280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch/steering lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 09:53 PM

Ignition switch/steering lock

So get this guys. The guy I bought my car off had "fixed" the ignition after someone had tried to steal the car. He changed the key ignition but failed to mention to me when I bought the car that the steering lock would engage while DRIVING once in a while. Obviously it didn't happen when I drove the car myself prior to purchasing it. Soooo I got the freakin scare of my life...well the second biggest one anyway... when I went around a corner and the damn thing locked on me. Here I was going right for the concrete centre median, thankfully I had just made the turn off a red and wasn't going too fast so I was able to stop without hitting anything or anyone hitting me. Luckily for him he was on the other end of a phone line when I yelled at him. So he says, "Oh Yeah! it does that every now and then, but you just yank at the steering at the top and it comes loose". Apparently it has to do with the bad job he did replacing the ignition cylinder and the steering lock "pin?" just catches on whenever it feels like it. So i say... Thanks Genius! and hang up. 1st of all I cant find a newsed ignition cylinder thus far and secondly I kinda like those "start" button ignition jobies. I have yet to take the ignition apart but was wondering if anyone has done one of those button swaps to the ignition and how well its worked for them.

and no I didn't drive it home. kinda felt like I was on the highway, the cruise control was on and I was heading for a traffic jam a few feet away. sheeesh
Old 12-29-2004, 11:16 PM

IceIce has the pushbutton start, if I remember correctly.

This particular problem happened with an '82 Datsun 210 a friend and I are outfitting for drift racing (they have the same iggy locks as ZXs). We completely did away with the lock and key system (who's going to steal a 210, honestly?), and have a ghetto wiring setup for ignition right now. It works, but we'll use some aircraft switches and a button in the near future. They're easy to install, and even easier to use. And nothing gives a car the F1 feel like flipping switches and pressing buttons to start the car.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:06 AM

I like the way you put it. It be sweet and with shaved door handles it would go along with my planned scheme of things. No keys and an immobilizer. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:54 PM

Yeah, no problems. Glad I could inspire someone ... Have fun with it!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:19 PM

The way I figure it, with my limited (but steadiily improving) technical skills and all the advice around here I should be able to do some good to that car.

so I went to this local Z mechanic today and he's got this early 70's Z sitting in the way back. too much stuff around to get to it but i couldn't help but notice the deep dish rear wheel. like seriously deep. so he says they guy he bought it off had it set up for a small block with a corvette rear end. the fender inner walls were cut to accomodate the super wide tires which also helped fit the tires within the stock fender. looked quite good actualy. he does not know about relaibility though or how good the car ran with that setup. Seems like a real good guy. has been with Nissan for the past 20 yrs and now owns his own place ...check the website if you want www.zedshop.com seems ton have afew parts as well.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:30 PM
The Evil Twin

Sounds cool. I assume it is a 5-lug wheel since it is a Vette rearend.