280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just registered and thought id say hi.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:10 PM

thanks bleach good to finaly hear from you. happy you approve. and thanks for the welecome. im getting ready to start up again on my project tommorow and with any luck i hope to be starting my zx and tuning it by friday. ill have some new pics for tommorow.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Über User

what are you using for engine management? and whats with er' body and greddy BOV's spend 50 more bucks get tial that or spend 150 less dollars and get a DSM BOV cause its the same thing as the greddy lol.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:59 PM

greddys a good company, im a fan of the rs style bov. engine management comes from a jim wolf reprogramed ecu, if that is what you were refering to.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Usedta be Justin260z

Great looking s130! I like what you're doing with it.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM

ok finished my turbo and intercooler project today. after priming the turbo i took it for a mild drive and was sure not to beat on it. the new garrett was smoking like crazy, after checking my oil lines im hoping its just the part breaking in, like a new muffler. any of u turbo swap guys get any smoke off your new turbos? also the new boost gauge i got says i should thread this little screw into the manifold and run the boost line for the gauge from there, problem is the fitting is too big...any of you aftermarket boost gauge guys have some advice for me there? also, i noticed the new turbo doesnt seem to boost as well as the stock turbo...i have no clure why. any ideas? so in the end the car seems to run really nice, its so smooth it feels new, however im paprnoid as hell that im going to burn up my turbo, the turbo swap was cool and fun but theres something to be said for "stock piece of mind"
Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Just out of curiosity, where did you buy your Garrett?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Über User

please dont say ebay..... if so then i can tell you right now why your turbo is smoking
Old 03-29-2008, 07:41 AM

wow guys thanks for helping me with my problems. to think i was actually looking forward to waking up to a little quality advice from this community. i got my garrett from the garrett website.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Booster
the new garrett was smoking like crazy, after checking my oil lines im hoping its just the part breaking in, like a new muffler. any of u turbo swap guys get any smoke off your new turbos?
So the smoke is coming off the turbocharger itself right? Not pouring out the exhaust pipe? Look at the turbo & see if there is any oil or greasy residue on the turbo housing or downpipe.

also the new boost gauge i got says i should thread this little screw into the manifold and run the boost line for the gauge from there, problem is the fitting is too big...any of you aftermarket boost gauge guys have some advice for me there?
Just go to NAPA and get a vacuum hose T.

also, i noticed the new turbo doesnt seem to boost as well as the stock turbo...i have no clure why. any ideas?
I would ask what psi it's boosting to, but according to the paragraph above... you don't have the boost gauge hooked up...

Boost is controlled by the wastegate. Did you replace the wastegate along w/ the turbo? It might be set to open at a lower psi.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM

nismo thanks for the input. no it was comming off the turbo, its not doing it anymore. im still papranoid im gonna burn up the new turbo....scary. i got the boost gauge installed and set the mbc at 9 psi and its boosting up to 9 but i have to really lay on the throttle. booste seems weak and doesnt pull like the stock turbo did. yea i replaced the wastegate and i think its factory seting is 8 psi. but reguardless i got it to push out 9 and when im finished tuning i hope to get up to atleast 14. my bov isnt working though, it wont pop, i was going to recurclate but with the maf and the new comp i didnt have to so i figured a little wistle would be cool. i think its just the greddy is a defective unit and im going to buy a differnt one with better tuning ability. i cant drive the car till then cuz i noticed since its not working its spinning the turbo backwards....yikes. so bov is the last thing i gotta do before i can dive my zx. cant wait. thanks again for the advice.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

Looks a little like Rod's car...only not messed up from sanding down his guitar next to it.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Ruff Ryder

you should really put some heat wrap over the IC piping and move that air filter as the way its setup now its going to heat up the intake charge more then it would with the stock j pipe.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Über User

the greddy is being adjusted but wont work? hmmm, i wonder if you have a boost leak some where. cause it should and 9 psi should feel decently. do yourself a big favor and get a good autometer boost guage. if you do want a good BOV i suggest HKS SSQV BOV (so many acronyms.... i feel dirty) or my fav TIAL. also i thought the turbo was smokin out the exhaust, but if its just smoking, i would be to worried. if anything its some type of residue that was on it or you go on it. that or your oil feed line is leaking. and without a boost guage its impossible to set an MBC to 9 psi. they are just to inaccurate.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Get a Blitz BOV

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iOsnzehuJlA

SOOOO SEXXXYYY
Old 03-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Über User

blitz crap, telling you TIAL for a great sound and the true racer's BOV used on ALL high hp cars, and the HKS SSQV is the perfect performance and price and sound pakage for the average decent to high hp application.

TIAL: http://youtube.com/watch?v=e7tD9DQqLLw

and http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pj59t12tAjc

hks: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CqUOr2lMMWw

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 03-30-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Ruff Ryder

i dont care how much power the wrx is making, its a rice patty.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Über User

your ****ing crazy then dude. its got a hood and lip kit. thats not rice, thats taste. though the CF is pointless on the lips.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Ruff Ryder

did you also miss the shaved badges, the fact that the lip kit will do nothing for him aero wise and he spent probably $700 on a hood to lose a mere 5 pounds?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Über User

OMG SHAVED BADGES RICE RICE RICE!!!!! you nerd lol, but lets stop polluting this thread.

back on topic, lets see some finshed pics and a video or something eh?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
its got a hood and lip kit. thats not rice, thats taste.

No... that WRX is rice. Cuz we all need hood pins on our DD's.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 PM

yea i got the boost gauge installed snowboarder i think i wrote that..... yea im gonna get an hks instead of the greddy. im not traking you hoov100, whrap the ic piping, move the air filter..huh? but yea thanks for the advice guys i always am greatful.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Ruff Ryder

wrap all the IC piping in heat wrap and having the airfilter behind the radiator and next to the motor is only going to make the air even hotter. in other words, with your mods the way they are you are going to lose efficiency and probably some power. that and with how you setup everything you IC would be useless.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Über User

ok hoov that is false, he isnt going to loose power cause the engine bay gets alot of cirulation though the ideal place is infront of the intercooler agreed. the heat wrap idea isnt gonna really do anything, instead maybe a heat shield. intercooler will drop tempuratures alot! and the air temp behind teh radiator isnt that much of an increase in these engine bays and the heat from the IC pipe placement wont act like a heat sync like the IC does plus the air will pass past it to quikly for it to do much either. i agree about 75% with hoovs ideas, but he is being way mellow dramatic about the draw back they are creating. heat shield would be much better than heat wraping the IC pipe, of heat wrap that section of the exhaust.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
ok hoov that is false, he isnt going to loose power cause the engine bay gets alot of cirulation though the ideal place is infront of the intercooler agreed. the heat wrap idea isnt gonna really do anything, instead maybe a heat shield. intercooler will drop tempuratures alot! and the air temp behind teh radiator isnt that much of an increase in these engine bays and the heat from the IC pipe placement wont act like a heat sync like the IC does plus the air will pass past it to quikly for it to do much either. i agree about 75% with hoovs ideas, but he is being way mellow dramatic about the draw back they are creating. heat shield would be much better than heat wraping the IC pipe, of heat wrap that section of the exhaust.
im worried about the cheap generic IC pipe sitting right next to the upper rad. tank and it just turning itself into a giant heat sink, also putting an intake and IC on it, only to put the airfilter behind the radiator is kinda like shooting yourself in the foot, the whole point into doing an intake and IC is to maximize the reduction in intake charge. now having a airfilter sit right behind the radiator is also not only drawing in very hot air, but also is sucking in very turbulent air which we all know is not a good thing for EFI.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 AM
Ruff Ryder

and isnt the point of using a turbo is to maximize efficiency of the motor?

Quick Reply: Just registered and thought id say hi.