240Z-280ZXT S30-S130 Tech Tips For 70-83 S30's & S130's

Eliminate vacuum hoses and clean-up the intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Heat Rave R
I suspect though that the construction of silicone hoses vary. So that like the silicone radiator hoses must be especially thickened, reinforced, or chemically different to take it. After all, you guys will notice that certain hoses, like oil and fuel lines, have some kind of nylon reinforcements running the length of the hoses.

The hoses that come in the typical silicone hose kit look like they don't have thick enough walls to withstand fluid pressures; the ones I got are thinner than some of the rubber hoses they replace, such that the original spring clamps won't fit on them. But, like I said, I was just concerned whether the warning on all the packages is due to chemical reaction issues (ie if fuel or whatever eats away at silicone) or just burst/fluid pressure reasons.
This is true. Silicone radiator hoses, just like a rubber radiator hose, are designed not to collapse under pressure (especially the lower hose which see's suction pressure). The fact that you said some of your silicone hoses were thinner does concern me since a silicone hose should actuallly be thicker, in some cases much thicker, than its rubber counterpart unless it has some form of reinforcement built into it. Also, most silicone hoses on the market claim to be chemical/heat resistant, so using them for duties such as coolant over flow tank or something like that should not be an issue. I wouldn't put a silicone vacuum hose in place of a high pressure fuel line however Just like anything else you put on your car, dont jump on the cheapest silicone hoses you can find because they are NOT all created equal.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:19 AM

You think a silicone hose to replace the rubber hose that goes from the manifold to the brake master cylinder is fine? What are the symptoms if it's not?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:25 PM

If its designed to withstand vacuum without collapsing then it would be fine. If its not than you'll notice the brakes get really tough to press if/when the hose collapses because you'll lose the power assist of the brake booster.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 PM
The Good Twin

You don't have to remove all the hoses to "clean up the engine bay." Why not paint / powder coat parts and organize the hoses by strapping them together & tying them down w/ zip ties? That would look better than just stripping everything out of the bay. Removing all the hoses & vac ports on a turbo can be a headache if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:52 PM
eff good grammar

i was looking at this, my EGR valve makes a big difference on my cars performance and on the 79 it hookes into that funky other thing. if i clean the vaccume lines up going this route but i want to keep AAV and EGR they just need to be hooked up the a vaccume source some where on the intake right?

also is it going to affect much of any thing if i do away with the funky valve thing the EGR is plugged into?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:55 PM

i did this to mine this weekend, i have a few questions

1. there are 3 vac lines going to a part next to the top cooling hose. one line goes to the TB, one to a T fitting that goes to the TB and Distributor and the last line going to the intake hose after the MAS. what is this part and do all these lines need to be hooked up? If i swap out the 240sx TB to i still hook them up?

2. there are 3 VAC lines on the TB, 2 mentioned above and one going to the canister. do i need to have all these hooked up? what happens if i swap out the TB with a 240

3. Which 240TB is the best to get?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by gostlrs
1. there are 3 vac lines going to a part next to the top cooling hose. one line goes to the TB, one to a T fitting that goes to the TB and Distributor and the last line going to the intake hose after the MAS. what is this part and do all these lines need to be hooked up? If i swap out the 240sx TB to i still hook them up?
Maybe you could post pics of the many "parts" you just mentioned. They all have names and can be identified in the Haynes manual.

do i need to have all these hooked up? what happens if i swap out the TB with a 240
The car will blow up.

3. Which 240TB is the best to get?
Use the term "60mm TB" instead of "240". You can get one from an SR20DE that already has the ball linkage, or from a KA24E / KA24DE which you will have to do some heavy work to get the ball linkage to work. You will also need a 1" spacer unless you want to use a cable throttle.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:34 PM

i have no idea what it is called. i think it is a vacuum switch. it is right next to the temp switch

so if you swap out the throttle body, what TPS do you use and i am guessing that you cap off all the lines that went to the origional TB?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 AM

you use the factory one. just remount it with some kind of plate. i think(correct me if i'm wrong) the 240sx TPS only works with the turbo models. I just made a plate fro mine. and mounted it up.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:58 AM

I found fuel rails, http://www.rossmachineracing.com/
The main rail already comes drilled, you just have top drill and tap the holes for your fuel injectors and its cheaper than pallnets. Besides you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Last edited by straight hate; 03-11-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Use the term "60mm TB" instead of "240". You can get one from an SR20DE that already has the ball linkage, or from a KA24E / KA24DE which you will have to do some heavy work to get the ball linkage to work. You will also need a 1" spacer unless you want to use a cable throttle.[/QUOTE]

I used the TB from a 94 Altima KA24E. I had to space it with a piece of 3/16 steel between the TB and intake (N42 was not a direct fit)and used the linkage from a old ASCD for the throttle cable. Nismo's right though its a lot of work. But it looks klean!