240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

why you don't ignor the comon rear end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Über User

why you don't ignor the comon rear end clunk

so i know its soooo comon its either the diff mount/bushing/or U joint right? you know, rear end clunk we all get. well, add another possibilty to the mix. mine has gotten the clunk about 3 days ago my 280Z and i go, GREAT after all this work this bullshit happens. well ill get under it and check it out this weekend. right..... bad idea. i just finished sticking in a new starter battery and terminal cables (which hurray my car starts now under its own power no more push starting lol) and so i started it vroom vroom it goes, cool, ill take her for a spin around the block. bakc down the drive way come to a full stock, go to first gear, start letting off the clutch just as i was about under full engagement of the clutch (now mind you im not leaving hard AT ALL) BOOM!!!!! a hilatious metal explosion sound happens followed by a constant clunking and no car movement. i pretty much knew what happened but wasnt to sure. i got "lucky" turns out my "new" bolts i used sheared in half. right off the passenger's side half shalft where it mates to the stub axle flange. great........ errr i mean GHEY!!!!!! so people, let that be a lesson to you, dont ignor the rear end clunk not one bit, and ALWAYS make sure your using top quality steel nuts and bolts. now i gotta go and replace both half shafts and teh drive shaft bolts just in order to feel comfortable driving the car again.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

I am truly sorry to hear that. And after making it all pretty.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Pr0n Addict

i always use the originals and have better luck with it then you do getting new ones!!!!

bummer though. should be a pretty quick job at least. could have been worse
Old 03-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Damn dude, hopefully you can get her up to 100% soon.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Über User

it could have been much worse. im gonna get her back up tommorow after i drop off the 260. ray i got a good battery in the 260 now but since its gonna sit for over a week getting shipped id still bring jumper cables just incase, and its got half a tank in it. drove it today, sounded good though my dad claimed it bogged on him once before it took off, i have a feeling its either an ecu connection (ill check it out) or from the massive amount of sea foam he put into it prior to driving, i also have a box of goodies and im going to send you some new carpet already cut out cause the carpet in it got wet again (why i say get a car cover or keep it in the garage) im also sending you new exterior window trim that has pretty decent squeege ends so i got some good stuff to get you started. you NEED NEED NEED (this is your first purchase and project TRUST ME) to buy a fully body/window/door seal kit. the ones around the windows are still soft but look junky and the drivers side door i think has a small leak. so new seals there and also try adjusting the door. and it should be good for a DD. then you can modify or restor. your choice. im also sending you some good condition seat covers to replace the stock ones (they dont go over the stock you need to remove them and stick them over the foam) i dont know how i have all these good parts lying around and never put them on myself.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 PM

I just had the same thing happen to me at my work. i put cv boots on a customers car and bolted the axle up with new bolts and the car came back the next day on a tow truck. i almost got fired for that...
Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Über User

lol, yeah, it sucks, it looks like one or 2 bolts mightve backed out but i used lock washers.... guh, loctite to i guess next time. but i still did shear at least one. its pretty annoying. always remember people, when replacing driveshaft or half shaft bolts, best quality steel bolts money can buy should always be used! at least no hamr can truley come from this failure.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:16 PM

BRASS BOLTS SON!! haha cant go wrong ... .sur ea little weight might add. but the chances of those things going out are astronomical hahaha. snwbrderphat540 i swear. when iread you rstory and i got to the CLUNK part.. the first thing that came to my head was a sound effect and my 5 speed tranny going out ... ahhh.. .the memories hahaha