280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 280ZX Exterior Cosmetics

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:43 PM

1983 280ZX Exterior Cosmetics

Hey guys, let me explain my situation. I'm currently a Senior in high-school, and my school requires a "Senior Project" which is something we choose to do. Now what I decided for my Senior Project I was to "restore" my/dad's 1983 280ZX which has quite a bit of work already (New Fuel Injectors, Wheel Ball barrings, Pressure plate, muffler, breaks, and manifold) And so my problem now is to get the car's body straight and repaint it. But before I like paint it, I was wondering where I could possible buy a body-kit for the 280Z like the MSA Body Kit II, and other exterior parts like HID conversion and a LED conversion. I found a few online stores that sell it, but since I live in Washington state, there doesn't seem to be any store that sell it here. So basically what I'm asking is does anyone know of a online store (That doesn't charge an enormous amount for shipping), or a store like near Seattle that I could buy parts for the 280Z.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Hoov for Pres!

I am not one to just say search. So, I give you this link...

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/where-buy-parts-your-280zx-18264/

This is a sticky. Do a quick search next time, or at least read the sticky threads associated with your car.

Welcome to Zdriver, and I hope all goes well with the project, and you get a lot out of this forum.

You will find a good amount of parts on http://www.zcarparts.com/
Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 PM
The Good Twin

w00t! Welcome to ZDriver!

Yes yes... search our site... lots-o-info.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Über User

and MSA's site is thezstore.com thats where youll find almost any part you could want.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM
The Evil Twin

for the most part, no you can't buy things locally. Online is what you'll have to do for the body kit. These aren't late model Hondas.

HID kit, eBay, stick them in your H4 conversion housing and blind oncoming traffic. If you want to do it right with projector beams then you will need to custom make your own headlight housing.

LED kits? Just replace the factory style bulbs with LED. Are you talking about the dash lights or the side markers and brake lights?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:31 PM
eff good grammar

can you get LED dash lights?

i have some that are burnt out and would like LED relacments as i have noticed regular dash light replacments dont last nearly as long.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Yes. You can replace any style bulb with an LED type. I used to restore motorcycle gauges, and replaced the bayonet style with LED for brighter lights, and an end result of way less load on the weak motorcycle charging systems.

There are several companies that will sell what you are looking for. But, they are more expensive than the original, and you need to know the polarity of the circuit to the originals. Because, LED only works one direction. It's a diode.

Pretty easy though.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by StrikerFury
Hey guys, let me explain my situation. I'm currently a Senior in high-school, and my school requires a "Senior Project" which is something we choose to do. Now what I decided for my Senior Project I was to "restore" my/dad's 1983 280ZX which has quite a bit of work already (New Fuel Injectors, Wheel Ball barrings, Pressure plate, muffler, breaks, and manifold) And so my problem now is to get the car's body straight and repaint it. But before I like paint it, I was wondering where I could possible buy a body-kit for the 280Z like the MSA Body Kit II, and other exterior parts like HID conversion and a LED conversion. I found a few online stores that sell it, but since I live in Washington state, there doesn't seem to be any store that sell it here. So basically what I'm asking is does anyone know of a online store (That doesn't charge an enormous amount for shipping), or a store like near Seattle that I could buy parts for the 280Z.
ha welcome to z driver.... and im a junior but i call my 280zx "Project Fix it Or I Ride My Ash On the Bus to School of 08-09"

Good luck... and why be an over achiver?... just make a bird house like everyone else
Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Hoov for Pres!

'Cause bird houses are for non-Z owning pansies.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 PM

Hey sorry for not doing more research then I should have. I didn't have a chance to looks all through the forum sections. (I mainly read all the 280ZX Performance / Technical post) But for me to customize the headlight housing does anyone know difficult its going to be? Because I searched around and the kits seem to be generic conversion kits and I don't have have the H4 conversion housing all I have are the stock headlights. And one other thing, I saw "Headlight Covers" which is like glass/plastic covers that go across the headlights (http://www.blackdragonauto.com/features/z/ZHLC.htm) would you guys recommend these at all?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ Yep... many people have them (including me... see sig pic).

Difficulty is relative. Can you use basic hand tools? Can you stick double sided tape? If yes... iggidy easy.

Also try www.thezstore.com as they might be cheaper there.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Hoov for Pres!

I would reccomend them for nothing else, than to make the car more aerodynamic. But, I am not big on the looks. Depending on the HID kit, you may want them.
I could not tell you how easy the conversion is going to be. Depends on the kit. I know a few have made their own. That is my plan.
But hey. Why settle for just the easy stuff. Document all your hard work and get an A+ on that project. Let the teacher giving the grade drive it once? lol

I wish my high school was like that. I just remember doing too much school work. That never included what I was doing to my cars on the side when I had the time. But, I was working almost full time hours through my high school years. So, I didn't have much time, and that was spent going to parties. haha

My senior projects included some massive research papers, and a lot of nights with no sleep.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 PM
From NY to AZ

Originally Posted by StrikerFury
Hey sorry for not doing more research then I should have. I didn't have a chance to looks all through the forum sections. (I mainly read all the 280ZX Performance / Technical post) But for me to customize the headlight housing does anyone know difficult its going to be? Because I searched around and the kits seem to be generic conversion kits and I don't have have the H4 conversion housing all I have are the stock headlights. And one other thing, I saw "Headlight Covers" which is like glass/plastic covers that go across the headlights (http://www.blackdragonauto.com/features/z/ZHLC.htm) would you guys recommend these at all?
If you had searched you should have seen this: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/comprehensive-projector-retrofit-writeup-15554/