280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing bodywork

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Hey, I wanna know a little more about the "black tape" that covers the chrome trim.
I'll give you some for free! Just send 3 Bleach Proofs of purchase plus $29.95 S/H to me...
Old 04-12-2005, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
You can't paint that chrome crap without it looking like caca, or flaking off right way. I thought about powder coating them, but they want more to do that than I paid for my paint job.
get it "rhino lined", the truck bed liner stuff. it sticks to metal perfectly and as can be anticipated, its tough. they'll do a smooth finish for you as well as textured. you gotta take the trim off first.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:32 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by Skully
yeah yeah...ideas for bodywork...cmon....:P
Hood: shave over the right hood vent so it is smooth. remove the driver's vent and install a 300ZX turbo scoop or simular scoop. Mold it into the hood for a smooth transition. (idea for my car)

You already have the body kit I would suggest.

You can shave the door handles and install door poppers.

I was going to do something custom with the plastic trim piece between the door window and rear wing window. maybe make it smooth or paint it body color (except for you everything will be black anyway)

Remove rear wiper and motor. Shave the hole for the wiper (if you even have one) black out chrome trim back there too.

No emblems on the car anywhere.

Shave or change the plastic air vents just in front of the windshield

Mild fender flares would be cool, but probably not with 14x6 wheels unless you bought those 'Honda' spacers to push the wheels out.

Buy the LED 350Z fender emblem/turn signal and install them in your fenders

I have some ideas for custom headlights but I'm not going to share untill mine are done! BAM!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

and there you have it. . .

as far as painting the trim, its not hard at all, and doesnt look bad as long as you prep it right. getting something to look good is all in the prep, not paint. take a mild sand paper to it then a 3M scuffing pad, or just a scuffing pad. maker sure that every inch of it is dull but smooth to the touch. primer and paint it and you'll have blacked out trim . . .i used the very same process. but i used a trim black rather than a gloss to match the rest of my car. i used gloss at 1st and didnt look right.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by BleachZee
I'll give you some for free! Just send 3 Bleach Proofs of purchase plus $29.95 S/H to me...
But seriously, the only place I have seen that tape is at a local auto parts store. It is called Big Wheel Auto Parts. I've never seen it at the chain stores like Shucks/Kragen, napa, or Auto Zone. (rice zone) Big Wheel talors to classic car owners and hot rod guys. I go in there with strange requests for old Datsuns and they always get me what I want. Not like those losers at Shucks who look at me and ask what a Datsun is! ...is that the same as Toyota?

...lots of older cars have the chrome trim which is becoming more popular to black out.
Attached Thumbnails Doing bodywork-seriously.jpg  

Last edited by Bleach; 04-12-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:23 PM

thanks bleachy....im going to go with the hood shaving, a scoop on the turbo side, i already dont have any badges, doors ill leave alone, i was going to shave the plastic vents in front of the windshield but doesnt it suck air trough there? (as if my car doesnt have enough holes :P) yes rear wiper is going and im installing a the 911 whale tail...
and yeah i wont bother changing the trip because its all gonna be black...

well time to hit the body since my engine wont be up and running for another ...what 30 years?

what plans are there for headlights...i was gonna do something too but ill have to see what it looks like first before i share
BAM :P
Old 04-12-2005, 08:11 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Have you already bought the whale tale? If so, which one?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:00 PM

not yet i was gonna go with this....always wanted it!!! now i have money to get it, well im trying to pile up money on my account to have enough for engine stuff first..anything above 3000 grand i spend..hehe... but i just get more and more problems with that engine that i dont want to spend any money on anything else till i get everything done on the engine....

sthis is my fav by far...i never seen the other one on the car..the low pro one..

Last edited by Skully; 04-12-2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:40 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

not yet i was gonna go with this....

this is my fav by far...i never seen the other one on the car..the low pro one..
I think I prefer the low profile, but Ice has that one on his car and it looks freakin' nice.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by BleachZee
Mild fender flares would be cool, but probably not with 14x6 wheels unless you bought those 'Honda' spacers to push the wheels out.
I've been interested in some fender flares too, but the only ones I've seen for sale are the Victoria British ones, and it's hard to tell how big they'd actually be once mounted on the car. Would those be considered "mild" or are they big ol' bubbles? Any place else have 280ZX flares?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:53 AM
The Evil Twin

I've never bought any flares... so I don't know. zcarparts.com might have the flares. their online catalog is pretty complete.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:39 PM

MSA's got like 3 diff. kinds of flares for the 1st gens, but don't seem to have any for the 280ZX.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:32 PM

fab yer own....
Old 04-13-2005, 07:04 PM

Does anyone know what kind of side skirts these are? The ones MSA has all appear to be straight, rather than curving upwards near the center like this one. Or if anyone knows who owns that car, I could ask them directly or something.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:40 PM

i can get you hes contacts...hes at hybridz.org....

i dunno what kinda kit is that...its sweet tho...

or....fab yer own
Old 04-13-2005, 10:06 PM

Or...how about you fab it up and I buy it from you? ^_~

Do you remember what that guy's SN is on hybridz?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 PM

280zedx

haha i dont do flares but im gonna fab up other stuff....
Old 04-14-2005, 12:25 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Call Jim Cook Racing and ask them if they have a set of the side skirts that were used on the Cal ZX.

http://www.jimcookracing.com