280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

date/ car help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:48 AM

date/ car help!!!

heya guys

long time no see hey

i have a situation on my hands, im taking a nice oyung lady out this saturday and i want to introduce her to the finer points of Zeding in my 280 but the damn thing started running like **** today....

woke up in the morning and tried to start her took me ages and she sounds very rough..

ok it starts and just has a very rough idol..... not the normal purr from the exhauste, it sounds more like a popping kinda sound.... it revs slower and there is alomst no power at all....certainly not drivable any long distance

my first thoughts are fuel or spark problem, maybe timing?.....then maybe MAF??

i dunno, im no expert and id appreciate all the help i can get... really want her back on the road b4 sat....otherwise its the boring old parents car

thanks heeps guys
Old 03-29-2006, 07:08 AM

First check the timing. A mis-timed engine can easily cause the problems you mention. Then make sure your spark plugs are all firing a nice strong spark and make sure all your fuel injectors are firing. After that you can start worrying about why. And we'll be here to help
Old 03-29-2006, 07:27 AM
The Good Twin

So nothing was touched or changed... just went to start it this morning & it runs crappy?

yeah... do what J says... thas my advice!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:48 PM

cool guys thanks for the help

ill look into it, and keep yall posted
Old 03-29-2006, 11:04 PM

ok yes im a retard

iv searched the net a bit, looked in the maual, looked in the instructions for the timing light....where the **** is the mark that i need to check the timing??.... which pully is it on??

sorry for the retarded post but i cant find the bastard newhere
Old 03-29-2006, 11:40 PM

it should be on the inside lip of the innermost pulley. there should be a little marker that pokes out and over the pulley, and you should be able to see it from the passenger side of the motor, but you may need to remove your power steering pump in order to see the timing mark.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:20 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Fast240Z
it should be on the inside lip of the innermost pulley. there should be a little marker that pokes out and over the pulley, and you should be able to see it from the passenger side of the motor, but you may need to remove your power steering pump in order to see the timing mark.
Yep... that's where it be, but I wouldn't take off the power steering pump! Just get down there & run your finger along that inner edge until you feel the V. I always mark it w/ some liquid paper white out so it's super easy to see when timing.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:23 AM

Yeah mark that bitch. If you cant see it, just keep rotating the engine little by little til it comes into view. If it's anything like either one of my Z's when I got them it's filled with grease or dirt and wont be easily visible
Old 03-30-2006, 09:04 AM

I recommended taking off the power steering pump because on my friend's S130, I couldn't see the timing marks from the passenger side of the engine bay, or even get the light to shine down onto it. But I've never really been able to use a timing light right...
Old 03-30-2006, 09:09 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Fast240Z
I recommended taking off the power steering pump because on my friend's S130, I couldn't see the timing marks from the passenger side of the engine bay, or even get the light to shine down onto it. But I've never really been able to use a timing light right...
I've checked timing on all my 280zx's dozens of times & never had to take off the PS pump... just set the gun in front of the PS belt & aim it at the crank pulley.... If the timing mark is marked w/ whiteout, it's VERY visible when timing. Timing should be an easy process. No need to make it difficult.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Big Poppa

its easier with an electric fan, and i still even use whitout on the engine pulley and my little tab is cleaned and painted. the techs at nissan couldnt even do it right the one time i took it and had them check it. buncha retards
Old 03-30-2006, 04:21 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Shady is right. Most of the current Nissan dealer tech's don't know anything about any Nissan more than 10 years old unless they have an old geezer still workin' there. If you can't do the work yourself, hook up with your local Datsun/Z Car club and find out who they use most. It'll generally be a balance between the cheapest and most knowledgable mechanic on these cars with the scale leaning HARD to the cheap side...