280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just registered and thought id say hi.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Just registered and thought id say hi.

For awhile Ive been using this forum to answer alot of the datsun questions I have had about various things and I thought It was only fair I registered. Besides sometimes when Im reading through the threads I feel I can add something to the conversation...so now I can. A little about me, I moved from wisconsin to oxnard ca about a year ago. When I got here i immediatly started looking for a 280zx. Ive owned a 73' 240, a 75' 260, and a 77 280z, so I figured Id give the ZX a try. One lucky day while I was out I came across a gorgous 81 280zx turbo in stellar conditioin and decided to buy it. I found the ZX at a antique car dealer in hollywood and made the guy an offer he couldnt refuse. I bought the zx about 5 months ago and since then have went Z crazy. almost every concieveable preformance upgrade and visually pleasing part on the market is now installed on my car. My latest project that im still in the process of doing is a turbo swap and intercooler install. Im excited to see how it turns out. Im in a rare situation where I have lots of money from my well paying job and at the same time I have acess to a full garage of tools, lifts and various machines (tubing benders, parts washing stations, paint booth, sand blaster...stuff like that) so for the last 5 months i have been just living the Z car dream. Once I get to know this site a bit better ill post some pictures of my ZX. From the post ive read over the years this seems like a great community and seems to have alot of knowlageable people that post here. there are a couple of members im especially interested in talking to and if I can figure out how to I plan on sending them a message. Im sorry if i posted this in a compleatly wrong catogory, but like I said im new to this site. I look forward to talking to you guys and assisting in any questions or problems you may have and also look forward to you guys helping me with any problems of questions I may have. cheers -Booster

Last edited by Booster; 03-21-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:01 PM
The Good Twin

w00t! Welcome to ZDriver!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your 81 turbo? And you don't need to wait to post pics... we'd love to see it now.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Pr0n Addict

good stuff. yep, pics are good in the off topic forum or on the 280zx part of the forum. a very warm welcome to you!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

Rite on... another S130 owner... Welcome to Zdriver. cant wait to see your Z.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Über User

yeah nismo stole my words word for word.

if you cant figure out how to post up pics upload them to photobucket.com k. then they give you codes, one code is called IMG copy that and past it in a response here, and vuwala, pics
Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm a Registered User!

greetings~!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:17 AM

Ok, cool, as I expected you guys were friendly and welecoming, thanks. Nismo I paid 5g's for the ZX turbo. It sat in a hollywood show room for 2 years since the previous owner a small time movie director traded it in. No rust anywhere, even under the car, no bent frame rails, no cracks in the dash, rips in the headliner, seats are perfect leather condition and whats even better was the engine was a fresh rebuild...well from 2 years before it sat but it hadent been driven so still fresh...kinda. so 5g's was worth it to me for such a clean z. Thanks again guys oh and btw where do i post pictures? right here in the thread or somewhere elce on the site?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:39 AM

alot of stuff has changed since i took the picture of the car itself, like the wheels and now i have a body kit and a california wing. ahhh, as for the other pictures they are of the project im doing right now. check the HUGE intercooler; 32'' across! oh and the one is of the dash at night, you can only see 1 of the 3 aftermarket gauges but it still looks cool. i dont have any really good pictures of the car now and is in my shop under the knife right now, but ill finish this project and take some more pics and post them for you guys. but untill them these should give you a small idea of what i drive.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:27 AM
Pr0n Addict

very nice looking car. but you gotta do something about those wheels...
i can't wait to hear how it runs with the new turbo and intercooler
Old 03-22-2008, 08:14 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by willkrom1990
very nice looking car. but you gotta do something about those wheels...
I think he did...

Originally Posted by Booster
alot of stuff has changed since i took the picture of the car itself, like the wheels
Old 03-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Über User

lol ^^^^^

thats very clean for not being resto'ed. 5k seems a bit high but your happy. and id like to see whats done with the car now. go get a camera lol
Old 03-22-2008, 09:51 AM

yea, the wheels have been replaced with some motorsport 17x7 slot mags the wheels it had were so gay. 5k was a bit high, but then again i did buy it in hollywood, a bottle of soda in hollywood is like 5 bucks, they like to skyrocket prices for the rich crowd. i didnt care though i fell in love with it. i have a camera, the car is just compleatly disasembled though, im getting ready to do my breaks and calipers too so its sitting in a heap of parts on jackstands. its not really what i would call "photo quality" Im doing a willward brake upgrade, kinda at the same time as the turbo just jumping back and forth. the slotted and crossdrilled rotors should be pretty sick behind the new wheels and run alot cooler.

Last edited by Booster; 03-22-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 PM
The Good Twin

Im doing a willward brake upgrade,
Willward or Wilwood?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:27 PM

wilwood, my bust. i dont know why i put willward, now i feel like a amature. maybe i was thinking of woodward pennsulvenia.

Last edited by Booster; 03-22-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Ruff Ryder

wilwood, my bust. i dont know why i put willward, now i feel like a amature. maybe i was thinking of woodward pennsulvenia.
wasnt their a woodward skate park?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Pr0n Addict

Originally Posted by NismoPick
I think he did...
haha i'm an idiot. reading too fast.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:09 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Was that Pennsulvenia? or Peninsula? or maybe the state of Pennsylvania?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Pr0n Addict

there is a wildwood crest in new jersey. big hydroplane race there
Old 03-23-2008, 08:39 AM

your all too much. I dont know how to spell, im not a good typer. I remember computers being big and green. those were ther days. ne ways i got the turbo compleatly installed with the oil line and half the intercooler piping ran to the ic. the ic is too big and now i have to modify the front end to plumb it. i also got the mbc installed on the dual port wastegate which was very simple. hopefully i get alot done today. ill have some new pics tonight at like 7ish west coast time. talk to you guys later.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:04 AM
The Good Twin

Nice, but MBC = FTL.

Get yourself an electronic boost controller. Much more safe, reliable, and easier to use. Pretty crappy when someone rolls up beside you wanting a go and you have to say: "Gimme a sec.... I gotta pull over and crank up my mbc."
Old 03-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Über User

Originally Posted by hoov100
wasnt their a woodward skate park?
yes. and there still is

but as for MBC's you can get boost creep and spikes much to easily. those can = boom
Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 PM

today was a good day, i got the turbo and intercooler all plumbed, installed the bov and mbc, my fuel pump and 32lb injectors all squared away, and re-attached the exhaust and intake manifold, pluged in the re-programed ecu and mounted the mas and ram pipe. unfortunitly the place where i do all my work is closed on monday and tuesday so i wont get to start in on it untill wensday. but i got alot done today. still have a long way to go though. but here are some pics of what I did today. not the best but im focusing on the project not documenting it. a electronic boost controll is best but mbc will work for now. everything not finished yet but these are some mocked up photos. still need some small adjustments.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Big Poppa

welcome and nice work on the car. thanks for not waiting to put up the pix
Old 03-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Über User

idk know why but i cant see those last 2 pics.... lame!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 AM
The Evil Twin

Those last two pics are great! welcome

Quick Reply: Just registered and thought id say hi.