240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Woo hoo! My first Z!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:38 PM

Woo hoo! My first Z!

OK, so maybe it's not the greatest most perfect example of a Z that you'll find, but it's mine! I bought my 1973 240Z on Sunday. You can find pics <a href="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/malikot18/">here.</a> I'm the guy with the spiky hair and the "animals taste good" t shirt in case anyone is wondering. The car was out in Tracy, about an hour away from my place in Concord. Even though the car runs, she was left dormant for awhile so I decided it would be best to trailer it home. It had typical rear end clunk (my wife just about freaked out when I shifted into second), and I'm having all the fluid flushed and refilled so that I know what I'm working with. Besides, it's not registered yet and I wouldn't want a vindictive CHP taking it away before I could even get started. The body is straight, the interior is white, and it's blue, just like the 74 260Z that Mom used to drive. I have never built up a car before. I'm still figuring out exactly what I'm getting into. Both the floorboards need to be replaced (f##k'n rust), and it needs bumpers and turn signals as well as a lot of stuff that I haven't discovered yet. Looking forward to getting going with this. I'll be posting updates and a probably a crapload of questions as I go along.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:57 PM

thank you!

Thanks, it's good to be here. Nice to meet another Z lover right here in town! You won't see my Z out on the road anytime soon, but you may see my Camaro.

It appears that I've hit my first hiccup already. I brought the paperwork to DMV to see what it takes to register the car. The car has a salvage title, was last registered in 2002, and I am the 4th time it's changed hands since then. DMV wants a VIN verification from a peace officer or employee (no problem, I know a couple of local cops), a certificate from a lamp inspection station (now this is a problem, the car only has headlights and tail lights, and no housings for sidemarker lights or turn signals), and $469 (definitely a problem, I just spent $1,100 on the car). The DMV clerk was only doing his job, but his sarcastic laugh made me want to hit him.

I've searched the online parts stores for the housings, but all I find are lens kits and bulbs. Any idea where I might find those?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:16 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by malikot
I've searched the online parts stores for the housings, but all I find are lens kits and bulbs. Any idea where I might find those?
240Z - 280Z side markers are all the same & quite easy to find. You can get them from:
local junk yards
www.car-parts.com
www.ebay.com
www.thezstore.com
www.blackdragonauto.com

and maybe someone on here might have a spare set to send ya. Lucky for you, ya live in Cali where most of the world's Z car parts are.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:59 AM

Yeah, I would go to the junkyard for the sidemarker lights. You can find them all day there. If the car has a salvaged title, make sure the frame is straight before you start pouring money into the car. It could have been in an accident.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:33 AM

The body is straight, the car was salvage titled due to theft recovery. It looks alright, but I'm gonna have it checked out anyway.

I probably will go the junkyard route for those since they're just housings. I'm planning on buying some new lenses and some brighter headlights too. And oddly enough, I'm excited about my first trip to a junkyard. I'm sure that will wear off after I get there and start digging through parts.

I was bringing food to one of the tables on the patio at my work last night, and an orange 240Z rolled by with an engine sound that drowned everything else out. I can't wait to get this thing started!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Taste My Rainbow

The orange Z prob had a v-8 in it for that kind of sound.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:55 AM

Maybe not, my '75 drowns everything out...

oh wait, exhaust leak...****.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:51 PM
NisTuner

Sounds like my 83' 280ZXT. No Muffler and Exhaust leak...It'll come together eventually. Congrats on the Z though. Doesn't look too bad. A good wash should clean her up real nice. I'm hoping to get me a 240Z one day. After I get my 280ZXT up to where I want of course.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Did that orange Z happen to be this one?

Well he is from your neck of the woods. Nice father and son project. Anyways, welcome to Zdriver and I encourage you to come and check out one of our meets in the east bay some time. Even if your Z isnt ready, just bring the fam and come to check out the other Z's. There is this old guy, Wade, he does it all the time in his piece of crap honda or beat old durango with the kids in tote. So no worries about what you bring as long as you come out!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:31 AM

indeed, that is the very car that I saw/heard roaring by. That thing is gorgeous!

I run a restaurant in Pleasant Hill so my work schedule is hectic at times, but I'd love to come to a meet if I'm off. Do you post up about them here or do I need to get on a mailing list?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Just shoot me an email at eastbayzs@yahoo.com and i'll put you on the mailing list.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:31 PM

That orange Z is running a Rebello 3.2 Stroker, If I recall correctly. Pretty sure there are some vids of it around.