The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Where are all these morons coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Where are all these morons coming from?

There seems to be a lot of people lately who think they know everything but truly know nothing who post as psuedo-experts... is ZDriver advertising in high schools or something? Or is there some forum named "morons.com" where ZDriver is attracting people from? (No offense to the respectable n00bs who don't answer a question if they don't know - I'm just tired of people throwing around bad advice like putting T28 cartridges in T25 housings and things like that which are known to be horrible concepts.)

It just seems like there were knowledgeable people on here for quite a while and now there's a flood of ultra-n00bs. My advice to everyone - look at the post count and history before taking anyone's suggestions.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM
The Evil Twin

I really thought that turbo swap would work!

lol
Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 AM
The Good Twin

epic.....
Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by Bleach
I really thought that turbo swap would work!

lol
... it would work... until the super-heated air coming off that inefficient turbo arrangement preignites your air/fuel mixture resulting in a cracked piston. LOL

I'd rather single-turbo my Z than run a setup consisting of T28 wheels in stock housings. Hell, I'd transplant a 2JZGTE or even an RB26DETT before doing that setup. But that's just one example of a myriad of poor advice lately.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 11-10-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Side note: whatever happened to the good ol' days of HYDRO-POWAH!?!? At least back then it was obvious when someone was an inverse genius.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:24 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
... it would work... until the super-heated air coming off that inefficient turbo arrangement preignites your air/fuel mixture resulting in a cracked piston. LOL
Inefficiency is the issue. T25 / T28 / T3 / T4 / T04 / T07 = turbo sizes (named by Garrett?)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

NismoPick is right, they are turbo sizes and that one in particular is a VERY inefficient arrangement. (And yes, that's the naming used by Garrett - GReddy uses TD05, TD04, etc.)

To get a T28 wheel to fit into the stock housing, it needs to be bored out. As a result of this boring process, the diffuser that is in all modern turbos is eliminated. This diffuser is INTEGRAL to the performance of modern turbos as it does a large part in the compression of the air. Without it, the turbo will perform very poorly. (Before modern understanding of aerodynamics, turbos were made without diffusers... back in the 40's.)

It is estimated that the diffuser accounts for about 30% of a turbos efficiency, so removing it drops the efficiency drastically.

As a result the T28 will flow more air (in volume) than a stock TB022, but at the expense of the air being extremely hot and the turbo being laggy overall.

To give an idea...

The purple line is a T28 hybrid. Notice how it makes about the same peak horsepower as the Sport 500 (a true T25), but is more laggy and hits its peak about 1400rpm later than the Sport 500. EVERY turbo in that comparison (including the HUGE TD05-18G) had better overall spool than the T28 hybrid.

But again, this was only one example of someone posting when they should be researching.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 11-10-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Ruff Ryder

what i have been hating is that people have giving temporary solutions and acting like they are permanent ones.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 AM
The Evil Twin

"all these morons" were born in 1988-92, parented by the people in this Nissan video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypTuS8uQ0QU&NR=1

lol
Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
Side note: whatever happened to the good ol' days of HYDRO-POWAH!?!? At least back then it was obvious when someone was an inverse genius.
dont remember hydro powah----could you splain me???.........disco caused brane damages
Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Über User

it was some nutty ploy to use electrolysis to create hydrogen to improve gas mileage and power. it was stupid as crap. do a search for hydro or hydrogen im sure you'll find the thread
Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
it was some nutty ploy to use electrolysis to create hydrogen to improve gas mileage and power. it was stupid as crap. do a search for hydro or hydrogen im sure you'll find the thread
oh, i got i t--some kind of weird hippy feeek thing to distract from the disco era from hell...i might even know some of the alternative personnel from hell on that one----some scca folks were involved in a lot of alternative energy stuff back then and i didnt pay close attention to it ---figgered it would get chopped by the big oil and car mfgrs lobbies.....gimme jet fuel and nitrous......
Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540

Hey, I have a little Honda rock separator that runs off hydrogen power. Works pretty well. Have to start it on gas though. little down the carb and then all hydrogen. But I`m just a hippy freak I guess.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Über User

I'm not saying you cant run stuff on hydrogen because you can in fact that's a similar principle to how those weird energy cell cars work or whatever they were that were hydrogen powered. what I'm saying as that THIS SPECIFIC idea was BS. i don't know of any electrolysis process that's compact enough to fit inside your car and be able to feed it along side with gas and improve power and gas mileage. not going to happen
Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I tried to find the post but was unsuccessful. It was some guy who posted in Z32 Tech trying to sell a product that allegedly used electrolysis to separate the hydrogen molecules from water in order to increase the power of gasoline engines. He posted all these bullsh*t resources and dyno charts of diesel pickup trucks as references.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Tell us how you really feel ZLover. Don't hold back. lolz
Old 11-20-2008, 04:20 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by Bleach
"all these morons" were born in 1988-92, parented by the people in this Nissan video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypTuS8uQ0QU&NR=1

lol
DAM... I was born in 92...
Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

I tried to find the post but was unsuccessful. It was some guy who posted in Z32 Tech trying to sell a product that allegedly used electrolysis to separate the hydrogen molecules from water in order to increase the power of gasoline engines. He posted all these bullsh*t resources and dyno charts of diesel pickup trucks as references.
we had a good descussion about that here about 3 months ago about this guy on youtube selling the same kit and advertising it with his 280zx

50 mpg my ***...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k566vt5GrS0
Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Über User

that guy was obviously inbred that or just so full of crap he even know it it shows in the vids and his comments.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Queen of Yachts

Originally Posted by Mhinrichs
Hey, I have a little Honda rock separator that runs off hydrogen power. Works pretty well. Have to start it on gas though. little down the carb and then all hydrogen. But I`m just a hippy freak I guess.
hi---ya lives in i da HO---where folks do stuff different---hippie freeks are ok---speshully if they likes to blow things away and up......
Old 11-20-2008, 10:18 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
DAM... I was born in 92...
do you see your mom in that video?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Crucial . . .i think i saw bleach dancing in the commercial. Only ninja that did a pirouette!!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Warning, the following is laced with sarcasm:

People posting "suggestions" and "solutions" are almost as bad as people who buy 24+ year old cars and expect that they can make them perform like modern sports cars with little to no money invested. Or people who buy 24+ year old cars and think they are going to completely restore these cars and do lavish engine swaps in them. 98% of Z and ZX N/A owners are not going to do much of anything to their Z's. It is just a fact of life, but these things are fun to wish for. I would say that 90% of L28ET owners will never put down more than 200hp to the wheels and that may be a stretch in itself. The majority of Z and ZX drivers are at best going to get their Z's to at least run well enough to be reliable daily drivers again.

I have had 2 N/A's ('79 5-speed and an '82 auto) and 1 L28ET ('82 5-speed). I had high hopes and big dreams for them...never happened. I got my L28ET to a max of 10lbs of boost and it was fun...I spent like $30 to do it with a cheap MBC, a 1" threaded plug for the intake and a inexpensive BOV. It worked but anything beyond that would be big $$. I got my '82 N/A auto tuned well enough that it would pull steady and hard all the way to the redline with no hiccups at all and I could roast my left rear tire on command. Was it fast? No.

I would like to say that if anyone wants to do anything to a 280ZX N/A, make it run like it did when new...then you will have a fun car with marginal performance, enough to make you smile, and you will have a car that gets great gas mileage. If you can make it look good with body kits, wings and wheels, go for it...but it will never be a "fast modern sports car" unless you are filthy rich and have nothing better to spend your money on. Think I won't get another ZX? I sure will, most likely a L28E 5-speed...I know what they can be and I know what they can't be so this time my dreams won't be a factor...250hp N/A? no way. 26-30mpg and still be able to spin 1st, 2nd with a chirp in third and be able to out do many cars in the turns...no problem. However, there is one way for sure to make a Z perform like a modern sports car...it's called a 350Z!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Hoov for Pres!

Meh... I can make my car faster than a 350Z with less total invested money. They look faster than they are.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

or just but legit things for you z and stop being a cheap ***. back in the day the z was a a modern sports car. might of been a poor mans sports car but it does the job. still does the job compared to cars today.

Quick Reply: Where are all these morons coming from?