shroud if your smart enough to make one for you fans. and with the airfilter in front you dont have to worry a pusher fan, see if you where smart enough you would know, that a pusher fan goes IN FRONT of the radiator so your intake theory is also screwed, now i know i over dramatized about the effects, but i was mearly pointing out what probably is going to happen, it may be more severe it may be less, track is the ultimate dyno.

and if you cant handle another persons opinion, sarcasm, and views, well then i guess the internet isnt for you.

Last edited by hoov100; 04-03-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:38 PM

it took me 4 days to post because i had to attend the my friend josh's funeral, he was killed 2 months ago while we were in iraq together. remember what i said about you posting without thinking, you did it again. you related my time between posts to me having to come up with a "bullshit" answer, when infact i was trying to come up with a way to tell his widowed wife she'll be "ok" without him. not everything is about you. i can tell your young, i can also tell your eager to prove yourself, but dont do it at others expense. i already said im greatful for the constructive critizsm but i just disagree with your points. as for the ic piping heres where i bought it from if you must have your proof. it was a good kit and i think any of you guys doing a custom piping should consider it. http://www.treadstoneperformance.com..._cat=Pipe+Kits
im done with this discussion. you got alot of growing up to do buddy and something that can help is having some freinds that help you get there. thats why id rather be your friend then your enemy. lets agree to disagree and move on.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:11 PM
The Evil Twin

wow...
I had not checked this thread in a while.

I had a Greddy BOV. I thought it worked good and sounded fine. My engine was stock though.

The air filter placement is ok. Its as far forward as you can get. That's good.
Moving it outside the engine compartment could be a future upgrade.

Also, on the IC piping in front of the radiator, the tube will be warmer in that location compared to in front of the radiator. Many turbo Z owners have run their piping that way. They dont' have 5hp less than stock. It'll work even though its not ideal....but really, a SOHC engine with the intake manifold right above the turbo is not ideal either. People still get 300whp out of them.