280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally back in the game

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Externally Wastegated

Finally back in the game

It's been a long time since I've driven my Z. https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/son-26533/

That's part of the reason, and the other reason was the head gasket I originally tried to use to seal, was a POS and leaked coolant and oil everywhere upon start up. So I had to take the head off again... Fast forward to ~last weekend, and there I was thinking I'd be able to drive my Z: that is until my stupid ignition lock decided it wanted to crap out and my tumblers got messed up resulting in my key getting stuck...

I bought a new ignition lock set off ebay since everywhere else wanted over $100 for a new lock switch, and got it installed today. My Z fired up to life after the 4th try to crank her over. I've gotta few bugs to work out before she's totally fine. The main issue is she is running really rich under boost (10.0 afr), so that's the first thing to get addressed. The 2nd is my tachometer doesn't work, so I borrowed the SAFC I gave my bro as temporary tach until I get this figured out.

Eventually I will run the JWT setup. The only thing holding me back from that, is the fuel injector connectors that are required to connect to the injectors are unorthodox Bosch connectors. Nothing I've come across so far will properly connect. So hopefully I'll get lucky in the junkyards and find a 1975 450 SEL Benz. Otherwise I might bite the bullet and get new ones from a MB dealer. Either way, I'm friggin happy to be able to drive my Z again. Dude I missed the exhaust note so much.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Congrats man...glad to hear you got it running again. Keep us updated on your progress...
Old 09-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Big Poppa

do you need a tach adapter???? if you have msd youll need it, as for the rich, because of all the funny stuff youve done, i dunno if many ppl could help, but id rather rich than lean under boost! what ever happened to the thing you dropped down the front cover? get it out, or just leave the magnet there.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 AM
The Evil Twin

you're high tech ECU is over my head.

glad the car is on its way again. Maybe I'll drive mine down in 2010 and we'll do another SanDiego cruise.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Externally Wastegated

Yeah I'm really happy at the moment to just have the Z running. The washer is still in the oil pan happily attached to its best friend: a blown speaker's magnet. I don't have enough time to drop the pan to fish it out since work is getting really busy lately.

I do have a tach adapter, but I'm guessing the signal wire doesn't have a good connection after it passes through my firewall. I'll have to sort that out this weekend.

As for the rich issue under boost, I think I might have a boost leak in my i/c pipes somewhere. That or maybe the TPS or something needs to be adjusted. Hopefully it's something minor!

Bleach if you ever design a NES ecu that's controlled by the Powerglove, sign me up! Sometimes hi-tech sucks! And yeah dude, if you do head down to SD, hit me up, I'm always down to cruise. I don't really see too many 280zxs on the streets anymore. Just a couple 280zs, and that's about it as far as anything pre-84 goes.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by lifegrddude
Bleach if you ever design a NES ecu that's controlled by the Powerglove, sign me up! Sometimes hi-tech sucks!
When I convert my car to electric, I'll do that. Forward and back controled with the directional pad... no steering wheel, just the 'glove'
Old 09-25-2008, 01:02 PM
The Good Twin

lifegrddude... we need some pics!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Über User

agreed ^^^^ otherwise i say FAKE! lol
Old 09-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Externally Wastegated

Crap, you all caught me. Yeah umm in reality I drive a stock, automatic Z with a VW Beetle daisy flower vase in the vents and some pimp fuzzy dice. It's also painted in the most manly of colors too: hot pink with lime green polka dots.

Haha ok guys I'll get some pics or vids up this weekend. Just gotta make sure everything is fine before I put the hammer down on the go pedal. I'm anxious to see the boost gauge go past .3-.4 Bar too.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM
The Evil Twin

You might be right. The last time I saw it, it was an auto.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Externally Wastegated

Originally Posted by Bleach
You might be right. The last time I saw it, it was an auto.
Shhh, they might find out about my whistler exhaust tip and Beanie Baby collection on the dashboard too! Wooo woooo
Old 09-26-2008, 12:11 PM
NisTuner

THE WHISTLES GO WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyway oddly enough I was just reading about the JWT 450hp setup on redz31's site. Which had a link to z31.com.
http://z31.com/jwt.shtml
http://www.redz31.net/pages/fuel/jwt.html

In the z31.com link it's mentioned that you need to shave the connectors on the injector down so you can fit the stock harness connectors onto the injectors.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Externally Wastegated

Thanks for the links, I was waiting for a response from JWT, but I guess like the others, older Z people don't rank very high on the priority list. I'll see how much I need to shave on the injectors, and give the ecu setup another shot this weekend.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Über User

shiz wizeek!!!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Externally Wastegated

Fail!!!! Haha alright so here's some pics of the Z. I don't have any video because it was just way too crowded on the freeway. I only took a short clip of a low boost 4th gear pull, but I don't even think it's worth it to post it.

These were taken just after I got off of work:

My new 4" filter and 3.5" pipe to the maf (makes the turbo very audible!):

And a couple after I got away from all the craziness who are SD drivers:

Old 09-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Pr0n Addict

wow. that is very pretty. are those stock fender flares? or did you put those on?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Externally Wastegated

Those are the stock fenders flares. I haven't touched the body minus shaving a few items. Oh, and the body got touched from stupid people when I went to school, and the mall who love to give it dings...

Edit: You know what, screw it, here's the crappy vid I took. It's nothing special, and I will take a vid of me going through the gears on the high boost setting later. There were just too many people around for me to do much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5poi3MEyv4

Last edited by lifegrddude; 09-30-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Über User

RICE!!!! total rice....
Old 10-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Very nice John...I'll have to watch the video when I get home from work. I'm jealous now! And I see you cleaned her up.

Last edited by tickwon; 10-01-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
The Evil Twin

that's clean and stylish. Matching wheels and all. Not very JDM.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Pr0n Addict

faster than my car
Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM

I just saw the video, now more boost. Maybe when you get more open road.

Last edited by tickwon; 10-01-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Über User

guys... it seems like everyone is starting to get back into the Z game... now i want to build a BA S30 devil Z styling but a flat black (the proper way not rattle can) with some gold/bronze rims polish lip wantanabe style and then a big turbo L motor stand alone with LSD and then a clean but race oriented interior... i could sell my bike for 7 grand and with the way i manage car expenditures i could do all that with 7k and probably sell it for like 13k haha... but i'd have to sell the bike!!!!! i love riding! but i love Z's more, but i got 2 other friends that just got bikes this summer so we can all ride together... IDK!!!!!!!! this is a tough decision!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM
NisTuner

You manage to get your JWT ecu and the injectors installed?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
guys... it seems like everyone is starting to get back into the Z game... now i want to build a BA S30 devil Z styling but a flat black (the proper way not rattle can) with some gold/bronze rims polish lip wantanabe style and then a big turbo L motor stand alone with LSD and then a clean but race oriented interior... i could sell my bike for 7 grand and with the way i manage car expenditures i could do all that with 7k and probably sell it for like 13k haha... but i'd have to sell the bike!!!!! i love riding! but i love Z's more, but i got 2 other friends that just got bikes this summer so we can all ride together... IDK!!!!!!!! this is a tough decision!
ok heres what you have to do... STEAL BLEACHES 240z!!!!!! it seems hes not using it...

Quick Reply: Finally back in the game