280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injectors from other cars + other Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:09 AM
eff good grammar

Injectors from other cars + other Q's

alright i searched far and wide before asking this because it kinda seemed like it might have been discussed before but i didnt come up with any thing so here it goes.

most of my experence comes from a maxima 8 years newer than the z i bought, although i personally never tore down the engine my self (dont have the tools or time) i did alot of the work my self so its kinda hard to go from it back in time between carberation and something a little more modern.

today i figured out my rich smell, its a leaking injector right behind the regulator. it may just be the hose but theres some others seeping a little bit so its probally time come spring/early summer to change em out with the rail, all in all it would look to make things that much easier.

so i need to ask will injectors from other nissan cars fit?
i plan on changing the fuel rail to something a little bit more modern but untill i get a job (laid off earlier this month) its out of my price range as of now.

i hear odds and ends about changing the AFM for a MAF in some of these older posts, i have got atleast one extra MAF arround here thats been diesected and many more avail at the u-pick. whats the story on changing one out? odds of changing one with out having to rewire for a VG ECU?

now that i have a car worth while i am going to set it up to mod it more in the future but as of now if i have to replace some things, i want to replace em with things to make the future that much easier while its a daily driver.

sorry bit of a read.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Big Poppa

well as far as now goes, go to the wrecker and grab one stocker. its not worth the injector upgrade unless the rest of the motor is really really done up. the computer and injectors are kinda one of the last things you need to upgrade. as far as running a maf on our current setup, i cant say ive ever seen it without a z31 ecu upgrade. the computer upgrade may yeild a small increase in driveablity and power, but nothing much till you have the rest of the upgrades done. save all the money you can now and drive that car!! the nslowly collect nifty engine parts (cam, headers, pistons, etc.) then worry about the other bolt on stuff. get the car to run with the mechanical engine parts with the stock ecu first. work off that point. you can have lots of fun without all that hassle
Old 12-22-2007, 04:13 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ What Shady said. If you need to replace your injectors, go to www.ebay.com as 280zx injectors are for sale a lot and for cheap. Or you could source them from www.car-parts.com

And no, a MAF will not work with your ecu. MAF outputs are diff than AFM. Do a Z31 ecu upgrade or go megasquirt if you want a MAF.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:28 PM
eff good grammar

well like i said i would like to know whats available to work because some injectors are more readily available than others. N/A VG injectors are the easiest to come by and theyre not that much more CC's than 280 injectors, and if i do them sonner rather than later its one less thing i gotta do in the future. i wont do e-bay, been screwed one to many times on there from people with tons of positive feed back. it may just be my luck but its not an option

besides theyre more of an injector than whats on there now but i think it'll be adjustable enough with mixture adjustments and pressure regulators to compensate for the rest of the engine being close to stock.

and yea i am gonna drive it any way, i gotta, its the only drivable car i have. the maxima runs but with a bad rod bearing i dont know how much longer it will, i havent moved it since the instant it started.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:00 PM

It wont run right without the correct injectors. There's no way to tune the stock ECU to make up for a bigger injector. It may be possible after many hours and lots of coffee to get it to run right at wide open or at idle, but nothing in between. I have tried to cheat the fuel injection on mine every conceivable way, nothing works reliably. If you really want to dump a lot of money to keep it in the nissan family, got with the z31 ECU swap like I did. It's possible to do it for less than it cost me (about400) but you'd really have to scrounge. If you only have a leaky hose, and not the injector its self, dont even bother removing the injectors, especially if she runs right. Its a pain in the **** to put it all back together, and then you HAVE to replace all the injector seals too.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:06 PM
eff good grammar

i checked it out, its the injector it self
it doesent sounds like this has been tried very often
Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
i wont do e-bay, been screwed one to many times on there from people with tons of positive feed back. it may just be my luck but its not an option
Paypal bro... Paypal. Save yourself from headaches.

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
it doesent sounds like this has been tried very often
Because there aren't many options... I had a year long escapade of fuel injector searching, researching, and swapping. All L28E injectors will swap, and n/a VG injectors of the same cc will as well. If you really really can't bare to have stock injectors, check out some fuel injector list webpages & see what else is comparable. Your biggest problem isn't cc size, it's pintle caps, connections, and impedance.