280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Studs and Lugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Under My Car... brb

Wheel Studs and Lugs

Bought my '83 2+2 in June. It's killing me!(but I love that car) The lugs are rusted and the local shops can't seem to get them off without snapping the studs. One finally got the fronts off but had to replace two studs. I took the car in to get new skins put on but the shop can't/won't get the lugs off of the rear. They already broke two studs on one side. The problem comes in with them not being equipped to get the caliper off to get the rotor off. Now for the questions:
1. Does the rotor have to come off to change the studs?
2. Can acorn seat lugs be used with the stock "6 spoke" aluminum rims?
3. If the rotor has to be removed does anyone know where to get the tool to remove the caliper?
ANY help at this point is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by CWHammer
Bought my '83 2+2 in June. It's killing me!(but I love that car) The lugs are rusted and the local shops can't seem to get them off without snapping the studs. One finally got the fronts off but had to replace two studs. I took the car in to get new skins put on but the shop can't/won't get the lugs off of the rear. They already broke two studs on one side. The problem comes in with them not being equipped to get the caliper off to get the rotor off. Now for the questions:
3. If the rotor has to be removed does anyone know where to get the tool to remove the caliper?
ANY help at this point is greatly appreciated.
If you have acorn nuts that are rusted on , drill a hole through from the end and use Kroil or PB Blaster in the hole , it will free the rust in a few min. Good luck, Gary
Old 10-18-2004, 10:39 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by CWHammer
1. Not really. The rotor just slips over the lug nuts in the rear. If you remove the wheel and the brake caliper, then the rotor will just fall off. On the front, yes you have to remove the rotor to replace the lugs.
2. They can be used but they will damge the wheels. Please use the proper Nissan lug nuts for those wheels.
3. Umm... a wrench? They are held on by two large bolts. I think 17mm head?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Under My Car... brb

Originally Posted by BleachZee
1. Not really. The rotor just slips over the lug nuts in the rear. If you remove the wheel and the brake caliper, then the rotor will just fall off. On the front, yes you have to remove the rotor to replace the lugs.
2. They can be used but they will damge the wheels. Please use the proper Nissan lug nuts for those wheels.
3. Umm... a wrench? They are held on by two large bolts. I think 17mm head?

Thanks for the great info once again. The shop was concerned that the piston in the rear had to be turned as it was compressed because of the e-brake. I've done my share of drum brakes but never a rear disc. I'll contact the local dealer for lugs ($ouch$) since I don't want to damage anything further.