280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fumes = Bad Carbon Canister

Old 08-09-2014, 05:24 PM

Fumes = Bad Carbon Canister

Since I got my car I have been smelling gas, thinking it was a loose or cracked injector line, but never a sign of gas, just the smell. So I went about sealing up the interior the best I can, to keep out the fumes, new shifter inner boot, new tail light seals, repaired rusted spare tire hole, even have some old, but in great condition door seals I haven't installed yet ! Yay, because nice almost new ones are hard to come by on the S130's, so I was happy to get a set from back east.

After everything, still the smell, someone today suggested I check the Carbon canister, I had replaced all the lines, but did not try testing it. Since I have a z31 I am parting, I looked at the Canister on it and they are the same size, just one extra purge nipple. So I swapped in the 300zx part and even with the extra purge connector open, and all the other hoses connected up correctly, the fumes are gone, it's like daisy fresh under my hood now. No wonder, it had over 358000 miles, never changed, there is a membrane in the top part if it cracks will leak and stink ! So happy this worked, so if you have been having similar issues, easy to fix if you can get another close part, there is a replaceable air filter on the bottom, I bet you could replace the carbon inside with stuff from a fish supply place, it is used for underwater filters, Activated Filter Carbon Pellets.
Since I have an extra, I will see how hard it is to refurbish one, if I kill it no worries.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:11 PM

What I did on mine...there on the bottom is the air filter. Mine was dirty, but not from a zillion miles of use like yours Predator. So I used my shop vac, and the small brush on the end..so I wouldn't suck the filter clear off. But just using the shop vac sure did clean it up.

As far as the charcoal inside?????? Can't tell you....

Old Codger
Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Awesomeness

[QUOTE=PredatorZ;336292]Since I got my car I have been smelling gas, thinking it was a loose or cracked injector line, but never a sign of gas, just the smell..... QUOTE]

You may have just solved an issue I'm having