280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z owner looking to restore-ish

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 PM

Question New Z owner looking to restore-ish

hello I just bought a 1982 280zx non turbo 5 speed that sat for three years... just needed a new fuel pump from what i was told well i had to do Alot more but thats normal for rescuing a Z from its untimely demise...any way to the point... the car has water damage (carpets rotting, fur or fuzz on the door is discolored, trunk panels are warped and messed up big *** hole in the passenger fire wall(guessing a battery leaked?) missing battery pan and rusted out frame under the battery pan) so id like to restore the panels and doors and maybe even put stock seats back in or better ones. id like suggestion and price range's... im also in to customizing and im very handy and a quick learner so bare with the noob questions thank for your time!!!

Last edited by Kerias; 05-16-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:49 AM

Post pics of that beast !!!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by Kerias
hello I just bought a 1982 280zx non turbo 5 speed that sat for three years... just needed a new fuel pump from what i was told well i had to do Alot more but thats normal for rescuing a Z from its untimely demise...any way to the point... the car has water damage (carpets rotting, fur or fuzz on the door is discolored, trunk panels are warped and messed up big *** hole in the passenger fire wall(guessing a battery leaked?) missing battery pan and rusted out frame under the battery pan) so id like to restore the panels and doors and maybe even put stock seats back in or better ones. id like suggestion and price range's... im also in to customizing and im very handy and a quick learner so bare with the noob questions thank for your time!!!
Take care of the body/rust issues first. If you overcome that collosal issue then taking care of the rest is cake. Interior pieces are plentiful. Only issue is shipping as they are bulky. Find a local collector and you should be able to get most stuff on the cheap. The two rear panels with vinyl can be (relatively) easily fixed. Finding a good glue and patience is the key. Carpet on the door is easy peasy - just pull the panel and unstitch the original carpet and glue/sew in the new one (you just need to sew the door vinyl to keep it down to the carpet - I didn't bother and it still fits pretty good).

Seats - I think ANYTHING is better than the stock couch seats lol. My preference for stock seat swaps is the RSX or S2K seats. The sky is the limit on aftermarket...
Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 PM

ok thanks what about aftermarket tail lights? also can you suggest websites? and what paint would be a good brand to paint the dash and console? would you bondo it and make it smooth? also the voice still works in my car scared the living **** outta me the other day lmfao!! is there a way to modify the voice? (just for ***** and giggles)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM

also how hard is it to fix gauge lights? and anyway i could get the fuse diagram for my fuse box?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

XenonS130 for the FSM which has the schematics

Nadda for the tail lights other than the lighted finisher that goes between the tail lights.

SEM makes a good plastic paint. There are other out there now like Krylon Fusion. It seems to work well on all the plastic parts but is weird on the new vinyl I put on the two rear panels - doesn't seem to cure and stays tacky. A dash cap is the way to go for the dash... MSA carries those.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:55 AM

how she looks after i revived her
Attached Thumbnails New Z owner looking to restore-ish-photo-3.jpg