240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

VIN information?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 11:23 AM

VIN information?

i've searched the internet for information on the vin number of my 77 280z, i've found what the symbols mean, but i havent found any refrence to the serial number, i'm trying to find if my car is california equipt, i dont belive the hood is the original hood so i dotn want to go by the sticker on the hood. The car didnt have an exhaust sytem when i bought it and i purchased one without a catalytic converter without thinking about the exhaust regulations. i know that the california equiped models had a catalytic converter and all the other models did not have one. So i need to know if my car will pass inspection without one.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:49 PM
I have a present for you...

The vin#s are sequencial on the first gen cars. The only diff I could find on the Cali cars is the catalitic converter and a "vacuum delay valve" just before the EGR valve. The '75 -78 Cali models have a floor temp warning system. A warning light on the consol and a relay under the pass seat. Without the info posted on the car, the smoggers probably won't be able to tell.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:20 AM

There's a code to the leading part of your VIN. The sequential part is appended onto the following code/logic, doc'd on page GI-2 of the FSM:
GHLS30AUVC
If you've got a 2+2, you have the G, otherwise that character is null
H means you have an L28 engine, so we all have that.
L means left hand drive (this implies to me that right hand drive would mean this character would be null)
S30 is the model code for the first generation Z's, so we all have that.
A is there if you have an automatic trans, F if you have a 5 speed, and null character if you have a 4 speed.
U means it was made for USA and Canada (implies null for other markets)
V means California model, if it's Canada it'll be N, and regular old USA federal models will be null character.
C means it had air conditioning.

In addition to the features/differences theramz mentioned, Cali models also had an altitude switch (basically an atmospheric pressure activated on/off switch). If you have one, it's located under the dash, driver side, up above the manual vent cable and hood release. It kinda looks like the door/seatbelt buzzer.

Your under-hood emissions sticker will also say if you had a catalytic converter oem or not. If the emissions tech chooses to look at that, and it says you're missing one, you might have some trouble.

Dave

Last edited by BoulderZ; 07-06-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:48 PM
I have a present for you...

Originally Posted by BoulderZ
There's a code to the leading part of your VIN. The sequential part is appended onto the following code/logic, doc'd on page GI-2 of the FSM:
GHLS30AUVC
If you've got a 2+2, you have the G, otherwise that character is null
H means you have an L28 engine, so we all have that.
L means left hand drive (this implies to me that right hand drive would mean this character would be null)
S30 is the model code for the first generation Z's, so we all have that.
A is there if you have an automatic trans, F if you have a 5 speed, and null character if you have a 4 speed.
U means it was made for USA and Canada (implies null for other markets)
V means California model, if it's Canada it'll be N, and regular old USA federal models will be null character.
C means it had air conditioning.

In addition to the features/differences theramz mentioned, Cali models also had an altitude switch (basically an atmospheric pressure activated on/off switch). If you have one, it's located under the dash, driver side, up above the manual vent cable and hood release. It kinda looks like the door/seatbelt buzzer.

Your under-hood emissions sticker will also say if you had a catalytic converter oem or not. If the emissions tech chooses to look at that, and it says you're missing one, you might have some trouble.

Dave
Dave, I found the same exact info in a Chilton book. I think the book is wrong. I have a 280 (7-77) with Cali emissions, cat, overheat relay under seat, warning light on consol 5 speed, and factory air. The vin# is HLS30---. I also have a '74 260 (RLS30----), and a '70 (HLS30---). I don't think they started the lettering additions until '79.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:36 PM

thanks for the info guys, mine doesnt seem to have any of the signs of a cali model so i think i'll be alright