280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**cheap Performance Tips** or "How to get banned from zdriver in under 10 posts"

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Joose Bocks

Question **cheap Performance Tips** or "How to get banned from zdriver in under 10 posts"

Hey tryin to give my 280zx more kick any tips?
Old 12-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

intake, cam, exhaust, ignition... upgrade them all and you get performance as cheaply as it can come for the s130(or s30)
Old 12-26-2008, 07:15 PM

cheap thrills

Is it non-turbo?

DISCLAIMER: Assume I'm an idiot and none of my advice is to be followed. Assume anything I tell you to do will destroy your car. Search is your friend.

1. Make sure the car is in basic tune, which means:
- run seafoam through the engine. 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 sucked into the intake. Run it hard until it stops smoking, then change the oil. ($6)
- change the oil and filter. ($40)
- new distributor cap, new rotor, new plug wires, new plugs. ($60)
- make sure the air filter is clean, replace if necessary ($20 if nec)
- verify that your oxygen sensor works, replace if necessary ($40 if nec)
- change the fuel filter ($15)

If it's basically Ok, not spewing smoke, stalling, or otherwise obviously messed up, proceed. Otherwise, fix the obvious problems first (check your fuel pressure regulator, your injectors, etc).

2. Lose weight:
- get rid of the spare tire if it's still there, replace with fix-a-flat. ($6)
- take off the a/c components if you can / feel like it. ($busted knuckles)

3. Hacks:
- advance the ignition timing to 10-15 degrees BTDC. For mine, this is about the middle of the adjustment slot ($FREE, go "rent" the timing light from a parts store, or just seat-of-the-pants it). The stock 6 degrees is sluggish on mine.
- BEST / most dangerous for last. I just played with this today. Go to Radio Shack and ask for a 1K resistor. After they try to sell you a cellphone, go to the back of the store and find one yourself. Pull the connector off of the coolant head temperature sensor. Fold the leads of the resistor and insert them into the connector. Black tape it up. This will basically fool the ECU into thinking the engine is always about 120 degrees, so it will constantly be sending an enriched mixture (more fuel) to the engine. The ECU never sees the engine "warm up".

I THINK (but am not sure) that this also keeps it from going into "closed loop" mode, which is the fuel-saving mode that uses the oxygen sensor. You will be constantly burning a 12:1 mixture. This DOES work on my car. I need to play around with other resistor values, and possibly putting in a pot so I can turn the effect on or off as necessary:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/t...pot/index.html

Risks include fouled plugs, fouled catalytic converter, and fouled oxygen sensor from running too rich. If you live in a cold area, it probably will have trouble starting because the ECU can no longer see how cold the engine is - but if you do it the right way following the above link, you can turn it on or off.

Cost: 25 cents for the resistor.

Between the ignition timing and this li'l gem, my car actually had some sack when accelerating away from the lights today. I'm going to do more experimentation and hopefully do a full write-up in the future.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 PM

never mind

I just looked at your other post where you said it was a turbo, and you had snow on the ground. So FORGET EVERYTHING I SAID. I don't know anything about turbos or cold weather.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

oh it is a turbo? BOOST CONTROLLER!!!!!!!!!!! FTW!!!!!

after the tune up(because you dont want to be running excessive boost on a pos tune) crank her up with a used BC on ebay

or an intercooler, always nice to have cool air
Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Pr0n Addict

intercooler and boost controller. both cheap and easy. past that, get a digital boost controller, and exhaust, and a bigger turbo. or at least a better one. but it's hard to be cheap. once you make it faster, the brakes and suspension will be lacking. you have to keep it balanced in most cases.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm a Registered User!

make sure you have adequate piping too!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:46 PM
The Good Twin

Well... since others have already helped out, now I can say: SEARCH. This topic has been covered mucho.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Well... since others have already helped out, now I can say: SEARCH. This topic has been covered mucho.
but if he searched he would just be redirected to this thread and the world would explode!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

not if he searched before starting it
Old 12-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

Originally Posted by d33zdrama
Hey tryin to give my 280zx more kick any tips?

"no fat chicks it'll scrape"
i think that sums it up

or you could call it weight reduction

lol
Old 12-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
intercooler and boost controller. both cheap and easy. past that, get a digital boost controller, and exhaust, and a bigger turbo. or at least a better one. but it's hard to be cheap. once you make it faster, the brakes and suspension will be lacking. you have to keep it balanced in most cases.

Really No One? Fine I`ll say it.

Compressor surge is a bitch. If you run an intercooler, boost controller, bigger turbo. The get a BOV, say no to compressor surge.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

a bov isnt going to give you any real performance/hp on a stock motor, thats why no one mentioned it he said for cheap...
Old 12-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
a bov isnt going to give you any real performance/hp on a stock motor, thats why no one mentioned it he said for cheap...

No but everyone mention boost controllers and intercoolers, and with those, pretty much any upgrade to boost over stock requires a BOV unless you really don`t like your turbines.

As for cheap, you can get a 1st gen eclipse/talon BOV for 5 bucks from the scrap yard and crush it to hold proper boost, works great.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

well w/o any input from this dude we wont know what he wants...
Old 12-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Joose Bocks

Yah i replaced the clutch with a stage 2 and got a new no name exhaust/headers......i raced a 05 g35 3.5 automatic still fast as hell and got him but still good for my cuz my **** is a 2.8.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM
From NY to AZ

Are you saying you raced a g35 and won?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by 007max
Are you saying you raced a g35 and won?
for real, auto g35 or not you may have the fastest light modded Z out there
Old 12-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Get outta my way.

Yah i replaced the clutch with a stage 2 and got a new no name exhaust/headers......i raced a 05 g35 3.5 automatic still fast as hell and got him but still good for my cuz my **** is a 2.8.
This made me lolz and giggle.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 AM

lol its always good to have funny guys on here! g35 huh.. dang guys why dont we all start going out n racing g35s on light mods itll get our rep up!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Joose Bocks

Cool

i dont see wats so funnyy....but anyway i got up to like 75 and then he took off on me ....but i still think i won......its all about who gets ahead first....and i push that shitt till it begs for mercy..280zx is the best car made.period F*ck wat u think and to all u funny guys come over to my house and ill show u how its done.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
The Good Twin

0h snapz! ya'allz jus got told!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

i dont see wats so funnyy....but anyway i got up to like 75 and then he took off on me ....but i still think i won......its all about who gets ahead first....and i push that shitt till it begs for mercy..280zx is the best car made.period F*ck wat u think and to all u funny guys come over to my house and ill show u how its done.
I just figured out you're a teenager. He's making fun of you because you failed to do the most important things:

1. Search before you post

2. Read the sticky's at the top of the S130 forum and you would have seen this link called "Why Street Racing is a Crock to Compare Cars": http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/streetracing.html

3. The '05 G35 Automatic in stock form is a fat, slow, pig.

4. Watch your language. You have no idea who you're talking too or what their level of experience is. Most likely it's considerably greater than yours. If you were kidding and not trying to start a fight, say so and use emoticons so people can tell what our intentions are.

Last edited by lww; 01-05-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Get outta my way.

Oh snapz donts luagh at himz or he will bust a capz in yo azz!

Chill dude no one is trying to bust your bubble but its funny that someone thinks a 20+ old car can beat a modern sports sedan.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by DatsunKid
Oh snapz donts luagh at himz or he will bust a capz in yo azz!

Chill dude no one is trying to bust your bubble but its funny that someone thinks a 20+ old car can beat a modern sports sedan.
That's right, it takes a 30+ year old car...

But the Jim Cook 280ZXT is finally nearing completion after 4 years...

With around 450 whp, it should be able to take an '05 G35 automatic...

Quick Reply: **cheap Performance Tips** or "How to get banned from zdriver in under 10 posts"